No announcement yet.

Former Head Coach Mark Turgeon steps down as Maryland coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI Kung Wu there are a few posts here that somehow mysteriously made it in from the Erik Stevenson thread. Most notably the first few responses. Just an FYI.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

This seems like a long overdue move. I'm just surprised jt wasn't initiated by the university and sooner.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Whoa -- freaky.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post
          Wish him nothing but the best yet - I'm not sure if I share the same beliefs as others, but I hold no ill will toward him. If it wasn't for him getting the program turned around and handing it off to GGG, who knows where it'd be.
          This is the camp I'm in.

Was he perfect? No.
          Did he say some things he probably shouldn't have? Yes.

But without him, it's not nearly an attractive enough job to entice GGG to come here.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
            FYI Kung Wu there are a few posts here that somehow mysteriously made it in from the Erik Stevenson thread. Most notably the first few responses. Just an FYI.
            Running some database maintenance crap to see if it fixes it.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I posted this in the Former Shocker Media Mentions & Updates thread prior to the other Turgeon threads popping up. There was an article today that he might resign that came out prior to the official announcement and according to it, it looks like maybe the fans got to Turgeon - https://247sports.com/college/maryla...all-177151367/

Turgeon's decision is in large part the result of major fan unrest at Maryland that made his situation untenable personally and professionally, sources aaid
              Turgeon's team, ranked No. 21 in the preseason AP Poll, has struggled to a 5-3 record and a chorus of fan negativity had grown into a full-throated mob. He's been booed at Xfinity Center at times this season, and there have been chants about firing him.
              Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

This is the camp I'm in.

Was he perfect? No.
                Did he say some things he probably shouldn't have? Yes.

But without him, it's not nearly an attractive enough job to entice GGG to come here.
                agree

Comment

If only he could have recruited and won more “at that level”.

Comment

If this isn't enough for you to keep your job at Maryland, nothing will be.

marylandturgeon.jpg

Maryland has a really cool and proud history, but if you're a fan and Mark Turgeon's finishes aren't enough for you, you need to check your expectations. It's not Duke, UNC, UK, UCLA, or KU.

Comment

They’ll probably engrave “Here Lies Mark Turgeon, T-Rank All-Star” on his headstone.

Is there a T-Rank hall of fame we can nominate him for?

Nevertheless, I hope he uses that chart in his next job interview.

Comment

Wow, Taylor Eldridge mentioned on the Shane Dennis show today that when Marshall got fired, Turge was putting out feelers for a possible return to WSU.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Wow. That is crazy for someone "at that level" to just step down. Wish him the best. I didn't know that Danny Manning was an assistant there.
                          Not sure Danny did either.

Comment

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
                            Wow, Taylor Eldridge mentioned on the Shane Dennis show today that when Marshall got fired, Turge was putting out feelers for a possible return to WSU.
                            Turgeon himself admitted he regretted leaving WSU to me. Could he have been just saying that? Sure. Also that was at the time we were in the Final Four and he was in the NIT.....but he did say that lol
                            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Turgeon himself admitted he regretted leaving WSU to me. Could he have been just saying that? Sure. Also that was at the time we were in the Final Four and he was in the NIT.....but he did say that lol
                              I remember there being conversations in the A&M fanbase about how uncomfortable it was that he gushed about his time at WSU while he was coaching for them.
                              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

The older you get, and the more stable your life becomes, different things mean more to you. Once Mark had the golden ring, being loved meant more.

Pretty sure 100 out of 100 of us here would make exactly the same decisions.

Danny Manning would have given his left testicle for the WSU job at ANY time. He knew how good it was, and he would have left for the next good offer in a minute. He won't win at Maryland and he won't win anywhere. Mark is an outstanding coach. I hope Taylor is wrong about his report today, but I suspect he's 100% right.

Comment

Working...
                                X