X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
      Tyson unfortunately is a volume scorer.
      A volume shooter for sure. I am not sure how interested the NBA will be in a 6-2 35% FG shooting/ 33% 3P shooting guard.

I believeTyson is a better shooter than that but not sure he will show it unless his shot selection improves. I believe Tyson could maintain his rate of scoring on fewer shots if his shot selection was better. That might require fewer ISO plays and getting more shots with the help of his teammates. However, at this point there doesn't seem to be much of an interest in taking this approach from either Tyson or the coaching staff. Probably requires better ball and off-ball player movement than the current offensive scheme provides.

Not sure how to explain Dexter's shooting. 30% from the field inlcuding 26.7% from 3. This from a guy shooting 92% from the line although he doesn't get there a lot. In Dexter's case he is getting good looks for the most part. Just is not making much.

Then throw the issues with the transition game on top of that and you have a team that is not very effective offensively.

With the way the Shockers defend and with their rebounding seemingly improved it wouldn't take all that much improvement on offense to get this team much closer to their full potential. There are a lot of places where the Shocks can improve a little here and a little there that could easily add 10 points a game to their scoring average.

Tyson becoming a little more selective and a little more of a facilitator. He certainly is drawing the defense to him.

Dexter shooting maybe 37% from the field and 33% from 3.

Craig continuing to create easy baskets for his teammates.

Mo understanding his strengths and weaknesses.

Ricky putting a few more brain cells to work to go along with his prodigous athleticism.

And perhaps convert on 1 out of 3 fast break opportunities.

So far this year we have 69 assists and 88 turnovers. Last year the Shocks had 286 assists and 246 turnovers. Need to flip the script on this year's ratio.

If they can do that and maintain their intensity on defense and on the boards they should be cooking with gas.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 27, 2021, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arizona Shocker View Post
        Ah yes, the struggles of a young 5-1 team that was almost 6-0…The season is lost. I cannot believe we didn’t destroy P-5 Missouri by 30 at their place! Come on….

I can understand “in the game / in the moment” anger and disbelief posts as I do it all the time. But If this is how we celebrate a win the day after, then this board needs serious mental health checks.
        We barely got by 3 buy caliber games (should have lost 1 of them). We beat UNLV (picked 7/11 in the powerful Mountain West Conference) and beat Missouri (picked 10/14 in the SEC). We lost against a solid Arizona team (picked 4th in the Pac-12). No one is saying a lost season there drama queen, just some observations. How about taking the other side of the equation rather than complaining about the nay-sayers. Will hang up and listen.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
          I listened to the game while driving (and watched some on the ESPN app) - are there video highlights to be found anywhere other that Eldridge's twitter videos how WSU screwed up some fast breaks?

Comment

• Our “5”s combined 10-14 from the field. That’s something to build upon.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
              I listened to the game while driving (and watched some on the ESPN app) - are there video highlights to be found anywhere other that Eldridge's twitter videos how WSU screwed up some fast breaks?
              I have a replay of the game avaiable with my ESPN+ and DirectTV Stream subscriptions.

Also, here is a replay of the game on youtube:

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

A volume shooter for sure. I am not sure how interested the NBA will be in a 6-2 35% FG shooting/ 33% 3P shooting guard.

I believeTyson is a better shooter than that but not sure he will show it unless his shot selection improves. I believe Tyson could maintain his rate of scoring on fewer shots if his shot selection was better. That might require fewer ISO plays and getting more shots witht the help of his teammates. However, at this point there doesn't seem to be much of an interest in taking the approach from either Tyson or the coaching staff. Probably requires better ball and off-ball player movement than the current offensive scheme provides.

Not sure how to explain Dexter's shooting. 30% from the field inlcuding 26.7% from 3. This from a guy shooting 92% from the line although he doesn't get there a lot. In Dexter's case he is getting good looks for the most part. Just is not making much.

Then throw the issues with the transition game on top of that and you have a team that is not very effective offensively.

With the way the Shockers defend and with their rebounding seemignly improved it wouldn't take all that much improvement on offense to get this team much closer to their full potentiall. There are a lot of places where the Shocks can improve a little here and a little there that could easily add 10 points a game to their scoring average.

Tyson becoming a little more selective and a little more of a facilitator. He certainly is drawing the defense to him.

Dexter shooting maybe 37% from the field and 33% from 3.

Craig continuing to create easy baskets for his teammates.

Mo understanding his strengths and weaknesses.

Ricky putting a few more brain cells to work to go along with his prodigous athleticism.

And perhaps convert on 1 out of 3 fast break opportunities.

So far this year we have 69 assists and 88 turnovers. Last year the Shocks had 286 assists and 246 turnovers. Need to flip the script on this year's ratio.

If they can do that and maintain their intensity on defense and on the boards they should be cooking with gas.
                This is certainly a better approach than Arizona Shocker. I will actually try and think about our 5-1 start ,although weighted on the side of criticism, in a less critical way. Thanks for the post.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

You’re aware they beat a team… in the American… picked ahead of us….
                  Picked by who? KenPom had Missouri at around 120. And that is probably optimistic of Ken from what I saw last night. WSU was the favorite on the road per KP.

On a neutral floor, right?
                  U will obviously be greatly encouraged to know that WSU actually WON at Missouri. Road wins are obviously not to be scoffed at.

Maybe this team will be known as a great defensive team. And if it is, then this team can be a serious contender in the AAC. And if they can get their offensive warts worked out, they maybe can challenge Houston. The next couple of games will tell the tale.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Yes, road games are always rated as harder than neutral or home wins. We were projected to win by a very thin margin or perhaps lose (I can’t remember), but because we exceeded the per possession margin projected, we moved up. The opposite happened for us when we beat JSU and South Alabama by less than predicted on a per possession basis; we moved down a little.
                    I see. Thanks Kel.
                    FINAL FOURS:
                    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                    Number of Times Ranked: 157
                    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                    #3 - Dec. 2017
                    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                    #2 ~ March 2014
                    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      Our “5”s combined 10-14 from the field. That’s something to build upon.
                      Yep

Comment

• Mo vs Kenny Statistical Comparison Per 40 Minutes of Playing Time:

FG%: 52.6% vs 50.0%
                        FT%: 52.9% vs 54.5% (Both guys need to step it up at the line)
                        Rebounds: 10.8 vs 8.1 (Mo deserves credit for his improvement here)
                        Fouls: 6.8 vs 3.5
                        Assists: 0.3 vs 2.3
                        Turnovers: 6.2 vs 3.1
                        Assist to Turnover Ratio: .05 vs .75
                        Steals: 1.2 vs 1.9
                        Blocks: 2.2 to 1.2 (Tre King averaged 1.75 blocks per 40 minutes last year)

Kenny with maybe a little advantage statistically. Mo has been a better rebounder which is very important and a better shot blocker. Mo much more foul prone so far and his assist to turnover numbers are very poor (surely those can only get better moving forward).

Both need to be better and I think can be significantly better from the free throw line. Mo showed last year he is capable of that. Kenny seemingly is a better perimeter shooter than Mo but so far he is not capitalzing on that. I think that will come as the game slows down for him.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 27, 2021, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Picked by who? KenPom had Missouri at around 120. And that is probably optimistic of Ken from what I saw last night.
                          I believe the poster was referring to Mizzou beating SMU in a tourney.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

We barely got by 3 buy caliber games (should have lost 1 of them). We beat UNLV (picked 7/11 in the powerful Mountain West Conference) and beat Missouri (picked 10/14 in the SEC). We lost against a solid Arizona team (picked 4th in the Pac-12). No one is saying a lost season there drama queen, just some observations. How about taking the other side of the equation rather than complaining about the nay-sayers. Will hang up and listen.
                            Oh, I am the drama queen? Listen to yourself. Get a life man.

Go Shox!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              Mo vs Kenny Statistical Comparison Per 40 Minutes of Playing Time:

FG%: 52.6% vs 50.0%
                              FT%: 52.9% vs 54.5% (Both guys need to step it up at the line)
                              Rebounds: 10.8 vs 8.1 (Mo deserves credit for his improvement here)
                              Fouls: 6.8 vs 3.5
                              Assists: 0.3 vs 2.3
                              Turnovers: 6.2 vs 3.1
                              Assist to Turnover Ratio: .05 vs .75
                              Steals: 1.2 vs 1.9
                              Blocks: 2.2 to 1.2 (Tre King averaged 1.75 blocks per 40 minutes last year)

Kenny with maybe a little advantage statistically. Mo has been a better rebounder which is very important and a better shot blocker. Mo much more foul prone so far and his assist to turnover numbers are very poor (surely those can only get better moving forward).

Both need to be better and I think can be significantly better from the free throw line. Mo showed last year he is capable of that. Kenny seemingly is a better perimeter shooter than Mo but so far he is not capitalzing on that. I think that will come as the game slows down for him.
                              If we’re just going off of what has happened so far, Mo’s TOs are so bad that they alone make it clear KP has been far better imo. Also think that even though Mo is averaging more blocks, KP protects the rim better. Feels like if Mo doesn’t block a shot or take a questionable charge he concedes the bucket, and KP has had multiple nice contests going vertical without a block. That’s without talking about KP’s ability to stretch the D.

Comment

• WSU has outrebounded every team but Arizona (one of the biggest teams in the country) and have more offensive board than every opponent except Mizzou last night.

I'm very happy about that. I'd love them to be great at everything, but rebounding is a key in my opinion. I think the things we're not good at yet (and those things are numerous) are more easily corrected.

Comment

Working...
                                X