No announcement yet.

Wichita State Shockers vs. UNLV Game Thread 11-21-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty solid effort to have a 400+ post game discussion that ended after 1 a.m. CST, isn’t it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

that's what they say about everyone we play. We play such an ugly style that we make everyone look good
      Perhaps. And to be fair I’ve really only watched the NBA and WSU games so far this year so I don’t have a lot of perspective on how teams like WSU, UNLV, Arizona, Michigan, etc stack up among the NCAA landscape.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Is all that you do here is comment on opposing coaches’ endearing qualities?
        What would you expect from somebody who hasn't posted a single thing about WSU win, but has multiple posts arguing ES is a good guy, just misunderstood.

Comment

• As a reminder for the UNLV fans complaining about the officiating. Here is how the last 10 minutes of the game went for UNLV and WSU on offense:

UNLV
          Points from field goals: 2
          Points from free throws: 10

WSU
          Points from field goals: 14
          Points from free throws: 4

UNLV scored a basket at the 10:06 mark and did not score another basket until the 0:05 mark. There was definitely a team that was depending on the officials blowing their whistle to win this game down the stretch and it wasn't WSU.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• The Vegas player basically shoved TE out of bounds.

The Shocks weren't "Fake tough" last night, eh?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Is all that you do here is comment on opposing coaches’ endearing qualities?
              Unlike you I prefer to recognize and support coaches who possess and exhibit professionalism.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

What would you expect from somebody who hasn't posted a single thing about WSU win, but has multiple posts arguing ES is a good guy, just misunderstood.
                Show me a post where I wrote that Erik Stevenson is a good guy. You cannot because I never posted that statement.

What I did post was goshockers.com and SC Gamecock website data that demonstrates Erik is a better player that the vapid tripe posted on the embarrassing Erik Stevenson thread.

Nabob refers to posters as "sunshine pumpers" when a poster offers positive comments on the Shockers' prospects this season; how should posters be referred to when they are unable to read data and form a conclusion that is not in agreement with their preconceived opinions? Are they Haters or just stupid?

Comment

• Wow - I am old. I will be paying for staying up that late for 3 days, but it was so worth it. Random thoughts...

Porter - He is turning into the player I was hoping he'd be. I loved his highlights in Juco and thought we had a good one, but his ceiling is higher than I thought. Sneaky athletic and his timing and instincts on D and rebounding as well as those shake and bake moves are things you can't teach. I'd like to see him drive it more (that slash late in the 2nd half was awesome but he left the finish short...but it showed his ability). I think with Pohto playing more and spreading things out hopefully we'll see CP take his guy of the dribble more. He doesn't seem to turn it over much but he still makes things happen, just like to see him get even more aggressive. His best two games have been against our best opponents...this is going to be fun watching him.

More Monzy! 8 pts and 3 rebounds in 12 minutes with classic Monzy energy.

Pohto is just what we needed. Smart, instinctive, tall, moves well, and an excellent shooter. He needs to get stronger but not many FR bigs don't. Seems like FR will have a lull in their first season at some point, but even if he does his ability to hit from 3 is going to free up our guys to drive. He has shown grit against some bigger, older guys as well.

Tyson...doesn't that sick day 10 days ago seem like forever ago? Loved his emotion at the end of the game while he was carrying us offensively down the stretch. He seemed much more efficient on this shots (didn't check stats) because he didn't seem to force as many. That will be key for us - he is confident and very talented, but I'd like him to get his shots in the flow more knowing he has several other guys who can score.

IB - He has these guys leaving it all on the floor. This team brings the effort as much as any I've seen and I've been going since Cal Bruton darted around with the headband. I'd like to see some better shot selection but this isn't the first team in the last few years I've thought that (hello ES, MM, SHJ, ...). Loved the press and hopefully we'll see more of it. I'd like to see more Pohto and obviously Monzy, but I think IB is trying to get Mo to play back into the Mo of conf play LY and DD needed to guard Hamilton last night which I think cut into Monzy's time.. My recollection is we won a lot of close games LY too...IB seems to have these guys confident at the end of the game which has gotten us some wins.

Big picture from this weekend...Shocks didn't play a perfect game against AZ and was a free throw from winning. UNLV thought they were embarrassing us (I think UNLV gave us one of their better efforts) and even though we acted like we weren't allowed to score on a fast break we beat them on the road. We all know the Shocks have several things to work on, but this team man's up every night and I like the trajectory. They will be one of those Shocker teams that nobody wants to play.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

What I did post was goshockers.com and SC Gamecock website data that demonstrates Erik is a better player that
                    Care to wager on the entire season whether ES or TE have the better overall stats? Not just 3-4 games, which are still in TE's favor.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Care to wager on the entire season whether ES or TE have the better overall stats? Not just 3-4 games, which are still in TE's favor.
                      He’s got a great track record for predicting things. I would back out.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                        As a reminder for the UNLV fans complaining about the officiating. Here is how the last 10 minutes of the game went for UNLV and WSU on offense:

UNLV
                        Points from field goals: 2
                        Points from free throws: 10

WSU
                        Points from field goals: 14
                        Points from free throws: 4

UNLV scored a basket at the 10:06 mark and did not score another basket until the 0:05 mark. There was definitely a team that was depending on the officials blowing their whistle to win this game down the stretch and it wasn't WSU.
                        We took them out of their offensive flow the last ten minutes for sure

Comment

• image_8550.jpg

Offensive rating - Etienne vs. Stevenson in their first two seasons at Wichita State.

etiennevsstevenson2.jpg

PORPAGATU! rating (points over replacement per adjusted game at that usage - basically a measure of overall player value) - Etienne vs. Stevenson in their first two seasons at Wichita State.

Etienne adds more value overall and is a better offensive player. Game. Set. Match.
                          Last edited by Kel Varnsen; November 22, 2021, 04:11 PM.
                          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Offensive rating - Etienne vs. Stevenson in their first two seasons at Wichita State.

PORPAGATU! rating (points over replacement per adjusted game at that usage - basically a measure of overall player value) - Etienne vs. Stevenson in their first two seasons at Wichita State.

Game. Set. Match.
                            Good information. My limited experience regarding 76 on this site is that he won’t change his previously chosen narrative on people even when shown provable data, so I don’t think anything will come of this.

Comment

• etienneporpagatu.jpg

Etienne PORPAGATU! - 3.9

stevensonporpagatu.jpg

Stevenson PORPAGATU! - 1.4

This means that Tyson Etienne is nearly three times more valuable to his team than Erik Stevenson. And WSU is a much better team than South Carolina.

Any thoughts, 76?
                              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post

Bro, that is a strong statement
                                Bobb,
                                Agreed and upon reflection, one I may end up retracting. His play on the court is infuriating, but it was his behavior after the game that really urinated me off.
                                We've agreed on a number of topics lately. I'm not sure if that's a good sign or not.

That is all.
                                Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Working...
                                X