No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs. Southern Alabama Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I ABSOLUTELY understand putting Tyson on the floor. Well, for 5-10 minutes. Doing what we did is just stupid.

Comment

• We ride with TE, because he is our best player.

We are always going to look easy to defend when we can't make wide open 3s. But.... we had wide open 3s. If we just make 2 or 3 more and win by 15 instead of 6, would we be saying we are easy to defend?

I dunno. Just 2 sides to every coin. Seemed like we had a ton of good looks (which tells me we have a system designed to get good looks and it worked). We just didn't make the.. (which maybe means we're easy to defend because the other team just lets us brick them).

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Starting the offense 50 feet from the bucket with Craig’s back turned protecting the ball is giving incredible confidence to the defense. Then our 4 and 5s have to post out higher giving Mo way to much room to make a mistake and lose the ball. He succeeded last year by catching it in tight and only having 1or two steps to get a shot up. It all fits together if the guards are put pressure so that the defensive post has to consider help that gives Mo enough space to catch and spin and score. We tried back doors to punish them for overplaying us but threw radical bounce passes and threw it away. I would start Qua and coach Craig to play with more urgency. Ricky on the bench is a waste.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
          We ride with TE, because he is our best player.

We are always going to look easy to defend when we can't make wide open 3s. But.... we had wide open 3s. If we just make 2 or 3 more and win by 15 instead of 6, would we be saying we are easy to defend?

I dunno. Just 2 sides to every coin. Seemed like we had a ton of good looks (which tells me we have a system designed to get good looks and it worked). We just didn't make the.. (which maybe means we're easy to defend because the other team just lets us brick them).

I think defenses realize we’re such a putrid outside shooting team that they simply aren’t defending the outside shot as much. So while they appear like good, wide open shots, it’s moot if you don’t have players that can consistently make them.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            IB riding and dying with TE, even when he clearly doesn’t have it, shows the coaching shortcomings that are sure to follow. That is such a shortsighted mindset. He appears to be a coach that’ll make little adjustments, require no accountability for bad play, and just “roll the ball out there”.

Consider me worried.
            I always consider you worried. If not baseball it's basketball, if not that then it's the coaching abilities of several if not all coaches, the athletic director if not that it's the university president. Not that that is a bad thing just worrisome.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post

I always consider you worried. If not baseball it's basketball, if not that then it's the coaching abilities of several if not all coaches, the athletic director if not that it's the university president. Not that that is a bad thing just worrisome.
              Nabob is just being true to himself - he sees everything about the Shockers through a negatve point of view.

Comment

• I don’t think it’s fair or reasonable to expect a finished product in game two. However, it fair and reasonable to want to see some improvement from game to game even if it’s incremental.

That leaves the question, did we improve from game 1?

I’d say it was somewhat of a mixed bag. I thought the offense looked more cohesive despite the poor shooting. Some guys played better (Qua, Ricky, Monzy) some guys played worse (Tyson).

I really just thought Tyson was actively bad all night, particularly his defense. His shot selection wasn’t much better. I’ll chalk it up to being sick. So far he’s seeing a lot of double teams, especially on screens. That seems like something we should be able to come up with a counter strategy for. I’m not worried about Tyson’s offense but I think his defense has been below average all season. Am I wrong? It feels like he’s always out of position and having to sprint to close out on his man then getting beat off the dribble because he’s off balance.

Comment

• Wasn’t excited about the way we played yesterday. I don’t think I’m a “sunshine pumper” I think I’m just a lot more level headed than the way overly negative nancies on this board.

If they play how they’ve been playing it’ll be 0-2 in Vegas no doubt.

However, people making jump conclusions about shooting ability aren’t using their brains.

This team shot 34-percent from 3 last year.

What about this roster makeup makes you think it’s going to be worse? I suppose it’s possible, but seems pretty unlikely. Gilbert was a sub-30-percent guy. Trey Wade shot 31-percent.

Not at all sure what will happen with Shox in 2021-22, but they won’t be a 25-percent 3-point team and will likely be better than last year.

Just use your brains.

Comment

• Grant made the adjustment like we expected. He’s going to be a huge plus for this team and should only get better as the season continues.
                    • Ricky, holy crap. Thank god he’s on the team.
                    • Not quite as good of a game but Pohto continues to impress and those wide open threes are going to start falling.
                    • Our dribble drive and pick and roll defense is a work in progress. Others have mentioned this but if you can’t keep your man from getting by you, maybe give them a little more space? Especially if they aren’t great shooters, which S Alabama didn’t strike me as.
                    • Its called a spin move. It’s been in the game for years. South Alabama used it ALL THE TIME and it was like the shockers had never seen it before.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post

Are you satisfied with baseball over the last 10 years? The conference opponents that will encompass us soon after realignment? That basketball hasn’t won a tourney game in 5 years?

This type of thinking is exactly what an athletic department wants. Never question anything, accept new, lowered expectations, rinse, and repeat. Kinda sad.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Are you satisfied with baseball over the last 10 years? The conference opponents that will encompass us soon after realignment? That basketball hasn’t won a tourney game in 5 years?

This type of thinking is exactly what an athletic department wants. Never question anything, accept new, lowered expectations, rinse, and repeat. Kinda sad.
                        I have no idea where you come up with some of this stuff. Point out where any of my posts have said I was satisfied with any of the examples you used. Just because I pointed out your worrisome nature which in essence I only expanded upon in your original sentiment, you use it to try and project what you believe to be my thinking. Just because I don't belabor those same sentiments that you hold doesn't mean I am happy with the way things have gone in the last 5-10 years. So if someone doesn't buy into your thinking they are just a tool. This is the truly sad part. Go Shocks
                        I do like your comments on the ES topic as well as comments on the various valley teams.

Comment

• Oh my......just spoke with a friend who has had tickets for 50 years, an alum. He couldn't go or watch (long story) but he spoke to the guy who sits in front of him at the games. That gentleman told him that he and his wife walked out in disgust with a few minutes to go. That surprises me. We played badly, but that seems over the top.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                            Oh my......just spoke with a friend who has had tickets for 50 years, an alum. He couldn't go or watch (long story) but he spoke to the guy who sits in front of him at the games. That gentleman told him that he and his wife walked out in disgust with a few minutes to go. That surprises me. We played badly, but that seems over the top.
                            Yea .. definitely wasn't the worst game I've ever seen them play in Koch Arena

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                              Oh my......just spoke with a friend who has had tickets for 50 years, an alum. He couldn't go or watch (long story) but he spoke to the guy who sits in front of him at the games. That gentleman told him that he and his wife walked out in disgust with a few minutes to go. That surprises me. We played badly, but that seems over the top.
                              Guess they missed the WIN. Maybe I should have said they missed us not losing.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Guess they missed the WIN. Maybe I should have said they missed us not losing.
                                Cant Imagine their reaction to the Louisiana Tech debacle.

Comment

Working...
                                X