Wichita State vs. Southern Alabama Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
    That gentleman told him that he and his wife walked out in disgust with a few minutes to go.
    Not new. For the past 50 years, there has been 2-3 Thousand who walk out with disgust with a few minutes to go to beat the rush out to their parked cars.

Maybe fewer when it is a close game.

Comment

• Folks obviously never went to a game in the 90's. Having gone to probably all of them, I am not sure I would ever walk out because of the play, especially a close game. SMH.

This team may be flawed, but good grief, they are 2-0 FFS.

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Yea .. definitely wasn't the worst game I've ever seen them play in Koch Arena
        A while back but that ESPN Game Day against SIU after our Sweet Sixteen run was the worst game I've seen from Cohen forward. We could barely bring the ball up. A waxing by Tulsa in like 1992 came close. We were just outclassed by Tulsa but that SIU game was a real stinker. Yesterday doesn't even rate.

Juju was bad across the board yesterday. Ask Florida and Texas.

Jenn Sterger road show for the SIU game? We were very un-Chad in her presence.
        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Gonna have to think on this one…at least in Koch Arena era (since renovation).

2003-04. Game AFTER Fridge headband game. Played Drake. First half was awful. Guys couldn’t shoot. They couldn’t pass. They couldn’t catch the lousy ball. Mark absolutely ripped the guys’ asses at half. I mean, it was glorious. I just knew they’d come out firing. Nope. Lost by 11.

2004-05. Creighton. Led at half. Life was good. Then Creighton proceeded to shoot 16/19 in the second half. I mean, FFS, they couldn’t have done that in dummy offense. It seemed like each of their misses were o-rebounds, so we possibly didn’t have a single stop in the second half. Lost by 14. I hated life at that moment for reasons more than basketball (though basketball wasn’t helping).

I’m sure there are others but I’d prefer not resuming therapy by having to relive some of those of those debacles.
          78-65

Comment

• Anyone catch the dude in jeans and the red cap behind the USA bench?

Young man was INTO it from the tip.

His genitals took a beating for almost 2 hours as well.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post

I have no idea where you come up with some of this stuff. Point out where any of my posts have said I was satisfied with any of the examples you used. Just because I pointed out your worrisome nature which in essence I only expanded upon in your original sentiment, you use it to try and project what you believe to be my thinking. Just because I don't belabor those same sentiments that you hold doesn't mean I am happy with the way things have gone in the last 5-10 years. So if someone doesn't buy into your thinking they are just a tool. This is the truly sad part. Go Shocks
                I do like your comments on the ES topic as well as comments on the various valley teams.
                So you don’t agree with my line of thinking but you also aren’t satisfied with various results in the last half-decade? Kind of a quandary, isn’t it?
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Ok that is over the top! Leaving in “disgust”?

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Taylor nailed it. A lot of great looks that didn’t fall, sloppy catches that should have been lay-ups, and a few blocks at the rim really skewed the look of the first half.

Now we can only hope the stat about Dex playing the four catches the coaching staff’s attention. It seems most coaches struggle with the concept of undersized fours (We almost screwed up Evan’s senior year by trying to force him to the three). Hell WSU often played too big during year one of the American. We should have fooled around with RK at the five with four guards (Shamet, Reaves, Frank, and Haynes-Jones). Let RK set picks and roll to the cup for rebounds.

Comment

Louisiana Tech (it appears you beat me to this one) and Tx. Southern, recently, come to mind.

Comment

• The route to better offense is "cut out the sloppy turnovers and hit the open shots" . I agree with that. But playing DD at the 4 position I do not. Now is not the time to change the routine in the lineup. Does DD start magically knocking down 3 pointers because he is playing the 4position? I doubt that.. I firmly believe WSU offense will get better. But the most important thing in my opinion is to continue to play Defense and Rebound.

Defense and rebounding is what keeps you in games when the shots are not falling. NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO FORGET THAT. I am hoping the Shocks stop letting the other teams players drive to the cup and shoot layups. Keep your man in front of you. Rebound Rebound and Rebound. Any man that miss a block out has to sit down. Any player constantly turning it over has to sit down.. And keep shooting the free throws. Take them to the cup and finish. Go Shocks. Get her done.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
                          The route to better offense is "cut out the sloppy turnovers and hit the open shots" . I agree with that. But playing DD at the 4 position I do not. Now is not the time to change the routine in the lineup. Does DD start magically knocking down 3 pointers because he is playing the 4position? I doubt that.. I firmly believe WSU offense will get better. But the most important thing in my opinion is to continue to play Defense and Rebound.

Defense and rebounding is what keeps you in games when the shots are not falling. NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO FORGET THAT. I am hoping the Shocks stop letting the other teams players drive to the cup and shoot layups. Keep your man in front of you. Rebound Rebound and Rebound. Any man that miss a block out has to sit down. Any player constantly turning it over has to sit down.. And keep shooting the free throws. Take them to the cup and finish. Go Shocks. Get her done.

I don't think we know for sure right now the answer, but I wouldn't close the door to this idea.

Dexter is probably our best rebounder, and defender so far this year. It also gets Ricky Council into the game at the 3 more often, and if he begins to rebound, maybe that is a better lineup (at least part of the time) this year. I also think that Dexter will begin to hit his 3's at some point, or at least his 3 yr. shooting history says he is at least a 35-39% 3 ball shooter. I'm not impressed with the play of our 4's (Monzy and Joe) so far either (and at 6'6-6'7), and I don't think that hey bring that much more height to the table than Dexter. Now if Tre King becomes a Shocker, I see some other possibilities.

Comment

• The offense is not playing with discipline right now. Not sure if that is too much freedom allowed by the coaching staff or guys not following the game plan but is is painful to watch.

I have no problem with the minutes TE played. He is our best player and team leader, sick or not. Although I will say the offense looked much better with Ricky out there.

Mo needs to be coming off the bench and Pohto needs to start. Kenny had some issues with catching the ball in traffic and switching on defense but he looked far superior to Mo.

Liked Qua composure and defensive intensity much better this game.

Comment

• I feel like Tyson is trying to hard to do iso plays for himself instead of letting the PG run the offense and play his role as the 2 guard

Comment

• In my opinion, Shocker basketball is all about defense, rebounding and taking care of the ball. If you do those three things you give yourself a chance be competitive in most games.

So far this season we’ve seen a return to those main pillars although all three areas still have room to improve.

Obviously the offense hasn’t been good.

I think three point shooting, particularly by Tyson (17%), Dexter (17%), Pohto (0%) and Pleasant (25%) is the main culprit for our offensive woes. Some of it is shot selection but a lot is just not cashing in wide open looks.

Comment

Working...
                                X