Wichita State vs. Southern Alabama Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
    If our offense is the future of college basketball, I may be done watching. It's ugly and not fun at all to watch. I miss the days of watching a cohesive team with obvious chemistry that can run an offense that opens someone up for a good shot. Maybe it's because defenses have pushed the game in this direction, but that doesn't make it any easier to watch.
    The reduced the shot clock too much making teams who get the 4 and 5 stars have a bigger advantage because you have to play more individual ball when times running out.

Comment

• Early season thoughts...
      1) Why the hell did HCIB wait until 30 minutes into the game before switching to a zone. Was there a magic number of unabated drives to the basket by USA before he finally wised up?
      Where the hell was his assistants sitting there watching the same thing and not making a suggestion? Unreal!
      Also, why the hell is Pohto sent to set the high ball screen 25' away from the basket. Was a big favor to the USA defense - over and over.
      2) There are a number of Mo defenders on here and I appreciate the positive support. But Mo is Mo and he continues to make some of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen. He has been there now for 4 years and still does some of the same dumb things he did as a Freshman.
      3) First time seeing Pohto and understand the enthusiasm about him. Just a natural looking player, who although had a freshman like game today has that look of a possible big time player.
      4) Etienne was sick and looked it. The off balance shot with 30+ seconds left in the game was just dumb game management.
      5) The thought of RC4 teaming with Pohto as a 1-2 punch is something to look forward too - cause you can see it coming.
      6) The tandem of Grant and Porter running the point works - and will get better. Both bring a little something different to the position and will keep defenses guessing.
      7) Thought Jackson came and brought energy with him - especially at a time when things looked dicey. One of those guys who doesn't blow up the box score, but really helps the team in other ways.

If this team doesn't make some serious improvement in the next couple of weeks, Vegas could get ugly.

That is all.
      Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• And another thing. If MU shoots another 3 point shot this year he should be benched immediately. I can understand if the shot clock is winding down, but any time else is just stupid.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

When has either played a good game this year. DD is missing so many WIDE OPEN 3 pointers. And can we please stop passing the ball to MU . I know that sounds hard, but WTF is he going to do with it. Miss a wide open layup, throw the ball away, and play volleyball on a rebound. And then when he makes a shot skip down the court like he has done something. . Talking about stupid. The veterans on this team have not pulled the weight they need to. It is very disappointing.
          Dex has been missing threes but he's overall played very well.

Tyson has not played well outside of a few minutes last game. I expect that to change.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Dex has been missing threes but he's overall played very well.

Tyson has not played well outside of a few minutes last game. I expect that to change.
            DD shot badly much of last year as well.

Comment

• I'm afraid it looks like another year of playing down to the competition. We'll not get a good look at the young guys because the older guys can't seem to put inferior teams away. Hope IB can keep them somewhat happy.
              Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Post-game thoughts:
                • Ricky Council IV is the only player on WSU who can consistently drive the basketball and score. When Council and (healthy) Etienne are on the floor at the same time other teams should have trouble stopping us.
                • Tyson Etienne played sick and looked rough. I think IB left him out there too much, but Tyson is our guy and still hit the game clinching FTs.
                • Dexter Dennis needs to hit his open looks. This has been an issue since his sophomore year, and other teams play off him at times because of it. Dexter’s ball handling looks really good this year and he seems to be having more success driving to the basket. This is a positive development.
                • Mo Udeze looked bad on numerous occasions but did have 12 rebounds. Above all else we need Mo to rebound. However, some of the turnovers were head scratching.
                • Qua Grant looked good at both ends of the court. It was nice to see him get to the basket and be a ball hawk on D.
                • Craig Porter also looked good, but I am surprised he only played 13 minutes. He did let his man get past him a few times, so maybe IB decided Grant was the better option on D.
                • Joe Pleasant plays like a carbon copy of Trey Wade, but he seems better at shooting threes. Hopefully he grows more comfortable as the season progresses.
                • Kenny Pohto looked a little shaky out there today. A few nice plays but also a few mistakes. I wasn’t surprised to see Mo take the Lions share of minutes in this game. I am still ecstatic about Potho’s potential.
                • Monzy Jackson was a great spark off the bench. I hope he can work his way into more minutes because he definitely makes a positive impact for the Shocks.
                • Isaac Brown probably coached his worst game since taking over as HC. We only switched to zone D with 7 minutes left in the game when they were driving past our guards all game. That change should have been made during halftime at the latest. Our offense continued to look stagnant (unless RCIV had the ball in his hands). Tyson Etienne should not have played as much as he did, given how bad he looked.

Looking ahead to Tarleton State, hopefully the Shocks can build a nice lead so that Chaunce Jenkins and Isaac Abbidde can play. It sounds like Jalen Ricks might be redshirting.
                Last edited by TrackSuitAndTie; November 13, 2021, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• Was Ricks suited up today?

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                    Was Ricks suited up today?
                    No, he's likely to redshirt

Comment

• 1. First, I'll preface my comments by saying I have had too much Makers - Teams fault
                      2. Enough TE excuses - he was awful today and two of the last four games. Not an NBA player
                      3. Give me Pohto, DD, RC4, TE and QG..........those are our best five with CP, MO, Monzy and
                      JP subbing
                      4. Team is under achieving as well as the coaching staff
                      5. TE shot 37% from the field last season and just under 40% from deep - lots of shooter can do that
                      6. I can live with DD's offense/shooting cause he plays good D
                      7. Starting Photo would motivate Mo
                      8. RC and QG were our best players today
                      9. Offense looks like crap and defense at times,as well
                      10. Coaches better get engaged

Comment

• Getting back from the game....

Look terrible. I know TE was sick...but was everyone else except RC4? I thought we were an athletic team that was gonna get out and run? After seeing this offense for 2 games....they need to turn into 90's era Marymount to score. Even then it might be a struggle.

Comment

• Just got home from the game. Honest question, what the hell kind of offense are we running? Do we run plays anymore? If we play a really good team, we will be embarrassed.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                            If our offense is the future of college basketball, I may be done watching. It's ugly and not fun at all to watch. I miss the days of watching a cohesive team with obvious chemistry that can run an offense that opens someone up for a good shot. Maybe it's because defenses have pushed the game in this direction, but that doesn't make it any easier to watch.
                            It's NBA basketball!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post

It's NBA basketball!
                              Without NBA players.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post

It's NBA basketball!
                                Yeah, I don't watch that

Comment

Working...
                                X