Shockers and NIL deals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    So I looked at TP’s Twitter page and it looks like he’s begging for NIL money. He also signed up with Yoke Gaming. I didn’t know what it was, but apparently you pay to play video games with athletes. Dexter and Mo are also signed up with Yoke. I don’t know about you all, but that’s the last thing I would want my kid doing when they’re supposed to be in college and playing D1 ball - 2 full time jobs. Now they have a 3rd distraction of playing games for extra money, which is a big time suck, as anyone with kids knows. Hope this doesn’t adversely affect the other aspects of their commitments.
    TP should sign on with Acme Brick.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      So I looked at TP’s Twitter page and it looks like he’s begging for NIL money. He also signed up with Yoke Gaming. I didn’t know what it was, but apparently you pay to play video games with athletes. Dexter and Mo are also signed up with Yoke. I don’t know about you all, but that’s the last thing I would want my kid doing when they’re supposed to be in college and playing D1 ball - 2 full time jobs. Now they have a 3rd distraction of playing games for extra money, which is a big time suck, as anyone with kids knows. Hope this doesn’t adversely affect the other aspects of their commitments.
      These kids play video games all the time. Might as well get paid to do it...

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post

What if some players will be playing video games so much that it affects their ability on the court. Up til 3 am playing video games with a game that day/night? Wonder if there will be "limits" on how much time they can "work" per week for all these athletes.
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post

What if some players will be playing video games so much that it affects their ability on the court. Up til 3 am playing video games? Wonder if there will be "limits" on how much time they can "work" per week for all these athletes.
          that's my concern. You need extra money so you figure "just one more game". It's hard enough limiting yourself without the monetary motivation.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            Will we be willing to discuss the advantages/privilege white women have?

Hanna and Haley Cavinder turn TikTok fame into NIL cash - Sports Illustrated
            This is or at least was a somewhat unforeseen consequence of the original court cases when they were filed. Athletes posting “modeling” pics or videos on social media will dwarf the Kournikova or Sharapova craze.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post

Years ago I played a fair amount of online poker. After a long series of discussions, one of the sites offered me a deal that I'm guessing is similar to these gaming sites. It was a minimal amount, to say the least. But what I learned is that I still wanted to play "on my time", in addition to what I was doing "for pay". I would think kids, much younger than I, might also experience a similar desire.

Just my .02.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

This is or at least was a somewhat unforeseen consequence of the original court cases when they were filed. Athletes posting “modeling” pics or videos on social media will dwarf the Kournikova or Sharapova craze.
                Which will likely lead to a variety of inquiries/lawsuits regarding exploitation. Fun times ahead. Imagine if you're the Associate AD at Michigan that signs off (because you have literally 100s) on a book deal only to find out the more fetching of the volleyball team decided to do a GGW ish calendar. Bump, set, spike indeed.

Comment

I think that for the few who have built up huge followings over years because of dunks, like Zion, or beautiful & athletic young women like the Fresno basketball twins or Olivia Dunne, an LSU gymnast who has millions of followers, should be able to cash in. The reality for 98% of college athletes is their NIL value, like most pro athletes, is close to nil, nada, nothing. These athletes need to think small and collaborate with their fellow athletes to make their followings larger. They might be able to make some trade deals with local restaurants they like in exchange for promotion. Maybe Ricky Council could make a deal with an attorney. “When you need legal counsel, don’t call Ricky, call Patterson legal group.” Dexter could be Dexter ‘Do Dah Diner’ Dennis. The point is unless you have a really big following you are not going to make much unless you are such a big star in your sport that you are recognizable to the masses across the country.

Comment

My guess is a lot of them are up until 3 AM playing video games regardless of their "sponsorship" with some gaming company.

Comment

The Perverse Consequences of the NCAA Ruling

The Risks of the Supreme Court's NCAA Decision - The Atlantic

Resources at most schools are not only finite but also precariously balanced among core costs such as academic investments, financial aid, personnel, facilities—and athletics. An athletics arms race would, in all likelihood, jeopardize resources currently designated for other student support. Millions of students outside revenue-generating sports programs, including low-income, first-generation students, could be left with a dwindling portion of already insufficient financial aid.

This seismic shift in college athletics is taking place at a time when it’s harder than ever for poor students to afford college. The costs associated with recruiting future student athletes could undermine efforts to recruit and retain low-income students. As it is, nearly three in four college students in the United States have less money than they need to pay for college. Institutions at all levels must now confront the necessity to establish strong, clear guardrails of policy and finance around their educational mission—that is, around the learning that happens between faculty and students—and around the financial-aid investments that open college doors to every qualified student.

Comment

I remember Shocker footballers who had earned “jobs” during their careers. They had some counts against them before their 60s probation for earnings paid to players without work being done. It’s going to be a new issue once again.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                          The Perverse Consequences of the NCAA Ruling

The Risks of the Supreme Court's NCAA Decision - The Atlantic

Worth noting that the Supreme Court ruling in discussion here is a separate issue from the nil stuff. That was about caps on academic expenses paid by the school, whereas nil is about athletes having income options outside of the school support they receive.
                          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker82/85 View Post
                            I think that for the few who have built up huge followings over years because of dunks, like Zion, or beautiful & athletic young women like the Fresno basketball twins or Olivia Dunne, an LSU gymnast who has millions of followers, should be able to cash in. The reality for 98% of college athletes is their NIL value, like most pro athletes, is close to nil, nada, nothing. These athletes need to think small and collaborate with their fellow athletes to make their followings larger. They might be able to make some trade deals with local restaurants they like in exchange for promotion. Maybe Ricky Council could make a deal with an attorney. “When you need legal counsel, don’t call Ricky, call Patterson legal group.” Dexter could be Dexter ‘Do Dah Diner’ Dennis. The point is unless you have a really big following you are not going to make much unless you are such a big star in your sport that you are recognizable to the masses across the country.
                            Dexter "Do Dah Diner" Dennis for THREEE!!!
                            This three brought to you by muh mah mummah.
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

TP should sign on with Acme Brick.
                              forgive my ignorance but who is TP?

Comment

The Process, Erik Stevenson.
                                Go Shocks!

Comment

Working...
                                X