No announcement yet.

Shockers and NIL deals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this is going to have the biggest impact with players and agents in the long run. We will get March Madness video games but only the top teams will have recognizable players, and even that is going to be a nightmare for the companies. In the end, teams that paid players will continue to pay players, and teams that didn’t still won’t. Players like Tyson will have agents and players like Erik will learn their place. And the beat goes on.
    Last edited by shock; July 1, 2021, 07:23 PM.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Feels like a competitive disadvantage to come out and say we aren't going to be proactive on this.
      100% agree. The NCAA's landscape has significantly changed. If they do not have a marketing team with a menu of revenue options to sell recruits, WSU will be behind other universities. We know that the "Blue Bloods" already have and advantage and they will be beating the drum of what economic opportunities they can provide.

And for Boatright to admit that they will not assist players for NIL opportunities seems to not be taking advantage of the new rule changes.

I will admit that I am ignorant on this so maybe their are legalities that Boatright and WSU's lawyers are afraid to open themselves up to.

Comment

Adapt or die... This is a path WSU will be forced to travel at some point, I'm shocked they aren't being proactive about creating an opportunity here to improve our recruiting pitch. Hopefully they're just caught off guard and will quickly figure out how to adapt to this new environment. Wichita fans/sponsors/businesses have a lot of support to offer, we love our basketball team and players, do things the right way but take advantage of our "home court", especially when it isn't limited to CKA.

Comment

My suspicion is that ADs couldn't predict the details of what the NCAA would agree on to make actual departmental changes. Plus, I don't think our athletic dept. is exactly flush with enough cash right now to hire someone. Give them time to get a feel for it and for the athletic revenue landscape to normalize.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            My suspicion is that ADs couldn't predict the details of what the NCAA would agree on to make actual departmental changes. Plus, I don't think our athletic dept. is exactly flush with enough cash right now to hire someone. Give them time to get a feel for it and for the athletic revenue landscape to normalize.
            Seems like there’s an opportunity here for the Barton School of Business and the Center for Entrepreneurship

Comment

Jenkins becomes the third, joining Mo and Dex.

Comment

Soooo are we getting College Hoops 2K back, orrrrr?

Comment

Originally posted by Fake Gregg Marshall View Post
                  If I recall correctly, the game wasn't popular enough to absorb the extra costs of using a player's likeness (however that would be decided) or to use unfamiliar, generic likenesses, so they stopped producing it. It's possible they could do a reboot now that it's been awhile since it was made.

Comment

If I recall correctly, the game wasn't popular enough to absorb the extra costs of using a player's likeness (however that would be decided) or to use unfamiliar, generic likenesses, so they stopped producing it. It's possible they could do a reboot now that it's been awhile since it was made.
                    I know :/ Here’s the thing, though. If I’m a college player, I just think it would be so cool to be in a video game. I’d take $20 and a free copy. Please, Lord, let this happen. I’ve been waiting 14 years.

Ed Bannon sucks.

Comment

Correct. Considering all the layoffs they made (but still managed to give the AD a BIG raise, even if deferred) it seems unlikely they will absorb a new position/department right away.

And, imho, we will lose good coaches to lack of support if things don't change, and change fast.

Comment

I heard that Tyson can sell cars, and we've had a history of people like Rusty Eck, etc. in the car industry. Just sayin

Comment

Originally posted by Fake Gregg Marshall View Post
                          The problem is they would have to negotiate with every single player and school. There is no players union like in the NBA.

You'd likely see a game with a small subset of official players

Comment

Translation: Now that I can get paid, I'm staying in college.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                              I heard that Tyson can sell cars, and we've had a history of people like Rusty Eck, etc. in the car industry. Just sayin
                              I think the fewer tax cheating rapists the program can be associated with the better.
                              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post

I think the fewer tax cheating rapists the program can be associated with the better.
                                Tyson is a tax cheating rapist?

Comment

Working...
                                X