No announcement yet.

2021 WSU transfers starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we start another thread to discuss Mo's deficiencies and strengths? Come out here to see where players in the portal are landing and it's the same group of posters with the same arguments that have been going on for pages.

While IB may be looking for the "3-headed monster", it may not happen. Guys in the portal want minutes. By the time a coach gets to a player who's willing to be the third option at a position, that coach is going to be recruiting Bilau.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
      Can we start another thread to discuss Mo's deficiencies and strengths? Come out here to see where players in the portal are landing and it's the same group of posters with the same arguments that have been going on for pages.

While IB may be looking for the "3-headed monster", it may not happen. Guys in the portal want minutes. By the time a coach gets to a player who's willing to be the third option at a position, that coach is going to be recruiting Bilau.
      Hear hear...
      Who brought Mo into this topic anyway? ; D Shouldn't He be in the Rebounding (MO) Is Our Weakness thread that some genius started? Never mind the fact that rebounding was hardly our biggest weakness?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Because IB talked about having a 3 headed Monster at Center. A 3 headed Monster means to have 3 players dividing up the 40 minutes at that position which would also mean Mo having less than the 25 minutes that he had last year.
        Even if IB said any of these vague things you attribute to him, which I’m skeptical, it isn’t some indictment of Mo. It’s recognizing what is obvious - we didn’t have enough depth at center behind Mo this year.

Playing three guys at center doesn’t preclude Mo from averaging around 25 minutes a game which is what I anticipate he will do next year.

Echinique/Mo/IPBC/Mit - 25/10/9/8
        Morris/Nurger/Willis/Mit - 24/13/18/5

Both guys who I assume you would say are better than Mo. Both played as part of a committee of centers.

As excited as I am about McFarlane he is not going to come in and replace Mo on the depth chart this year. If he does, great, that will mean we have two really good options at that position. More than likely he will play somewhere in the 10-18 minute range depending on how good he is, how quickly he adjusts and picks up the system and if he can eventually play some PF.

Neither Muscadin nor Pohto, if we’re so lucky to sign either, is going to come in and take Mo’s minutes next year. They’d likely be in the 5-13 range depending on the same questions I had regarding McFarlane.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Even if IB said any of these vague things you attribute to him, which I’m skeptical, it isn’t some indictment of Mo. It’s recognizing what is obvious - we didn’t have enough depth at center behind Mo this year.

Playing three guys at center doesn’t preclude Mo from averaging around 25 minutes a game which is what I anticipate he will do next year.

Echinique/Mo/IPBC/Mit - 25/10/9/8
          Morris/Nurger/Willis/Mit - 24/13/18/5

Both guys who I assume you would say are better than Mo. Both played as part of a committee of centers.
          His exact words were that he prefers a 3 Center Rotation, and that we need to get longer at certain positions. I disagree with you that, if we get the 2 other Centers we are looking for, Mo will average 25 minutes a game. This year, he only did that because we had Poor Bear, and Bilau as his back ups. They were awful this year. If they get the correct combination, he is going to most likely start but his minutes will go back to 20 minutes. Thus far, we haven't found that other Center but as you mention there are a couple who would fit into finding 10 minutes per game to go with McFarlane and Udeze. Other articles also point out that McFarlane has big time shot blocking instincts and skills.

These are his exact words from the story from April 1.

"Big men will also be near the top of WSU’s wish list this spring with the departure of Wade and Poor Bear-Chandler. Brown said he likes to have a three-center rotation, so expect the Shockers to be in the hunt for backups to Udeze. Sources close to the program say WSU is closing in on landing a junior-college big man.

“We’ve got a guy or two that’s ready to (commit),” Brown said Monday on his radio show. “Hopefully early next week we’ll get that done. We have weaknesses at certain positions that we need to get longer and more athletic at. So we’re trying to get more length and athleticism.”

Comment

His exact words were that he prefers a 3 Center Rotation, and that we need to get longer at certain positions. I disagree with you that, if we get the 2 other Centers we are looking for, Mo will average 25 minutes a game. This year, he only did that because we had Poor Bear, and Bilau as his back ups. They were awful this year. If they get the correct combination, he is going to most likely start but his minutes will go back to 20 minutes. Thus far, we haven't found that other Center but as you mention there are a couple who would fit into finding 10 minutes per game to go with McFarlane and Udeze. Other articles also point out that McFarlane has big time shot blocking instincts and skills.

"Big men will also be near the top of WSU’s wish list this spring with he the departure of Wade and Poor Bear-Chandler. Brown said he likes to have a three-center rotation, so expect the Shockers to be in the hunt for backups to Udeze. Sources close to the program say WSU is closing in on landing a junior-college big man.

“We’ve got a guy or two that’s ready to (commit),” Brown said Monday on his radio show. “Hopefully early next week we’ll get that done. We have weaknesses at certain positions that we need to get longer and more athletic at. So we’re trying to get more length and athleticism.”

What in that quote disses Mo? You are reading way too much into this to support your unfounded irrational opinion.

Comment

"Big men will also be near the top of WSU’s wish list this spring with the departure of Wade and Poor Bear-Chandler. Brown said he likes to have a three-center rotation, so expect the Shockers to be in the hunt for backups to Udeze. Sources close to the program say WSU is closing in on landing a junior-college big man.

Thanks for providing the quote. I’m glad we’ll continue to see the three man post rotation that we’ve used during the Marshall era and that IB is going after length and athleticism.

Pleasant appears to be longer and more athletic than Wade. Check.

McFarlane is certainly longer than Mo. Is he more athletic? It’s definitely possible. He should be an immediate upgrade over IBPC and Bilau. Check.

We will see what happens this year minutes wise with the center rotation. I’m sure we will all have a close eye considering the enjoyable back and forth discussion of the position.

Comment

• The best thing about having a quality 2 or 3 centers is that we can mix and match based on matchups. Clearly Mo is really good against certain players and less effective against others. Having a taller guy is no magic pill, but it will help against teams like Memphis.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Thanks for providing the quote. I’m glad we’ll continue to see the three man post rotation that we’ve used during the Marshall era and that IB is going after length and athleticism.
                  McFarlane is certainly longer than Mo. Is he more athletic? It’s definitely possible. He should be an immediate upgrade over IBPC and Bilau. Check.
                  As I was hunting for the story where IB had talked about athleticism, and 3 man Center rotation, in one of Taylor’s articles, I saw a quote from McFarlane’s JC coach where he emphasized one of Matt M. greatest strengths as his natural instincts to block shots. MM averaged 2.0 per game, and there isn’t a statistic that documents missed shots that naturally occur from altered shots caused by a good shot blocker.

Comment

• Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post

What in that quote disses Mo? You are reading way too much into this to support your unfounded irrational opinion.
                    I never once said that the IB dissed Mo. I said that they knew he had deficiencies (rebounding and rim protecting), and that he needed help doing those things. The quote above points out that the coaches wish list said that we needed to add length and athleticism. The coaches also said they wished for a 3 Center Rotation. Brown hasn't quit on Mo. He still thinks he has ability and wouldn't say something disrespectful. They've added a couple of pieces that can help but I would bet that they haven't stopped looking for one more Chadrack Lufile, Kadeem Coleby type of player. Hopefully they find him.

Comment

• The thing is, we all know that Mo has deficiencies. Every player on this team has deficiencies or they would be starters at Duke or Kentucky. Every center we've had here in the past 20 years has had holes in their games. Mo played the minutes he played not because he's an All-AAC player, he played the minutes because our backups were seriously flawed. We all know we would be better with more help underneath. It looks like we have one or 2 guys on the way. Mo will probably still be the main horse simply due to his experience. We should be better if he can get more breathers. Next year Mo will be even better than this year. He will still be 6'8" and there's not much he can do about that. Shaq was the same height and was a 1st teamer his senior year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        The thing is, we all know that Mo has deficiencies. Every player on this team has deficiencies or they would be starters at Duke or Kentucky. Every center we've had here in the past 20 years has had holes in their games. Mo played the minutes he played not because he's an All-AAC player, he played the minutes because our backups were seriously flawed. We all know we would be better with more help underneath. It looks like we have one or 2 guys on the way. Mo will probably still be the main horse simply due to his experience. We should be better if he can get more breathers. Next year Mo will be even better than this year. He will still be 6'8" and there's not much he can do about that. Shaq was the same height and was a 1st teamer his senior year.
                        God***n right.

I'm glad Mo picked us over LSU or Ohio State, which he had the chance to do. Can you please verify that for us Shockm?

Hustle & Muscle
                        Last edited by ShockingButTrue; April 26, 2021, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• No real surprise, but Alterique finally hit the transfer portal while "also exploring his professional options."
                          "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                            No real surprise, but Alterique finally hit the transfer portal while "also exploring his professional options."
                            Interesting that he’s even considering another year in school but good for him either way!

I’m thankful he came to WSU and was a big part in winning an AAC Championship and getting WSU back to the dance.

Comment

• Eh, go take your missed 40 footers with three seconds still on the clock somewhere else.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                                No real surprise, but Alterique finally hit the transfer portal while "also exploring his professional options."
                                It's not the correct translation, but a Mexican restaurant in Wichita should create a commemorative dish for him called the Tres Señores.
                                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                                X