2021 WSU transfers starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    I agree he has limitations, so did Carl Hall. Carl came back his senior year with a 8-10’ jumper. No reason Morris can’t do the same. He still has more to bring to the table next year and maybe the year after.
    I agree Udeze can bring some game to the table. He is no Carl Hall however. Hall could rebound and negotiate himself around the basket, Udeze hasn't shown that skillset yet. I believe he has it in him because of his energy, but numbers don't lie.

Comment

• If Udeze gets in position, he's one of the best scorers we have had

The big thing that jumps out, is his usage percentage is lower than all those others. The others had more willing passing guards that set them up very well, yet Udeze still scored at a higher percentage than them. The talent is there .. not sure we have utilized it completely.

Comment

• And every other player on that list could and did face up and hit jump shots. That made them more valuable and explains their higher usage rates.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          Udeze still has a limited skillset. Yes, he's worked hard, but we really don't benefit if he's playing 25 minutes a game. I know we had depth issues last year that unfortunately made it a need. But he's not that good with his back to the basket unless he's against way overmatched defenders. He's not a good or willing passer. He can't really face up and provide much. Hopefully with more depth, he won't play so much ole defense. Get him within two feet of the basket and he's much better. That's usually done with drive and dish opportunities where all he has to do is dunk it or lay it in.

He has a place, we're just better off if someone unseats him at some point. He's definitely not a game changer or someone I'd consider a go to option when you need a basket.
          I agree. Udeze improved his game this year, and was more than serviceable imo, he has a lower ceiling, than we need. While Jamie E. was still improving and showing a higher ceiling, even when he graduated, I think that Mo have reached his ceiling.

The Memphis Center (Cisse), and Centers similar to him, just has to stand behind Mo, and with his athleticsm, he can stop Mo in his tracks. He can bother and block every shot Mo puts up. Mo was bothered by Memphis, S. Florida, etc. just because of their length.
          Last edited by Shockm; April 20, 2021, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• Mo might not be a jump shooter but he does have a nice face up and drive from about 10-15 feet. Hall didn’t step out and shoot jumpers until his senior year.

I remain confused by statements that Mo doesn’t have a post up game or can’t navigate under the basket. I must be watching a different game.

My knee jerk statement is that Carl was a better rebounder than Mo. And yet if you look at the stats he averaged 5 boards per game his Junior season in 22 minutes. Last year Mo averaged, you guessed it, 4.7 boards in 23 minutes.

Mo still has plenty of room to grow specifically on defense and cleaning the glass but he was good last year. Not serviceable, good. Our issue at center was a lack of depth behind him. The three headed monster approach has been successful during the Marshall years. It was more like 1.5 headed monster last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
              Mo might not be a jump shooter but he does have a nice face up and drive from about 10-15 feet. Hall didn’t step out and shoot jumpers until his senior year.

I remain confused by statements that Mo doesn’t have a post up game or can’t navigate under the basket. I must be watching a different game.

My knee jerk statement is that Carl was a better rebounder than Mo. And yet if you look at the stats he averaged 5 boards per game his Junior season in 22 minutes. Last year Mo averaged, you guessed it, 4.7 boards in 23 minutes.

Mo still has plenty of room to grow specifically on defense and cleaning the glass but he was good last year. Not serviceable, good. Our issue at center was a lack of depth behind him. The three headed monster approach has been successful during the Marshall years. It was more like 1.5 headed monster last year.
              You compare Mo to Carl Hall but Hall played a lot of minutes at the 4 position his Senior season which was also our F4 season. We also had Ehime Orupke and Shadrack Lufile who played minutes at the 5 so Carl had to average approximately 10-15 minutes at the 4 position to go along with Cle Early.
              To compare Mo with Carl Hall isn't accurate. To compare Ehime with Mo isn't an accurate comparison.

You seem to have a deep love affair with Mo, but you fail to recognize that he may only be able to go so far, and if this year is his ceiling, we need more to go along with him. As I pointed out before, teams with BIG Centers give Mo a problem by just being to use their length to give him problems. Mo can contribute and play major minutes (15-20 minutes imo), but he has limitations.

Comment

• Hall's teams were also better rebounding as a whole. That definitely wasn't the case with this past seasons team.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

You compare Mo to Carl Hall but Hall played a lot of minutes at the 4 position his Senior season which was also our F4 season. We also had Ehime Orupke and Shadrack Lufile who played minutes at the 5 so Carl had to average approximately 10-15 minutes at the 4 position to go along with Cle Early.
                  To compare Mo with Carl Hall isn't accurate. To compare Ehime with Mo isn't an accurate comparison.

You seem to have a deep love affair with Mo, but you fail to recognize that he may only be able to go so far, and if this year is his ceiling, we need more to go along with him. As I pointed out before, teams with BIG Centers give Mo a problem by just being to use their length to give him problems. Mo can contribute and play major minutes (15-20 minutes imo), but he has limitations.
                  Compare Mo’s stats to any of our previous centers in their Junior year and he stacks up well. Then remember that those guys all played in the Valley their Junior year.

Does he have limitations? Sure, what player on the team doesn’t? He needs to improve his rebounding most of all and also his defense. If he could develop a reliable 15 foot jumper to use on occasion it would be great.

I know exactly what Mo is as a player which is why I appreciate him so much. You seem to want him to be some NBA level center which he isn’t and we’ve never had at WSU* in the Marshall era. We get big men who are undersized, lazy, good at some things, not so good at others, etc then coach them up to accentuate their skills and develop their weaknesses. I look at it as the center by committee approach. We didn’t have that last year, at all. Mo wasn’t the thing holding us back at center last year it was the lack of depth and options behind him.

Darnell Brodie - 6’10, 275 - Mo had 22, 4 boards.
                  Michael Durr - Mo had 12 and 7.
                  Cisse - Mo had 10 points.

He had good games and bad games when we faced teams with a larger front line.
                  Last edited by pie n eye; April 20, 2021, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• and to think...he almost didn't come back.....

Turn that record the other direction....

Comment

• And by the way, Lufile barely played as a junior.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        And by the way, Lufile barely played as a junior.
                        Stats say he played 8 minutes per game.

Comment

Stats say he played 8 minutes per game.
                          Right, but did not play in every game. He was a very minor player that year.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Compare Mo’s stats to any of our previous centers in their Junior year and he stacks up well. Then remember that those guys all played in the Valley their Junior year.

Does he have limitations? Sure, what player on the team doesn’t? He needs to improve his rebounding most of all and also his defense. If he could develop a reliable 15 foot jumper to use on occasion it would be great.

I know exactly what Mo is as a player which is why I appreciate him so much. You seem to want him to be some NBA level center which he isn’t and we’ve never had at WSU* in the Marshall era. We get big men who are undersized, lazy, good at some things, not so good at others, etc then coach them up to accentuate their skills and develop their weaknesses. I look at it as the center by committee approach. We didn’t have that last year, at all. Mo wasn’t the thing holding us back at center last year it was the lack of depth and options behind him.

Darnell Brodie - 6’10, 275 - Mo had 22, 4 boards.
                            Michael Durr - Mo had 12 and 7.
                            Cisse - Mo had 10 points.

He had good games and bad games when we faced teams with a larger front line.
                            You think he should continue to play 30 minutes a game. Imo, he should play maybe 20 minutes give or take. We have no interior defense or rebounding. Pohto would help in this area and on offense. McFarlane and Pohto could divide time and with extreme competition, our best players at the 4 and 5 could divide minutes. Let’s be better.

Maybe you think we should should just go with 10 players on our roster or fill the spots with players who aren’t capable of contributing or creating competition for spots. The best players should play and this year, I hope we win another AAC Championship, with a full schedule this time.

Comment

You think he should continue to play 30 minutes a game. Imo, he should play maybe 20 minutes give or take. We have no interior defense or rebounding. Pohto would help in this area and on offense. McFarlane and Pohto could divide time and with extreme competition, our best players at the 4 and 5 could divide minutes. Let’s be better.
                              If it wasn't for Mo's 6 blocked shots and 6 rebounds (tying for the game lead) against the mighty glass-eaters of houston WSU would have lost their biggest game of the year. You, know the one that basically won the conference for WSU, and for all intent and purposes got them invited to the dance? Are we talking about the same Udeze who kept us in the game against Drake and their 6'10" 275 lb. pivot, while Tyson was going 0-fer from the field, with 1 point and 1 assist? You must be talking about a different Udeze. You seem to do that a lot.

Do you consider taking charges a tough display of on-the-block defense, because you proudly give the impression you don't?

Marshal's gone dude, and the Shocks are gonna' be alright under Brown, ok? He will continue to bring in some BIG men to help Mo on the boards. Really.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

If it wasn't for Mo's 6 blocked shots and 6 rebounds (tying for the game lead) against the mighty glass-eaters of houston WSU would have lost their biggest game of the year. You, know the one that basically won the conference for WSU, and for all intent and purposes got them invited to the dance? Are we talking about the same Udeze who kept us in the game against Drake and their 6'10" 275 lb. pivot, while Tyson was going 0-fer from the field, with 1 point and 1 assist? You must be talking about a different Udeze. You seem to do that a lot.

Do you consider taking charges a tough display of on-the-block defense, because you proudly give the impression you don't?

Marshal's gone dude, and the Shocks are gonna' be alright under Brown, ok? He will continue to bring in some BIG men to help Mo on the boards. Really.
                                It was 5 blocked shots, not 6 but still a great game. You know he laid an egg in the first Houston game and only had 3 rebounds. We lost by only 7. In our losses to Missouri and OSU he combined for 14 points and 5 rebounds. We can play this game all night. Udeze is serviceable...nothing else. I am glad he is a Shocker and I root hard for him and all other players each game. The post position isn't a strength of ours with Udeze in the game. It also isn't a major weakness. It just is what it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X