• Show
Clear All

• Brannen on leave at Cincy...

Comment

• I’ve seen this movie before
      The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post

I take this as a sign that the penalties are coming soon. And the attorneys have inside info that they are going to be severe.
        I had this same thought but concluded it was wishful thinking. I hope you are correct!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

But why would they get rid of a way out. This is literally a F you to the NCAA. I think it's obvious that KU thinks the NCAA can't survive without them.
          Off the cuff, my guess is that it's either expressed, implied, or common knowledge that Self could say "Okay, well you can make me bulletproof and at least have a chance of keeping the band playing, or I can retire/resign and good luck with those sanctions and attracting a new coach either before it's resolved or after. I don't owe you anything because we haven't been penalized yet. And oh by the way does my old contract say I can't cooperate with the NCAA? Take a look at that and let me know."

I would be interested in any corporate lawyer insight on this one - I used them a lot but I am not one. molly jabali always struck me as one.

True story that I hesitated to post in the past:

Sometime in the last 10 years, I played golf with a guy that wanted to do business with me. He was/is filthy rich (I am not, he just wanted to do business with the company I represented), and funded an AAU team. On that team was a McDonald's All-American whose name you would immediately recognize, and that McDonald's All-American was one of the ones that could literally write his own ticket anywhere to play for any program.

This guy was in charge of his recruiting. He told me about all of the calls he had with every top program from Coach K on down, and how most of them were good guys but a few weren't.

The interesting thing was when I asked him about Baylor. I specifically asked whether they paid players, and how they got top flight worldwide players to go to Waco to a deeply religious school.

He said that Baylor didn't pay. They had great facilities and staff and made a great pitch on how they could prepare their athletes for the next level and offer a good education and support system. The reason I noted earlier that he was filthy rich is because the $100K numbers getting thrown around are in his couch cushions. Even $500K would have been irrelevant to him and his "mentee".

HOWEVER, the next thing he said was really interesting.

He said "but you're always going to have the ___________s and ___________s that are out there offering money if that's what you're basing your decision on".

The first school he named was Kentucky. The second was Kansas.

I nodded and smiled and said "interesting". And it makes my memories of 78-65 even sweeter.

In other words... I think Kansas has it coming. And I think they're playing a dangerous game with the NCAA. As I've said in the past:

"It's one thing to tempt fate. It's quite another to give it the finger."

Comment

• Originally posted by Good News View Post

Off the cuff, my guess is that it's either expressed, implied, or common knowledge that Self could say "Okay, well you can make me bulletproof and at least have a chance of keeping the band playing, or I can retire/resign and good luck with those sanctions and attracting a new coach either before it's resolved or after. I don't owe you anything because we haven't been penalized yet. And oh by the way does my old contract say I can't cooperate with the NCAA? Take a look at that and let me know."

I would be interested in any corporate lawyer insight on this one - I used them a lot but I am not one. molly jabali always struck me as one.

True story that I hesitated to post in the past:

Sometime in the last 10 years, I played golf with a guy that wanted to do business with me. He was/is filthy rich (I am not, he just wanted to do business with the company I represented), and funded an AAU team. On that team was a McDonald's All-American whose name you would immediately recognize, and that McDonald's All-American was one of the ones that could literally write his own ticket anywhere to play for any program.

This guy was in charge of his recruiting. He told me about all of the calls he had with every top program from Coach K on down, and how most of them were good guys but a few weren't.

The interesting thing was when I asked him about Baylor. I specifically asked whether they paid players, and how they got top flight worldwide players to go to Waco to a deeply religious school.

He said that Baylor didn't pay. They had great facilities and staff and made a great pitch on how they could prepare their athletes for the next level and offer a good education and support system. The reason I noted earlier that he was filthy rich is because the $100K numbers getting thrown around are in his couch cushions. Even $500K would have been irrelevant to him and his "mentee".

HOWEVER, the next thing he said was really interesting.

He said "but you're always going to have the ___________s and ___________s that are out there offering money if that's what you're basing your decision on".

The first school he named was Kentucky. The second was Kansas.

I nodded and smiled and said "interesting". And it makes my memories of 78-65 even sweeter.

In other words... I think Kansas has it coming. And I think they're playing a dangerous game with the NCAA. As I've said in the past:

"It's one thing to tempt fate. It's quite another to give it the finger."
            Could not agree with you more - this action by KU has legal strategy trumpeting through out it. IMO the Beakers are placing their interests above all else and very probable Self's lawyers are influencing the situation to insure Bill's best interests are served by the Beakers overall legal efforts.

Interesting story regards the Beakers - they are who they are.

Comment

• The KU boosters give cash Christmas gifts to walk-ons. I have it on good authority.
              Livin the dream

Comment

• The Texas Basketball wiki page says they are coached by Chris Benedict Beard. Tech fans aren’t happy
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                  The KU boosters give cash Christmas gifts to walk-ons. I have it on good authority.
                  That's the least of their infractions. Everyone knows Dollar Bill's friend and neighbor is Doug Compton. Compton has been paying players cash for 30+ years through his various cash businesses that's he parlayed via his early days as a bookmaker.

He's as filthy dirty of a cheater as there is, and it would take nothing for the NCAA to discover any of it, they willfully choose not to.

They are as dirty as dirty gets, and they've been like that since Larry Brown was chasing coeds while pouring drinks behind the bar of one Compton's watering holes.

This is not the case of boosters putting $100 in napkins when they invite the team over for a dinner (happens all the time) or somebody picking up dinner when they see a player at a local restaurant. This is coordinated, planned and sold cheating, and it's organized by a close personal friend of the Head Coach who lives on the same gated, private, restricted walled community.

Comment

• Has the Pat Forde article from 3 days been posted? I’m not capable but what a great read

Comment

• The ongoing investigation clouding the men's basketball program did not dissuade the Jayhawks' administration one bit.

Comment

• And my friends wonder why I can't stand the Scofflawhawks.

Comment

• Why won't idiots like Doucheman "investigate" this? Seems to be way more egregious and damaging to the sport than FHCGM. Nonsense...

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                            Why won't idiots like Doucheman "investigate" this? Seems to be way more egregious and damaging to the sport than FHCGM. Nonsense...
                            It costs too much to get a story from someone who has already been paid so we'll.
                            "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post

It costs too much to get a story from someone who has already been paid so we'll.
                              True dat.

Comment

• UNC has hired Hubert Davis? I think I read the scroll right. Not surprised that they kept it in the family.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X