Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Year

So figured since the season is officially over, I'd start the conversation about next year. With it being the weird COVID year, we have the opportunity to add 2 more people while returning everyone if we wanted. Obviously that wont happen and the seniors may or may not stay and we will likely have a transfer or two (hopefully not 6-7 like it has been)

Players:
    Seniors

Gilbert - We likely don't win some of the games we won without Gilbert but we also likely win a couple of the games we lost with a different PG. He is what he is and is what he was at UCONN. He is an extremely gifted PG that doesn't always make the best shot selection considering his ability to make those shots. He's at his best when creating for others. If he wants to come back, considering it's a free scholarship, you 1000% bring him back. His experience is invaluable. EXPECTATION: Goes Pro overseas.

Trey Wade - Better than many fans give him credit for. Not a great shot maker but makes key baskets when needed. Shot selection really improved throughout the year. He plays his position undersized which limits his potential. His toughness and hustle is key. Same as Gilbert, if he wants to come back, you bring him back. EXPECTATION: I could see him returning. I'm 100% ok with that.

Bush and Herrs - Thanks for the years and best of luck in whatever they do.

Juniors

Dexter - Started the year rough, but was our best overall player to end the year. That is what we need from him going forward. Keep up the defense, continue to improve on his ability to drive and finish. He's one of about 3 players that is absolutely critical that we return. EXPECTATION: He returns

Udeze - Really finished the year strong. He's undersized and struggles with true big men, but thankfully that's not as common in our league (though more common than the MVC). He needs a secondary big man to really switch up with him or potentially play along side him. We need him back. EXPECTATION: He returns

Porter - So much potential in some ways, other ways very disappointing. He's absolutely our best creator. The fact that he refused to shoot for most of the year really limited his ability to create. He finished the year 2-5 from 3 and 14-36 from the field in 246 minutes. We need him to be a threat to shoot even if he isn't a score first PG. You can't play that many minutes and only shoot 36 times. If he can work on the confidence on that part of his game it could really be a big upswing for us. His defense was ok i felt. Obviously was pretty good at blocking shots for a guard, but struggled to stay in front of some of the faster players. If he wants to come back, you bring him back. EXPECTATION: If Gilbert comes back, I could see him transferring. If Gilbert goes, I think he comes back.

Poor Bear - I always felt like he had the most upside of our bigs but something just isnt clicking. He seems to be a great kid that can step in and do admiral in not letting the big man spot fall apart when Udeze is out, but is a complete non factor in many ways. Udeze plays bigger than he is (and gets in trouble for it) while Poor Bear seems to play smaller than he is. It's tough but unless we very quickly land an impact big man with one of our two available ones, we likely need his scholarship to really find someone to play with Udeze. There should be plenty in the transfer portal. EXPECTATION: He's a transfer candidate to me. He could go the Midtgaard route and go to a smaller conference and really have a good year.

Trevin Wade - Quick but likely too undersized to make an impact. He's obviously got skill, but didn't get to show it this year. He might be the best PG defender, but struggles on the offensive end. Didn't get to see him enough vs GOOD competition to make a final judgment on him. He might be acceptable for PG depth depending on who else we land. EXPECTATION: Might depend on what Trey does. I think if Trey stays, he wants to stay. If Trey goes pro, I think he transfers.

Remy Roberts - Keeps on doing what he does for the team behind the scenes. EXPECTATION: Stays if Dexter stays. If not, I think he transfers down for playing time.

Sophomores

Etienne - Leader of the team. NBA potential if he can work on his game. Beginning of the year he showed off his ability to drive way more. End of the year it fell off. Obviously did not end the year on a high note. Shot selection really suffered when he was the 100% focal point of opposing teams. He really needs one other consistent threat on the offense so teams can't sell out on him. Obviously, this is an overly critical analysis of the Co-Player Of the Year. He's what makes this team tick and we 10000% need him back and focused and leading the team. Work on shot selection and how to get better shots and he could repeat as Player of the Year IMO. EXPECTATION: He tests the draft waters but returns.

Clarence Jackson - Extremely happy we get 3+ years of him (hopefully). He owns that junkyard dog aspect. He's Senior level Rashard Kelly. Unlimited motor, loves to get boards, has a decent ability to put the ball on the floor and a decent ability to shoot the 3. The game slowed down for him throughout the year and he started playing more under control. If he can just do slight incremental improvements in the key areas ( securing rebounds with 2 hands, improving driving, adding a few offensive moves to his game etc). He's an all conference caliber player IMO. He's one of the underclassmen that is CRITICAL that we keep IMO. EXPECTATION: His mom is all in on WSU and already said after the game she's looking forward to him playing here next year so I expect him back.

Freshman

Council IV - The face of the future of WSU. He had a rough couple games to end the year, but he's a freshman. Vast majority of freshman don't look like Baker and Van Vleet did in their Freshman postseasons. He showed throughout the year the offensive toolset to be a nightmare for opposing teams. What he needs to do? Spend the entire summer side by side with Dexter learning how to play defense at Dexter's level. Know Dexter's every thought, motion, muscle twitch. Do that and he's a POY caliber player by his Junior year. Goes without saying, we NEED him back. EXPECTATION: I sure hope he's back. I don't see any reasons from this year that he wouldn't be but stranger things have happened and he's going to have ALOT of people in his ear telling him where he should go. I just hope he listens to the ones that truly have his best interests at heart.

Seymour - Lots of potential IMO. He needs to spend the summer in the weight room and get 20-30 lbs of muscle on him. Can we move him into Kerry's house? Is that allowed? He showed some flashes here and there in extremely limited minutes but you can't teach his size and agility. If the work ethic is there (no inside information if it is or isnt), he could be a key cog going forward. EXPECTATION: He's another i really hope he's back and see no reason why he wouldn't be. He's also lined up to get expanded minutes going forward if he can work on his size a bit.

Bilau - Oh Bilau .. I really don't know what to think. He has the size of a big man and the agility of a 3 guard it seems. Yet, nothing seems to click. Partly because he doesn't get playing time but if the rumors are true, it's also because he doesn't put in the effort. Depending on who our other options are, he's probably worth a waiver to give him a chance for a full summer in Wichita to really work on his game (since he wasn't able to get back to Wichita to rehab). EXPECTATION: I could see him transferring. Which might not be the worst thing for all parties involved.

Jenkins - I really don't know what to think of him. He played in 4 games this year for a grand total of 34 minutes. He appears to have a decent skill set but like Seymour needs to live in the weight room. If he wants to come back, You bring him back IMO. EXPECTATION: He's a prime transfer candidate IMO. Though if Gilbert is gone, he's setup for additional minutes next year depending on who we bring in.

Overall - There is a lot to like. Team obviously had a great year this year and I wouldn't' think the expectation is that we win the AAC again. Top 4 and an NCAA bid should be the base expectation though. Going to need to pick up a few key pieces to do that though. With the Transfer portal likely to be bigger than it's ever been .. we have a good chance. I'm guessing we have 3-4 scholarships to give (2 for the seniors whether they stay or not, and then 1-2 transfers). The 1 and 5 seem to be our biggest needs going forward. Then pick up best available at the 2 or the 4 IMO. If Dexter and Council are back, I'm liking our depth at the 3

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
    So figured since the season is officially over, I'd start the conversation about next year. With it being the weird COVID year, we have the opportunity to add 2 more people while returning everyone if we wanted. Obviously that wont happen and the seniors may or may not stay and we will likely have a transfer or two (hopefully not 6-7 like it has been)

Players:
    Seniors

Gilbert - We likely don't win some of the games we won without Gilbert but we also likely win a couple of the games we lost with a different PG. He is what he is and is what he was at UCONN. He is an extremely gifted PG that doesn't always make the best shot selection considering his ability to make those shots. He's at his best when creating for others. If he wants to come back, considering it's a free scholarship, you 1000% bring him back. His experience is invaluable. EXPECTATION: Goes Pro overseas.

Trey Wade - Better than many fans give him credit for. Not a great shot maker but makes key baskets when needed. Shot selection really improved throughout the year. He plays his position undersized which limits his potential. His toughness and hustle is key. Same as Gilbert, if he wants to come back, you bring him back. EXPECTATION: I could see him returning. I'm 100% ok with that.

Bush and Herrs - Thanks for the years and best of luck in whatever they do.

Juniors

Dexter - Started the year rough, but was our best overall player to end the year. That is what we need from him going forward. Keep up the defense, continue to improve on his ability to drive and finish. He's one of about 3 players that is absolutely critical that we return. EXPECTATION: He returns

Udeze - Really finished the year strong. He's undersized and struggles with true big men, but thankfully that's not as common in our league (though more common than the MVC). He needs a secondary big man to really switch up with him or potentially play along side him. We need him back. EXPECTATION: He returns

Porter - So much potential in some ways, other ways very disappointing. He's absolutely our best creator. The fact that he refused to shoot for most of the year really limited his ability to create. He finished the year 2-5 from 3 and 14-36 from the field in 246 minutes. We need him to be a threat to shoot even if he isn't a score first PG. You can't play that many minutes and only shoot 36 times. If he can work on the confidence on that part of his game it could really be a big upswing for us. His defense was ok i felt. Obviously was pretty good at blocking shots for a guard, but struggled to stay in front of some of the faster players. If he wants to come back, you bring him back. EXPECTATION: If Gilbert comes back, I could see him transferring. If Gilbert goes, I think he comes back.

Poor Bear - I always felt like he had the most upside of our bigs but something just isnt clicking. He seems to be a great kid that can step in and do admiral in not letting the big man spot fall apart when Udeze is out, but is a complete non factor in many ways. Udeze plays bigger than he is (and gets in trouble for it) while Poor Bear seems to play smaller than he is. It's tough but unless we very quickly land an impact big man with one of our two available ones, we likely need his scholarship to really find someone to play with Udeze. There should be plenty in the transfer portal. EXPECTATION: He's a transfer candidate to me. He could go the Midtgaard route and go to a smaller conference and really have a good year.

Trevin Wade - Quick but likely too undersized to make an impact. He's obviously got skill, but didn't get to show it this year. He might be the best PG defender, but struggles on the offensive end. Didn't get to see him enough vs GOOD competition to make a final judgment on him. He might be acceptable for PG depth depending on who else we land. EXPECTATION: Might depend on what Trey does. I think if Trey stays, he wants to stay. If Trey goes pro, I think he transfers.

Remy Roberts - Keeps on doing what he does for the team behind the scenes. EXPECTATION: Stays if Dexter stays. If not, I think he transfers down for playing time.

Sophomores

Etienne - Leader of the team. NBA potential if he can work on his game. Beginning of the year he showed off his ability to drive way more. End of the year it fell off. Obviously did not end the year on a high note. Shot selection really suffered when he was the 100% focal point of opposing teams. He really needs one other consistent threat on the offense so teams can't sell out on him. Obviously, this is an overly critical analysis of the Co-Player Of the Year. He's what makes this team tick and we 10000% need him back and focused and leading the team. Work on shot selection and how to get better shots and he could repeat as Player of the Year IMO. EXPECTATION: He tests the draft waters but returns.

Clarence Jackson - Extremely happy we get 3+ years of him (hopefully). He owns that junkyard dog aspect. He's Senior level Rashard Kelly. Unlimited motor, loves to get boards, has a decent ability to put the ball on the floor and a decent ability to shoot the 3. The game slowed down for him throughout the year and he started playing more under control. If he can just do slight incremental improvements in the key areas ( securing rebounds with 2 hands, improving driving, adding a few offensive moves to his game etc). He's an all conference caliber player IMO. He's one of the underclassmen that is CRITICAL that we keep IMO. EXPECTATION: His mom is all in on WSU and already said after the game she's looking forward to him playing here next year so I expect him back.

Freshman

Council IV - The face of the future of WSU. He had a rough couple games to end the year, but he's a freshman. Vast majority of freshman don't look like Baker and Van Vleet did in their Freshman postseasons. He showed throughout the year the offensive toolset to be a nightmare for opposing teams. What he needs to do? Spend the entire summer side by side with Dexter learning how to play defense at Dexter's level. Know Dexter's every thought, motion, muscle twitch. Do that and he's a POY caliber player by his Junior year. Goes without saying, we NEED him back. EXPECTATION: I sure hope he's back. I don't see any reasons from this year that he wouldn't be but stranger things have happened and he's going to have ALOT of people in his ear telling him where he should go. I just hope he listens to the ones that truly have his best interests at heart.

Seymour - Lots of potential IMO. He needs to spend the summer in the weight room and get 20-30 lbs of muscle on him. Can we move him into Kerry's house? Is that allowed? He showed some flashes here and there in extremely limited minutes but you can't teach his size and agility. If the work ethic is there (no inside information if it is or isnt), he could be a key cog going forward. EXPECTATION: He's another i really hope he's back and see no reason why he wouldn't be. He's also lined up to get expanded minutes going forward if he can work on his size a bit.

Bilau - Oh Bilau .. I really don't know what to think. He has the size of a big man and the agility of a 3 guard it seems. Yet, nothing seems to click. Partly because he doesn't get playing time but if the rumors are true, it's also because he doesn't put in the effort. Depending on who our other options are, he's probably worth a waiver to give him a chance for a full summer in Wichita to really work on his game (since he wasn't able to get back to Wichita to rehab). EXPECTATION: I could see him transferring. Which might not be the worst thing for all parties involved.

Jenkins - I really don't know what to think of him. He played in 4 games this year for a grand total of 34 minutes. He appears to have a decent skill set but like Seymour needs to live in the weight room. If he wants to come back, You bring him back IMO. EXPECTATION: He's a prime transfer candidate IMO. Though if Gilbert is gone, he's setup for additional minutes next year depending on who we bring in.

Overall - There is a lot to like. Team obviously had a great year this year and I wouldn't' think the expectation is that we win the AAC again. Top 4 and an NCAA bid should be the base expectation though. Going to need to pick up a few key pieces to do that though. With the Transfer portal likely to be bigger than it's ever been .. we have a good chance. I'm guessing we have 3-4 scholarships to give (2 for the seniors whether they stay or not, and then 1-2 transfers). The 1 and 5 seem to be our biggest needs going forward. Then pick up best available at the 2 or the 4 IMO. If Dexter and Council are back, I'm liking our depth at the 3
    Thanks. That was a good review.

Comment

Freshman

What's up with that? Why would a lot of people be in his ear telling him where he should go??? Did he go to Wichita specifically to play for Marshall? Does he not get along with Coach Brown? Does he not wanna learn how to play defense???

A game announcer earlier in the year said the same thing about "if we can keep him". Weird.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

First expected player to move on. Wish him the best

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post

What's up with that? Why would a lot of people be in his ear telling him where he should go??? Did he go to Wichita specifically to play for Marshall? Does he not get along with Coach Brown? Does he not wanna learn how to play defense???

A game announcer earlier in the year said the same thing about "if we can keep him". Weird.
          When i say people in his ear .. i'm not meaning anyone in our program. I'm just being realistic that he's a really good player and people are likely going to be trying to get in his ear to "go to a bigger program". I'm not saying i have any inside info that it's happening, just seems like the going trend with the huge transfer portals.

Like i said in my post, he's critical to us going forward.

Comment

Stickboy46 Gotcha. I hope that's not the case (people in his ear). With further development he could be the "man" here by his Junior year and go league fer sure. Hope he sees Tyson getting a lot of National pub and realizes he too could possibly get those same accolades simply by getting better. Easy-capese...
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Wish him nothing but the best. I hope he can find somewhere he can get a load of playing time and showcase his athleticism.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Wish him nothing but the best. I hope he can find somewhere he can get a load of playing time and showcase his athleticism.
                I think he will tear it up at an upper level mid major.

Comment

No big surprise. Wish him nothing but the best!

Comment

I think he will tear it up at an upper level mid major.
                    See daishon smith

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post

Such is the nature of college basketball.

Comment

Thoughtful constructive analysis on the part of Stickboy. Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by N Crestway View Post
                          Thoughtful constructive analysis on the part of Stickboy. Thanks...
                          He specializes in that.

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                              X