Wichita State vs. Drake First Four Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post

Looking at last night's box score I just don't see many "impact" players returning outside of TE, DD and MU. RC and CJ maybe but both
    need to understand and PLAY their roles better and IB needs to make sure players KNOW their roles. Not naming names but we
    seem to have some dead weight on the team. IB will have to sign 2-3 quality polished players for us to finish in the top 3 next season
    and make sure the pilot light stays lit all season for both him and his team.
    I don't think looking at 1 box score in order to decide will be an impact player for an entire year is fair to do. RC and CJ will 100% be impact players for us.

Comment

• We need a point guard who doesn't think it's all about him

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

The point is not to compare 3G and IB, there is obviously no comparison. The point is to show that one game a career does not make. Or one week, or one season. Any jumping off the bridge is completely premature and moronic - goes to show how entitled everyone has become. That is my point.

There are certainly things not to like about the way the season ended, especially how yesterday's game went. But there are a ton of things to be excited about - and to ignore them is just as stupid as it is to ignore the bad things.

We were -7.5 against VCU in 2012, btw.
        I wouldn’t call that big.

What are the things you’re excited about?
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
          We need a point guard who doesn't think it's all about him
          I don't know whether this is actually the case or not (or if you're even referring to the shot at the end), but I rewatched the final play and there didn't seem to be anyone AG could have passed the ball to. Two other Shocks were closely guarded, and TW and TE bumped into one another around mid-court and were unavailable to take a pass. Maybe AG could have taken it to the rack, but I'm not sure whether he could have gotten there with the time remaining.

Comment

• referring to the entire season

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker Rocker View Post

I don't know whether this is actually the case or not (or if you're even referring to the shot at the end), but I rewatched the final play and there didn't seem to be anyone AG could have passed the ball to. Two other Shocks were closely guarded, and TW and TE bumped into one another around mid-court and were unavailable to take a pass. Maybe AG could have taken it to the rack, but I'm not sure whether he could have gotten there with the time remaining.
              We had a timeout.

He shot the ball with 2 seconds remaining. He could have ended up with a shot at least 10 feet closer if we wouldn’t have rushed it, just like he did with Cincy.

AG has not proven to be both clutch or efficient with 3 point shooting. I would’ve taken nearly any other scenario than a freaking repeat of last Saturday.

And judging by the way he comes down the floor in normal situations, he was not gonna pass the ball. He was predetermined to play the hero again.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I didn’t have a problem with AG taking the shot. Regardless of who took it, it was gonna be a miracle finish the way we played. It might as well have been AG getting the glory and adding to his story. Tyson certainly didn’t deserve to take it. Dex was the hot hand but we all know he has the tendency to fumble the ball away under pressure. It is what it is. I just hope we can learn from this and spend the off season improving as a team, including coaching.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post
                  It's a feel good story, but if you are looking for the difference in an assistant coach vs a legit head coach, it was on full display from the 5 minute mark until the horn of the first half.
                  To stand there and watch Drake hang around (totally on their heels) and then make a run to pull within one was, in a minimum a minimum of words, gross.
                  The game should have been over in the first half when the defense was awesome, but the offense execution was Jr High level at best.
                  To stand their helpless and watch it unfold was beyond excusable.
                  Which unfortunately...was what happened. For all the world to see.

I know a whole bunch of you, including Patty, are happy to see the change in coaches.
                  But HCGM (or someone else...Las Cruces, NM) would not have just stood there tonight and watch it happen.
                  Which is exactly what did happen.

When you decide that Mo Udeze is your basic option on offense to win the game, you have a serious deficiency in your angle of attack.
                  No more telling me about how Billy is the brains on the bench. There weren't any serious upper level adjustments made all night in that game.
                  There was, however, a whole lot of helplessness on display for almost the entire game.

He is the coach and has a contract. But the decision was made far early and based too much on a 'feel good' emotion.

That is all.
                  I love Shockref.

That is all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    I didn’t have a problem with AG taking the shot. Regardless of who took it, it was gonna be a miracle finish the way we played. It might as well have been AG getting the glory and adding to his story. Tyson certainly didn’t deserve to take it. Dex was the hot hand but we all know he has the tendency to fumble the ball away under pressure. It is what it is. I just hope we can learn from this and spend the off season improving as a team, including coaching.
                    The problem with this team is lack of basketball IQ. They take stupid shots, force drives that aren't there, make dumb passes, and can't focus mentally to hit FTs (not really BB!Q, but I'm rolling). AG's shot was case-in-point of low BB!Q. He had enough time to get a leaner from the elbow, but he wanted to jack up a hero shot. This team STILL has no big man and no pure shooters. Starting to wonder if "good in the Valley" is the peak of what we will ever see with Wichita State.

Comment

• Why were no adjustments made at halftime? We should have done everything possible to get the POY in the game. Double screens, give and go, just something, anything rather than bring the ball up and see who you can pass too. I don't see any sense of having a offensive game plan or utilizing set plays. Just giving the ball to MU and see what happens is not a offense. I'm afraid this job may be too much for IB.

Comment

• Good post by shockref ! Wholeheartedly agree. Our pilot light went out from the HC and players. For me, seven
                        assists speaks volumes. Means players are mostly looking for their own shots and poor ball movement. These
                        are correctable things even during games with good coaching. Not much changed in post season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Pickle View Post

Should have never come down to a couple free throws. This team was undisciplined and unfocused the entire year and playing hard was one of the few reasons we won those close games earlier in the season. It bit us tonight for the 2nd game in a row.
                          But it did. So...
                          "Long wave the Yellow and the Black..."

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I wouldn’t call that big.

What are the things you’re excited about?
                            You said it was a toss up, lol. USC is -6 against Drake tomorrow, what is that is a pickem? I guess Drake should win!

I am excited to have Dex, TE and Mo back again. Those are all three good talents. Dex was starting to look like himself again, Mo was obviously improved. Having the player of the year in a conference playing for money is a good thing - especially with guys he has had a year or two with.

I am more than pumped to see what happens with RC4, I think he could be a monster. I think Monzy is probably significantly more a threat than TW next year, so I am excited for his second year here. I am also not nearly as down on

The entire ****ing core of this last year's team is back - after winning the conference and making the tournament - with all the **** storm the beginning of the season included.

If that doesn't at least kind of excite you - you have no real business pretending to act like you're giving anyone a fair shot. This last group didn't even get a chance to seed itself because of COVID, that won't be the case next year.

I am most excited to see this group get a chance while their feet are actually underneath them, unlike all of this year, which was nothing but a mad scramble.

Our play down the stretch was bad. Very poor. But I do not see anything that differentiated from other poor play I saw from this program in the past over the course of the last 10 years at home, when we also had success.

Comment

• Newsflash: FVV is not walking through the door any time soon. Unrealistic to think so. He was a generational player. Best option is AG comes back at PG. Then IB needs to go out and find a high school PG to groom. Not sure Porter is the answer. I hope he proves me wrong and develops over the off season.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                                Newsflash: FVV is not walking through the door any time soon. Unrealistic to think so. He was a generational player. Best option is AG comes back at PG. Then IB needs to go out and find a high school PG to groom. Not sure Porter is the answer. I hope he proves me wrong and develops over the off season.
                                I might be higher on Porter than others because I think his biggest issue is a mental issue not physical. He's shown the ability to shoot and finish but just appears scared to do so. He's obviously really good at creating. I think he COULD be a really good PG, its just going to require some confidence. That's at least on the offensive side of the floor.

Comment

Working...
                                X