No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs. Drake First Four Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Player of the Year in the AAC, just got schooled by some dude from Drake, who wasn’t even in their starting 5.

Comment

• [QUOTE=champions5;n1289322

The player movement was completely different. Like not even the same team different. Also, they regularly switched to drive and dish to get shots when a ball screen offense wasn’t working. So no. You’re wrong here. [/QUOTE]

champions5 not sure why I quoted you, I meant to quote myself.

I'm taking back my statement...I did some research:

12th - 2011-12
      51st - 2012-13
      14th - 2013-14
      29th - 2014-15
      88th - 2015-16
      14th - 2016-17
      7th - 2017-2018
      220th -2018-19
      179th -2019-20

After the NIT year WSU had 5 years finishing with top 50 offense (4 of which was top 15). 3 years finishing 88th or worse.

Comment

• On one hand IB has coached 23 games in his career. On the other hand IB has coached 23 games in his career.

Comment

• Originally posted by Singeril View Post

??? Do something crazy? Like riot in the streets? Stampede the Capitol? Go out without a mask?
          Lol get crazy drunk and do something stupid. Some people take losses way harder than others.

Comment

• Can't believe all of you give up on the coach and the team with everything they went through this year. They will be ok.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

They sure as hell didn't help, AGAIN! But much deeper than that.
              Keep that spotlight off his poor coaching. Wise.

Comment

• Damn, couldn't even have a positive Covid test when we needed one. I guess you could see this coming. Shocks really did not play well in the post season. A 1 point win over an imploding USF team, a 1 point loss to an imploding Cincinnati team and a 1 point loss to whatever Drake is at this point which I guess is a team that is 1 point better than the Shocks in an NCAA play-in game.

The Shocks sure didn't use the post-season to showcase their team to recruits and/or transfers.

Hated to see Tyson finish his season on such a downer but he will bounce back. Give Drake some credit for their defense on Tyson. I would assume that 6 shot attempts is a season low for Tyson. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing Tyson switch to the point. I think he could do it if he wanted to. Not sure he would want to.

I hope Alterique moves on. I think he has the tools for sure to be a good point guard. Not sure he has the mental acumen and approach needed however.

Trey Wade tries hard but is just a bit undersized (although not in this game) and under-skilled. But I think he gave the Shocks everything he had.

HCIB needs to really rethink his offensive philosophy in the offseason and explore some alternative approaches. Defensively this team was pretty decent considering they were undersized in the front court. Obviously, the rebounding needs to improve. I didn't think we would get outrebounded by Drake but it happened.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 18, 2021, 08:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post

Can you list the tactical errors?

my top four:

First, we went way too deep in the first half. Lost all momentum.

Second, we once again play soft on defense despite having fouls to give.

Third, we had Tyson in the game when we needed to foul despite him having four fouls.

Fourth, we let clock run with multiple 1 and 1’s remaining. That last play is much easier with 25 seconds on the clock rather than 5.

add to that we can’t get our best player a decent look... I will always think this group is hard to coach because of athletic mismatch issues, but those didn’t exist today.

as far as players go - Gilbert drives me nuts on defense. He takes plays off... today he took three in a row off which got the Drake Point Guard going. The flat footed, no-contest, defense is killing us.

Comment

• Guess we’ll find out tomorrow (per IB) who is staying, who is leaving. Can’t wait

Comment

• Originally posted by ArmyShockerFan View Post

champions5 not sure why I quoted you, I meant to quote myself.

I'm taking back my statement...I did some research:

12th - 2011-12
                      51st - 2012-13
                      14th - 2013-14
                      29th - 2014-15
                      88th - 2015-16
                      14th - 2016-17
                      7th - 2017-2018
                      220th -2018-19
                      179th -2019-20

After the NIT year WSU had 5 years finishing with top 50 offense (4 of which was top 15). 3 years finishing 88th or worse.
                      No problem. Appreciate the research. I’m not sure I can be more pissed. The offense the last few weeks was ridiculously bad. Maybe it’s on IB, maybe not. He ran a few nice sets after a timeout, but the lack of player movement has been glaring this season. I hope it gets fixed.

Comment

• Missing 11 FT. And we lost by 1. Man! it's hurt.
                        Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

Comment

• Box score for the Drake Bulldogs vs. Wichita State Shockers NCAAM game from March 18, 2021 on ESPN. Includes all points, rebounds and steals stats.

PGAG was 4-13 and a couple that he made were circus shots

Comment

• NEVER should have hired IB. Now we are stuck with him. Terrible coaching the last 3 games.
                            Ready for AG to move on and he can take TE with him. TE didn't attack the basket once NOT ONCE. So soft.
                            Keep MU and DD.
                            For me , at least, the season was a bust.
                            Done with basketball for awhile. Can't watch other coaches actually coach their teams.
                            Most important position to recruit is a quality PG who can defend - AG got abused.
                            A lousy 7 assists tonight. Again, poor coaching not getting your team to move the ball !

Comment

• Play Angry, or Stupid

Comment

• Originally posted by B1ShockFan View Post
                                Can't believe all of you give up on the coach and the team with everything they went through this year. They will be ok.
                                This will only get worse and it will happen again. Brown will never be a Top 20 Coach. Period

Comment

Working...
                                X