The NCAA and UCONN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NCAA and UCONN

I heard that UCONN has submitted a proposal to the NCAA that includes self imposed sanctions for failing to meet the APR, in exchange for NOT being excluded from the NCAA basketball tournament for 2013, as they are scheduled to in fact miss.

In May, Southern and Grambling’s men’s basketball programs were banned from postseason play because of poor academic performance. Both schools, along with the Jackson State and Southern football teams, fell below the NCAA’s APR.

Thoughts?

This is their argument: "By the letter of the law, we should be punished with this, but we're UCONN, so how about we do all of this, and you just ignore the actual rule."
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Agree...."We're the defending champs!!! We get benefits!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        I heard that UCONN has submitted a proposal to the NCAA that includes self imposed sanctions for failing to meet the APR, in exchange for NOT being excluded from the NCAA basketball tournament for 2013, as they are scheduled to in fact miss.

In May, Southern and Grambling’s men’s basketball programs were banned from postseason play because of poor academic performance. Both schools, along with the Jackson State and Southern football teams, fell below the NCAA’s APR.

Thoughts?
        Nothing from UConn surprises. Calhoun walks a fine line between winning and cheating. He has always stretched the rules like he thinks that program is above the rules. The sad thing is that they will probably get concessions, just like the NCAA has always done for the influential programs in football and basketball.

With the NCAA, rule enforcement is subjective. I'm sure there is a prevasive mentality that some programs are too important to enforce sanctions upon. It sucks and it's wrong, but it's their party.

Probably the saddest part of the whole thing is that schools couldn't take the initiative to do this without the cloud of sanctions hanging over their heads. It has always troubled me that the term "student-athlete" at many schools really just means "athlete."

--'85.
        Last edited by Shocker85; February 9, 2012, 03:56 PM.
        Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Graduate your student-athletes and you don't have to worry about it.

If they don't get punished, the NCAA is exposed for the fraud that they are.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            Graduate your student-athletes and you don't have to worry about it.

If they don't get punished, the NCAA is exposed for the fraud that they are.
            That exposure came a long, long time ago for the NCAA, and it clearly doesn't bother them.

Comment

Let me see if I understand this,
              UConn in the past have used their student athletes to make money for UConn
              without giving them a good education.

The NCAA changed the rules and they agreed to the rules.
              Other schools have been penalized for not meeting the new standards.

UConn doesn't think it should have to follow the rules.
              It alone should decide it's punishment for not following the rules.

UConn should not be allowed to play in the NCAA Tournament next year,
              and remember that in the past they didn't care about the student in student athlete as much as
              they cared about the NCAA money.

I guess if they can do this, then if WSU ever breaks a rule we should be allowed to choose our punishment.

Comment

Even though it Uconn, I don't think they will get an exception. That would open a can of worms for the future that I don't think they want opened. It would be a horrible precedent.

Comment

Originally posted by calfan View Post
                  Let me see if I understand this,
                  UConn in the past have used their student athletes to make money for UConn
                  without giving them a good education.

The NCAA changed the rules and they agreed to the rules.
                  Other schools have been penalized for not meeting the new standards.

UConn doesn't think it should have to follow the rules.
                  It alone should decide it's punishment for not following the rules.

UConn should not be allowed to play in the NCAA Tournament next year,
                  and remember that in the past they didn't care about the student in student athlete as much as
                  they cared about the NCAA money.

I guess if they can do this, then if WSU ever breaks a rule we should be allowed to choose our punishment.
                  When it comes to the NCAA,
                  nothing surprises me.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Thoughts?
                    Approved.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

If it were WSU, we would probably get a 3 year ban from TV and post-season play.

Comment

Trying to figure out how this somehow gives us retroactively a win in Maui and an at large berth.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                          Trying to figure out how this somehow gives us retroactively a win in Maui and an at large berth.
                          Where's that damn time machine when we need it?

Comment

I could be wrong since I'm relying on memory, but an additional headwind to them getting a waiver is that when the APR and punishment were introduced they were identified as one of the teams that wouldn't have made the tournament had the policy been in force (I think K-State was another one?).

i.e. - they had a chance to address it and didn't. Giving them a waiver sets two horrible precedents, not just one.

Comment

The NCAA denies the wavier request. UConn will appeal.

The NCAA has denied UConn's waiver request to compete in the 2013 post-season tournament. The school was informed of the news today. UConn will file an appeal to the NCAA Division I Committee on Acade...
                              In the fast lane

Comment

Working...
                              X