Disappointments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointments

I just wanted to start a thread to where everyone could vent about whatever they personally have been most disappointed with about the season so far. Gal is certainly not off limits, but at least the grumbling won't all be about him.

My biggest disappointment so far has been the play of PJ.

He has not even been close to an all-conference performer. I would say honarable mention, at best, to this point.

There have been several losses where he was a complete non-factor, either because of stupid fouls or poor play.

Although he played well, if he makes his layups, not to mention his free throws, we beat ISU last night.

I just expected more consistency from him, even with a less talented supporting cast.

Count me in the disappointed with PJ camp. CGM even expressed his chagrin with the missed layups in two games now. Along with the missed FT's PJ is playing his way out of Euroball.

It's hard to expect a lot from those who are not seniors. MB and PT are doing well enough. We desperately need the third leg of this stool to be strong. Weird part is, PJ is the most capable of the three.

Comment

Stale nachos

I say this because I had no expectations. With all the question marks on this team, I don't know how any clear thinking fan had any real expectations and thus any real disappointments.

Comment

I can understand the dissappointment in PJ though. Pre-season all Valley and he isn't playing like he was even an honorable mention sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood
          Stale nachos

I say this because I had no expectations. With all the question marks on this team, I don't know how any clear thinking fan had any real expectations and thus any real disappointments.
          Expecting pre-season all-conference seniors to perform at a high level is not a lack of "clear thinking." My personal expectations for the team were not high, but I expected PJ to help us win some games that we should lose, not contribute to losing games that we should win.

Comment

I was not sure what to expect from the team but I have to say I did expect a little more from PJ individually. Which feels somewhat weird to write because the kid fills up the stat sheet nearly every night. PJ did end up with 16 pts and 8 boards last night both team highs.

I suppose PJ is a good player not a great player. Am I disappointed so far? I guess I am to the extent that I do not think PJ improved all that much from his Jr. to Sr. year. Also, I sort of expected PJ to "carry" this team at times, especially early in the season, and I have not really seen that happen. The only conclusion I can draw is PJ is simply not willing to do so because I still think he is capable.

Comment

PJ is a very good player, but he is only 1 player. Opposing teams are going to find ways to take him out of the game, I.e., Drake game.

What has been lacking is the teammates that can divert attention away from PJ in order to give PJ room to work. Like I have mentioned before, we do not have enough 'creators' on the team. Sometimes, I get to the point, I have to shout 'Do something' when most of the team is fiddle farting around. Gal seems to be the only one (and Matt too sometimes) to create or drive enough to create a stir where other guys can get open for the dish.

Does the term, 'Do a little Dance' ring a bell???

Being a former big Wings fan, I once watched Eric Rasmussen dance with the ball for 1.5-2 solid minutes with 3 opponents on him, and they could not get the ball from him. It was simply amazing, his skill for ball control, at the end, he fired the ball towards the goal, but it hit the post. The whole crowd were on their feet cheering!

Comment

You PJ haters are wrong. He had 16 points, 8 boards, 3 dimes, 3 blks. What more can you ask of one player.

What I, personally, am disappointed at is our lack of confidence and bench players not contributing. WE NEED SWAGGER. People dont seem happy. Emotion can be such a useful tool. The players do not exert the same energy and emotion as HCGM does. It is sad when only one underclassman is helping, and it is JT Durley. Other players need to step up there game, or major changes need to be made next season.
                ________
                LIST OF TOYOTA PLATFORMS HISTORY
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

This one is easy. Mantas. 3-23 from three for the year. I expected him to score more. I actually expected him to be the second leading scorer on the team this year behind PJ. I thought he would be Kyle Wilson's replacement. All this was based on what I read about him and the fact that he was a First Team Juco All-American. I still don't understand how he got First Team Juco AA, because he has been playing no where near that level as a Shocker.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShockFan
                    This one is easy. Mantas. 3-23 from three for the year. I expected him to score more. I actually expected him to be the second leading scorer on the team this year behind PJ. I thought he would be Kyle Wilson's replacement. All this was based on what I read about him and the fact that he was a First Team Juco All-American. I still don't understand how he got First Team Juco AA, because he has been playing no where near that level as a Shocker.
                    that was perfect. looks like a lost pup out on the court.
                    ________
                    ZX14 VS HAYABUSA
                    http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

Originally posted by goshocks
                      You PJ haters are wrong. He had 16 points, 8 boards, 3 dimes, 3 blks. What more can you ask of one player.

What I, personally, am disappointed at is our lack of confidence and bench players not contributing. WE NEED SWAGGER. People dont seem happy. Emotion can be such a useful tool. The players do not exert the same energy and emotion as HCGM does. It is sad when only one underclassman is helping, and it is JT Durley. Other players need to step up there game, or major changes need to be made next season.
                      When I criticize PJ, it is not that I fail recognize the statistical contributions he makes during a game. In a sense, I am really nit picking. When the team struggles to score – I want to see PJ become very aggressive and quite frankly selfish when necessary. He is a senior and the teams best player - -he has earned the right to take over a game.

What disappoints me about PJ his year is difficult to put in words but I do not think it shows up on a stat sheet.

I could also be way off base because I don't get to watch the games.

Comment

I've been disappointed in most everyone with the exception of Matt, Phil and JT.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie

When I criticize PJ, it is not that I fail recognize the statistical contributions he makes during a game. In a sense, I am really nit picking. When the team struggles to score – I want to see PJ become very aggressive and quite frankly selfish when necessary. He is a senior and the teams best player - -he has earned the right to take over a game.

What disappoints me about PJ his year is difficult to put in words but I do not think it shows up on a stat sheet.

I could also be way off base because I don't get to watch the games.
                          I thought at some points in the game yesterday, he was the only one willing to take it to the basket, but I don't know how often he actually did it.

Comment

Exactly. And that's why he was the player of the game.

I don't get it. We can criticize PJ all we want, even when he's our POG, but dare we call out Gal on anything, a nuclear bomb is dropped.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                              Exactly. And that's why he was the player of the game.

I don't get it. We can criticize PJ all we want, even when he's our POG, but dare we call out Gal on anything, a nuclear bomb is dropped.
                              My issue does not have to do with PJ's performance in any one game and I fully recognize the fact that he does a lot of things well. It is about overall expectations. As I wrote, I only get to listen to the games and read a stat sheet. If PJ really has stepped up his game and is an improved player this year, it is hard for me to see. I guess it also comes down to the fact that PJ has always filled up a stat sheet so I expect that from him.

I have not really commented on Mekel but I am generally disappointed in him too. I had hoped he would be able to handle the point a little better and that has not been the case. However, I think he did a pretty good job, overall, last night. I do think Mekel is improving.

Comment

Working...
                              X