Wichita State vs. Houston Game Thread 2-18-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I saw that too watching the replay of the game but what they showed on the game broadcast was not nearly as clear as the video clip you posted. Houston's approach seems to try to incorporate Rugby into the game. Rugball or Basketby if you will.
    I think they are coached to find the boundaries which is different with each officiating team. My thought last night was it looked more like a MVC game, no blood no foul.

Comment

• Originally posted by atlwsu View Post

I think they are coached to find the boundaries which is different with each officiating team. My thought last night was it looked more like a MVC game, no blood no foul.
      They certainly do test the boundaries.

Comment

• First Place! Congrats Shocks! Enjoy it today and get back to work! In the words of James Brown.....It Feels GOOOOOD!!!!

Comment

• Last night we heard that our backup point guards were out due to illness and injury. Does anyone know the status of Trevin Wade and Craig Porter? Go Shocks.

Comment

• Impressive results with basically only playing 7.

WSU continues to get to the FT line.

WSU had a win on both the Offensive and Defensive Boards

WSU shared the ball.

Udeze "The Rim Defender" with 5 blocks

I'm hoping this gives the Shox confidence and their game only grows from here.

Comment

• This was the best overall performance from a Shocker team in years IMHO. I was worried coming into a Ted Valentine, John Higgins officiated game that I would come away furious with calls more than anything, but luckily the inconsistency there wasn't the major factor in the game and no one ended up seriously injured. I always feel that those two get caught up in the games swings and blow their whistle at differing levels of contact throughout the game, which leads to chippy play.

I'd rather call out the play of our players, but suffice it to say everyone played well. Dexter Dennis is the man of the hour, and his icing steal may be defining play of his Wichita State career; we should also remember that he bookended the start of this game with his shooting. Multiple times throughout the game I praised Udeze, Jackson, and Wade for their effort and technique on the defensive end, doing a great job moving their feet and getting position to rebound and contest cleanly. Against Houston's aggressive (some would say handsy) defense, I thought we really needed multiple ball-handlers and IHCIB (maybe drop the I) did a good job adjusting to that with Ricky, keeping the pressure off Gilbert and Ty and alleviating the dead time at the top of key where we were trying to rotate the ball through posts and turning the ball over.

Comment

• So damn proud to be a Shocker.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                  This was the best overall performance from a Shocker team in years IMHO. I was worried coming into a Ted Valentine, John Higgins officiated game that I would come away furious with calls more than anything, but luckily the inconsistency there wasn't the major factor in the game and no one ended up seriously injured. I always feel that those two get caught up in the games swings and blow their whistle at differing levels of contact throughout the game, which leads to chippy play.

I'd rather call out the play of our players, but suffice it to say everyone played well. Dexter Dennis is the man of the hour, and his icing steal may be defining play of his Wichita State career; we should also remember that he bookended the start of this game with his shooting. Multiple times throughout the game I praised Udeze, Jackson, and Wade for their effort and technique on the defensive end, doing a great job moving their feet and getting position to rebound and contest cleanly. Against Houston's aggressive (some would say handsy) defense, I thought we really needed multiple ball-handlers and IHCIB (maybe drop the I) did a good job adjusting to that with Ricky, keeping the pressure off Gilbert and Ty and alleviating the dead time at the top of key where we were trying to rotate the ball through posts and turning the ball over.
                  Jackson had his best Defensive effort of the year by far IMO. So many times he completely walled up Houston's big men and forced them to take a bad shot or kick it out. Great job of moving his feet and keeping his hands up. You can tell over the last few games things are starting to slow down a little bit for him. Still plenty of room to grow but happy to have him for hopefully 3 more years.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                    This was the best overall performance from a Shocker team in years IMHO. I was worried coming into a Ted Valentine, John Higgins officiated game that I would come away furious with calls more than anything, but luckily the inconsistency there wasn't the major factor in the game and no one ended up seriously injured. I always feel that those two get caught up in the games swings and blow their whistle at differing levels of contact throughout the game, which leads to chippy play.

That first three that Dexter made, his feet were on Wu’s elbow — the logo at center court. Way out there!

Comment

• "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
                        SO AWESOME!
                        Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Watched the game this afternoon. We gave as good as we got. Very physical game. Lots of fouls on both teams that weren’t called. We pursued the rock!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
                            So good I am pumped and about to take my 8 year old out in the cul de sac and dunk on him!

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

I saw the same thing and I don't know how three of the best officials in the game could have missed that.
                              Even the best of the best miss calls. I mean heck, if we don't expect players to make every single shot, then we can't expect officials to get every call or on-call right.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfanmas View Post

Even the best of the best miss calls. I mean heck, if we don't expect players to make every single shot, then we can't expect officials to get every call or on-call right.
                                I've concluded that officials do the best they can with the pace of the game. Some are flat out bad, but they are still the best available or they wouldn't be on the court. They're going to miss some and they're going to get some. Both players and fans would probably do best to just accept the game as it's called. Coaches are the ones who should be concerned about complaining about officiating.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X