Wichita State vs. Houston Game Thread 2-18-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
    First of all, Houston is a darn good defensive team which had us really struggling for good shots early in the game.
    Fortunately, we didn't cave down ten and responded with some very strong defense of our own. Kudos especially to
    DD and MU but the whole team raised it's level of play defensively and on the boards. AG was especially good
    running the team the last ten minutes and I was surprised the ball was not almost exclusively in his hands the
    last two minutes but it wasn't. We were able to hang on thanks to that really sloppy pass they made at the end that
    Dex grabbed. That was the most intense team defense we have played in a long time which makes a person
    wonder why they can't do it all the time. We have to do it because we are not a great team offensively most nights.
    Good win. We matched Houston defensively last night and attacked the rim better resulting in FT's.
    Very good assessment....was my first game inside the Chuck this year, so a few thoughts...nothing overly new...:
    * EARLY I feared the rebounding bugaboo...and make no mistake...with this group, they are going to HAVE TO want to rebound...
    * there NEVER appeared to me to be a look or sense of panic, even down 20-9...
    * MO shot one time...ONE TIME....and played his best game....I also liked Poor Bears contribs....
    * Trey is an enigma...ill advised three once when the lead had dwindled...but huge dunk and great effort....
    * Gilbert, you see in flashes of what MIGHT have made him incredibly special if healthy...wonderful at getting to rim....
    * feel like Shox still hold the ball too long , end up with rushed looks at the end
    * IF there had been a full crowd , it might have been a top 5 EVER noise night......

Did anybody notice the one ref wanted to put 1.6 or so back on the clock because Tyson started his celebration with time on the clock?

Great night...kids played very well...COACHES coached well...

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      Did a UH player take a bite out of someone last year or has my memory faded even more?
      Yes. Jarreau.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
        Ok ok ok maybe I was a bit touchy with the refs but there were some BS non calls particularly in the first half. But I will take my lumps on this one. My bad. It wasn’t as dramatic as I made it originally. Think I just had a **** stressful work day.

No, you were correct in my opinion I like it when they lay off the whistle but way too often it was one sided layoffs. There were so many over the back un-calls and arm hacking un-calls early. But as the Shocks picked up the intensity, I thought the calls were still a bit one sided but much better.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          Did a UH player take a bite out of someone last year or has my memory faded even more?
          Who does he think he is, Mike Tyson?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Not quite the exact same play:
            1. In the game at Houston Dex made that play in the 1st half and finsihed with a dunk.
            2. Tonight the game was absolutely on the line and Dex finsihed by getting mugged (i actually was relieved he was not seriously injured on that play).
            Shouldn't questioning Taylor be grounds for a lifetime ban? :)

Comment

• I was trying to figure out whether Gorham is suspended for all or part of the next game. Looks like no, because it wasn’t a “fight.”

Comment

• He got his punishment by getting tossed and essentially ending the game...no suspension needed.

Comment

• Somebody at halftime (IHCIB, or Tyson, or Lou) told them "we're gettin pushed around. They're not callin anything. Get after it !"

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                    Besides the whole first place thing ... There were other potential storylines.

HCIB vs coach sampson for front runner of AAC COY. Edge HCIB
                    Tyson Etienne vs Grimes for AAC POY ... Slight edge Etienne

Ricky Council vs Tramon Mark for AAC FOY... Big edge Council.
                    Head-to-head, Council probably does have the edge on Mark, but I don't think he'll catch Caleb Murphy of USF for FOY.

On the other two, I agree.

Comment

• This one rebound pissed me off so much watching the game. This will be recorded as an Offensive rebound and a put back for Houston. In reality, it was 3 fouls by one Houston player uncalled and a put back.

Gresham body checks Etienne in the back to knock him in the floor. Then falls and takes out both Udeze and Councils legs. All 3 of our players were in position for that rebound.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AgedImpecc...fly-mobile.mp4

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

Head-to-head, Council probably does have the edge on Mark, but I don't think he'll catch Caleb Murphy of USF for FOY.

On the other two, I agree.
                        I actually forgot about Murphy because USF has been so bad. Though if you compare stats, he's not as far ahead as you would think.

Murphy 9 pts, 2.4 boards, 3 assists, 2.7 TO in 24 minutes a game. 37%/15%/65% splits

Council 7.7 pts, 4.3 boards, 1 assist, 1 TO in only 17 min a game. 43%/43%/56% splits

Council has been more efficient but USF has had to use Murphy more due to lack of other options.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

Shouldn't questioning Taylor be grounds for a lifetime ban? :)
                          No doubt.

Comment

I actually forgot about Murphy because USF has been so bad. Though if you compare stats, he's not as far ahead as you would think.

Murphy 9 pts, 2.4 boards, 3 assists, 2.7 TO in 24 minutes a game. 37%/15%/65% splits

Council 7.7 pts, 4.3 boards, 1 assist, 1 TO in only 17 min a game. 43%/43%/56% splits

Council has been more efficient but USF has had to use Murphy more due to lack of other options.
                            Stat-wise it is very close. I just think that with Murphy being a starting PG is going to give him the edge. But that's ok. We know what he have with RC4.

Comment

This one rebound pissed me off so much watching the game. This will be recorded as an Offensive rebound and a put back for Houston. In reality, it was 3 fouls by one Houston player uncalled and a put back.

Gresham body checks Etienne in the back to knock him in the floor. Then falls and takes out both Udeze and Councils legs. All 3 of our players were in position for that rebound.

I saw the same thing and I don't know how three of the best officials in the game could have missed that.

Comment

This one rebound pissed me off so much watching the game. This will be recorded as an Offensive rebound and a put back for Houston. In reality, it was 3 fouls by one Houston player uncalled and a put back.

I saw that too watching the replay of the game but what they showed on the game broadcast was not nearly as clear as the video clip you posted. Houston's approach seems to try to incorporate Rugby into the game. Rugball or Basketby if you will.

Comment

Working...
                                X