Wichita State vs. Houston Game Thread 2-18-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Did a UH player take a bite out of someone last year or has my memory faded even more?
    Jarreau bit a Cincinnati player on the leg if I remember right
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post

I laughed at Dem describing Alterique — “he’s almost a midget.”
      That was hilarious lol. Coach Brown and Tyson’s interviews were awesome too.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
        Dan Is you alive?
        woohoo! Drinking old fashioned and had a great time watching this game. My Coog friend and I both agreed that the ga,e would be decided one way or the other by half - who is setting the tone. Man were we wrong. What a freakin game!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
          Not quite the exact same play:
          1. In the game at Houston Dex made that play in the 1st half and finsihed with a dunk.
          2. Tonight the game was absolutely on the line and Dex finsihed by getting mugged (i actually was relieved he was not seriously injured on that play).

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Jarreau bit a Cincinnati player on the leg if I remember right
            To be fair, you’re not yourself when you’re hungry.

Comment

• Anyone else wish ESPN would stop with the split screen stuff already? It’s very annoying when they take up over half the screen with things that aren’t the action on the court.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

To be fair, you’re not yourself when you’re hungry.
                Maybe he needed a Snickers.

Honestly though Jarreau seems like kind of a punk.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                  Anyone else wish ESPN would stop with the split screen stuff already? It’s very annoying when they take up over half the screen with things that aren’t the action on the court.
                  And the stupid behind the goal shot for FTs. You can't even see the shot or where it hits on the rim..

Comment

• The was a tough give no quarter, take no prisoners game. IHCIB giving his guys tomorrow off. I agree with that decision for sure.

His next challenge will be to make sure his guys don't have let down after the supreme effort they made tonight. It will be very interesting to see if this performance against Houston will have any carryover value in closing out the season. That might be tougher than getting the guys up for Houston. 54 years ago after beating #2 Louisville 84-78 the Shocker had 2 more home games. The edged North Texas 74-73 and lost to Tulsa 57-70. But that Shocker team which finsihed 14-12 knew they were not going to play in the post-season. This Shocker team has a lot to play for yet and they should have a chip on their shoulders as they continue to get little respect by the bracketologists and the metric boys.

Mo wasn't a key factor in contributing scoring in this game but this may have been his best game as a Shocker in terms of attitude, toughness and effort. I hope that continues to show up.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 19, 2021, 12:06 AM.

Comment

• Five games in a row that Dennis, Gilbert and Wade as a trio have shot 40% or better from the field with an effective field goal percentage of 50+%. Tonight 11 for 25 with 6 3-pointers for 44% from the field and 56% effective field goal percent. Up until the last 5 games, that trio had shot 30% from the field with a 40% effective field goal percentage. Free throw advantage 18 to 5 is another continuing trend.

Game ideas for Sunday. Neither Colorado State or Loyola are playing. I don’t know if Loyola can add games. They have played 22 with 3 left on their schedule. Either would be like a good bracket buster game. Teams could agree to play again next year.

I sent Ken Pomeroy a tweet about luck and having opponents bank in 3’s 4 games in a row.

Comment

• I have to give Gilbert credit for the box outs from 8:30-8:00 in the first half. The guy had 8 inches on him so just went over the top and grabbed the ball, but the effort was there.

Comment

• Had a meeting tonight so just finished watching the game. Shocks reminded me of the teams from a few years ago. Tough and gritty.

AG gives us that pg playmaker we haven't had for a few years.

Tyson is a winner.

Dex is playing so much better the last 4 games.

Mo played as tough as I've ever seen him.

HCIB had a confidence about him at the press conference I hadn't seen before. Good to see.
                          I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Can’t sleep. Just saw the foul on Dex. Gorham is a piece of trash and deserves to sit for a couple of games. Can’t believe that Dex didn’t get seriously hurt on that play. Glad our guys kept their composure. Could of gotten very ugly. What a cheap ass thing to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                              Houston is an elite rebounding team. I have not seen a team as tough as them. But were learning. One step at a time. Got to play defense when shots are not falling and got to rebound the ball.

Comment

• First of all, Houston is a darn good defensive team which had us really struggling for good shots early in the game.
                                Fortunately, we didn't cave down ten and responded with some very strong defense of our own. Kudos especially to
                                DD and MU but the whole team raised it's level of play defensively and on the boards. AG was especially good
                                running the team the last ten minutes and I was surprised the ball was not almost exclusively in his hands the
                                last two minutes but it wasn't. We were able to hang on thanks to that really sloppy pass they made at the end that
                                Dex grabbed. That was the most intense team defense we have played in a long time which makes a person
                                wonder why they can't do it all the time. We have to do it because we are not a great team offensively most nights.
                                Good win. We matched Houston defensively last night and attacked the rim better resulting in FT's.

Comment

Working...
                                X