RIP, Lew Hill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ABC View Post
    A great Lew Hill memory I have is at the game at K-Sate in the 85-86 season, Gene's last. WSU was struggling, but clearly had some good pieces including Lew. It was at the old Ahearn Field House, which was a fun place to watch a game. It was not awesome, as it was basically a high-school gym witch a capacity of 12,000 or something.

Anyway, I was on one of the end zones when WSU was on offense. Lew takes a pass and drive the baseline and throws down a big dunk. It definitely silenced the crowd. That was also toward the end of Jack Hartman's career. He recruited a 28 year old Army veteran (nothing wrong with that), Norm Coleman, which allowed them to limp through the Big 8.
    Norris. He was good.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Did that team in 85-86 even have a senior on the roster? That team had at least 4 freshmen (Sasha, Praylow twins, Grayer), Lew in his 1st coming from JUCO, Santos, H. Carr, and Cundiff were Jrs, and a couple of So. getting most all the play. They still managed a reasonable season in spite of all the new players.
      Ted Williams. 6'10" Philly player of the year.

Wasn't he on the roster in '86?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Ted Williams. 6'10" Philly player of the year.

Wasn't he on the roster in '86?
        Looked it up. He was on 85-86 and 86-87 teams. Smithson played him about 9 mpg. Played only 2 games for Folger. Another big man was 7' John Askew. Other "big men" on 85-86 were 6'10" Tom Kosich, 6'9" Curtis Bailey, to go along with Sasha and H. Carr, both 6'9". That's 6 players between 6'9" and 7' and that group wouldn't include 6'7" Gus Santos and 6'8" Steve Grayer.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Looked it up. He was on 85-86 and 86-87 teams. Smithson played him about 9 mpg. Played only 2 games for Folger. Another big man was 7' John Askew. Other "big men" on 85-86 were 6'10" Tom Kosich, 6'9" Curtis Bailey, to go along with Sasha and H. Carr, both 6'9". That's 6 players between 6'9" and 7' and that group wouldn't include 6'7" Gus Santos and 6'8" Steve Grayer.
          Basically the bulk of players that fogler won the Valley (post-season) with.

I remember the Juco kid Askew (originally signed with Purdue out of high school?). Bailey was a highly regarded recruit out of the Southern region (Alabama). Between those 2 and Williams one could say that Gene whiffed, but it wasn't for lack of trying. He did alright signing the other bigs'.

Gene had a couple of years of decent recruiting right up to the end. He also signed a good PG in Griffin to team up with the front court recruits.
          Last edited by ShockingButTrue; February 12, 2021, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Best article I've seen so far about Lew HIll's end. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ach-lew-hill-/.
            Dominance is a state of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ROOT ANGRY! View Post
              Best article I've seen so far about Lew HIll's end. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ach-lew-hill-/.
              THANK YOU so much for that article! Excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by ROOT ANGRY! View Post
                I am unable to access that article. Can you give a synopsis of the bottom line. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I am unable to access that article. Can you give a synopsis of the bottom line. Thanks.
                  Check your messages.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I’m interested too.

Comment

Basically he had another health issue and he had already decided to step-away from the team and told his AD. He goes to bed late after a long bus trip. His wife goes to wake him up at 8:30 a.m. and he's gone. Unbelievably sad.

He had chronic fatigue and it was finally diagnosed as a rare bone marrow disorder called amyloid light-chain (AL) amyloidosis, which causes organs and tissues to thicken and eventually lose function.

He had COVID earlier in the year. There didn't seem to be any conclusions that COVID was a factor.

Lots of positive comments from Kruger, and John Cooper and his AD.

Comment

It appears as if his wife, Renee, has handled this situation extremely well with great poise and a great spiritual strength. Sounds like Lew was a great guy and had a great wife and family and sounds like they totally loved him at Texas Rio Grande Valley, A very sad story indeed. Hard to read that article without shedding a tear but also being very impressed with Lew and his wife.

Comment

Go UTRGV - UTRGV Athletics and Krugers Set to Dedicate Lew Hill Memorial Plaza as Part of Renovations to UTRGV Fieldhouse

RIO GRANDE VALLEY – The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) Department of Intercollegiate Athletics announced on Wednesday a six-figure gift by former Hall of Fame men's basketball head coach Lon Kruger and his wife, Barbara, both of whom are inductees into the Athletics Hall of Honor, to dedicate the Lew Hill Memorial Plaza as part of the upcoming renovations to the UTRGV Fieldhouse.

Construction on the outside of the fieldhouse, including the plaza, is expected to start in the spring of 2023 with completion in early 2025. This plaza is part of $30 million in facilities enhancements that were announced on April 6.

The announcement of the Lew Hill Memorial Plaza was made on August 10 to coincide with what would have been the 16th wedding anniversary for Lew and Renee Hill.

"I am super excited for this announcement," said Renee Hill, the widow of Lew Hill. "I am both thankful and grateful to the amazing people who made this a reality for Lewis and our family along with all those who will have the pleasure to pass through UTRGV. This university and community have been family since we arrived. The Lew Hill Memorial Plaza is a testament to prayer and the sayings that 'kindness wins,' 'a full heart feeds multitudes,' and 'basketball can take you many places.' I know Lewis would be appreciative of all the efforts put into making this thought a reality. My continued prayer is that people passing through feel his presence, love, hard work, and dedication to people, basketball, and the endless opportunities after the ball stops dribbling. This piece of history, on this day, fills me with heavier emotions, tears, and smiles as I think about his smile and love for UTRGV and how it's still felt here. He will forever be missed, never forgotten, always loved, and appreciated deeply."

Lon Kruger was the coach at legacy institution Pan American University from 1982-86. Hill worked as an assistant coach with Kruger at UNLV from 2004-11 and Oklahoma from 2011-16. Kruger was instrumental in helping to connect Hill with UTRGV, as Hill took over as head coach shortly after Oklahoma's 2016 Final Four run. Hill coached UTRGV from 2016 until his tragic passing on Feb. 7, 2021 at the age of 55.

"I'm so happy and pleased for Renee and the family that Lew's being recognized for the terrific person and coach that he was," Kruger said. "I certainly appreciate UTRGV taking the steps to make this happen in memory of Lew."
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

That's Awesome. I always like Lew Hill and the Krugers are first class. Go Shocks.

Comment

Working...
                            X