Rebounding Huge Weakness-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Yeah, but he must have heard me posting that the offense could play a little better too... They've been working on it in practice.

Now all we need is someone to start a thread titled Why Haven't the Shocks Signed Another Xavier McDaniel?
    Monzie has the moxie to be X, just not quite the skills.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Probably the best rebounder in Shocker history was Terry Benton. And a recent player who had some of the rebounding moxie of X may have been Rashard Kelly. Limited in a lot of ways, but he was a very good rebounder in this modern age for being only 6'7.

Comment

Ok. But how does one acquire the skills? And yes X was a monster on the glass, but what were those skills he possessed? And right now Monzie is a better long range shooter than X, but I have yet to see any shocker player post up midrange and shoot like X.

Now that I think about it,, I take that back about the midrange shot.. Cle could flat out shoot midrange and could post up too.. Lol I am getting to old to m remember all of the players.
        Last edited by TheShocktocles; March 5, 2021, 09:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Ok. But how does one acquire the skills? And yes X was a monster on the glass, but what were those skills he possessed? And right now Monzie is a better long range shooter than X, but I have yet to see any shocker player post up midrange and shoot like X.

Now that I think about it,, I take that back about the midrange shot.. Cle could flat out shoot midrange and could post up too.. Lol I am getting to old to m remember all of the players.
          Aaron Ellis was straight cash from 15
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
            Out to 19' 8" (when the 3pt line was 19' 9").

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

Out to 19' 8" (when the 3pt line was 19' 9").
              Aaron “Deep 2” Ellis.

Never could add that last inch to his range, but he was like Kevin Durant on that deep elbow 2.
              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                Yikes forgot about Aaron Ellis. The shocks could not have won the NIT Championship without him lighting it up from midrange. He was money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

The point is that we "suck" at rebounding, and there's no reason we are as bad as we are. Let's not blame it on anyone. The players are who they are right? Why hold them accountable? The coaches are doing the best they can, right? Why hold them accountable.
                  Percentage of Rebounds
                  We are #244
                  https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-ba...ing-percentage
                  At the time of the post above (February 1, 2021), the Shox had a Total Rebounding Percentage Rate Ranking (which is percentage of missed shots during our games by both teams) of #244 out of 350 Div. 1 NCAA Teams.

By the end of the year, on April 5, our rebounding (percentage ranking) had sunk down to #257. Last year, we ranked #42 out of 350 teams. I hope that our team next year with McFarlane improve back into the Top 50 once again. Again, this is talking about the rebounding percentage rate (which would be the percentage of missed shots during our games), and not total rebounds.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-ba...ing-percentage
                  Last edited by Shockm; April 5, 2021, 08:53 AM.

Comment

I think the Dennis Rodman comparisons are more accurate. Rodman had very marginal basketball skills, but he would pursue the ball harder than anyone.

Comment

• It seems probable that we will be an improved rebounding this Season? No?
                      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                        It seems probable that we will be an improved rebounding this Season? No?
                        I would think so because the players believe (that is very important) it could be a special season, if they play the right way, as HCIB likes to say...

Better known among today's youth as "ballin' out."

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                          It seems probable that we will be an improved rebounding this Season? No?
                          God help us if we aren’t better, seeing as we were like 257th last season.

78-65

Comment

• I think that having a complete summer, and no early on COVID split, will help tremendously. Last season we weren't really built to be a dominant rebounding team. Combine that with the aforementioned troubles, and Shox had struggles with it.
                            But HCIB adressed both the vertical challenges and the bulk challenges this off season. Hopefully, commitment to winning the rebounding war every single game is a page he kept from GGG's "how to win games" book. If Pohto, McFarland, Pleasant can provide more minutes of a strong desire to rebound than Bilau and Seymour ever did, I don't see how we can't improve. If Mo and Monzie can improve, knowing that they have options waiting on the bench, it is quite possible that the Shox jump back into the top 40 +/- where we should be every year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocknroll33 View Post
                              I think that having a complete summer, and no early on COVID split, will help tremendously. Last season we weren't really built to be a dominant rebounding team. Combine that with the aforementioned troubles, and Shox had struggles with it.
                              But HCIB adressed both the vertical challenges and the bulk challenges this off season. Hopefully, commitment to winning the rebounding war every single game is a page he kept from GGG's "how to win games" book. If Pohto, McFarland, Pleasant can provide more minutes of a strong desire to rebound than Bilau and Seymour ever did, I don't see how we can't improve. If Mo and Monzie can improve, knowing that they have options waiting on the bench, it is quite possible that the Shox jump back into the top 40 +/- where we should be every year.
                              I think the shox will be better at rebounding for the simple reason that they were bad at it last year and as elite players and coaches they will want to be better.

For a player by player analysis, though, you left out an important thing. We lost our leading rebounder to the transfer portal in trey wade. I do expect positions 3-5 to be better overall at rebounding due to maturing of young players and increased depth on the bench.

Comment

• In theory, if guys who rebounded at a high rate per minute like Jackson and Council get more minutes we should see improvement.

IMO, Gilbert and Wade were two of the biggest “didn’t bother to turn around and find a guy to check out” offenders. No one on the team was completely immune but I noticed it the most from those two, and probably Monzie too.

Monzie got better about it as the season went on. Hopefully it’s a point of emphasis this off-season not just for him but the entire team.

On paper, Pleasant grabbed about as many boards per game as Wade. God bless him if he doesn’t just stare at the ball as a shot goes up and his defender runs by him for a vicious put back dunk.

Comment

Working...
                                X