No announcement yet.

Ricky Council IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think there is a reason that Council wasn't heavily recruited by high-level programs. That reason had nothing to do with his highlights video.

I think it had more to do with what we've seen from him. His college "career" seems to indicate that no college program was good enough for him. That will limit recruiting from schools looking for dedicated players.

There has to be a reason why a player with his talent was lightly recruited. He was certainly not a "diamond in the rough".. I doubt he would have been here for a second year even if he had been starting ahead of Pleasant. I think other coaches saw that probability and didn't recruit him hard because they viewed him as a one-year development player who would trfr at his first opportunity.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      I think there is a reason that Council wasn't heavily recruited by high-level programs. That reason had nothing to do with his highlights video.

I think it had more to do with what we've seen from him. His college "career" seems to indicate that no college program was good enough for him. That will limit recruiting from schools looking for dedicated players.

There has to be a reason why a player with his talent was lightly recruited. He was certainly not a "diamond in the rough".. I doubt he would have been here for a second year even if he had been starting ahead of Pleasant. I think other coaches saw that probability and didn't recruit him hard because they viewed him as a one-year development player who would trfr at his first opportunity.
      But he was here for 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

But he was here for 2 years.

Now that's a theory killer.
        Last edited by Atxshoxfan; April 5, 2023, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Or, the coach that he came to play for was gone and the coach that was handed the job misused him and had no real structure for the team so he chose to go somewhere he could get that.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Risky decision for the kid, but not surprising, frankly.

There are plenty of RCV's in the NBA who can handle the ball better and shoot it better (on one team). Think Cle...

Comment

Yes, better athlete than basketball player, although he is a very good college player, or could be.

Comment

I believe Covid helped us secure Ricky… a lot of AAU games were cancelled and Ricky flew under the radar.

My long-term memory is solid. My short term memory is sketchy. My short term memory is sketchy.
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I'm not buying that. Schools take chances on players with exponentially more personal problems than that.

Comment

Ricky was underutilized by GHCIB, but I think his playing style helped create the offense we all despised.

This year’s team proved that FHCIB either had the chops to coach offense or was at least learning how to coach offense.

Alternatively - After watching Arkansas in the tournament - I had flashbacks to that god awful “one v one” offense I had buried deep-down in my memory bank.

As a result, I believe Ricky, TE, MU were more to blame than FHCIB for the static offense….

With that out of the way - I have no theories as to why he landed at WSU or why he actually left, but I wish him good luck in the NBA.

Comment

Gregg Marshall, and other coaches have a ton of great players who were lightly recruited, or not recruited. Ron Baker and Austi Reeves as two easy examples.

For both of those players, I recall thinking immediately they were very good D1 players. Others like Paul Miller or Stutz, might take a bit of time to fully develop.

Comment

I saw some of the same things in Ricky this year that bothered me when he was here, like trying to do too much on his own resulting in turnovers, or going for the highlight-reel dunk instead of making sure of the basket. No doubt he could be exciting to watch, but just as often he was frustrating. Maybe that stuff will translate to the next level, but I don't watch the NBA so...
                        "Long wave the Yellow and the Black..."

Comment

What specifically did Ricky do to make you say no college program was good enough for him or that he wasn't dedicated while he was here? That seems like nonsense to me. I think the reason he moved on was for the NIL deal as WSU was light years behind the ball due to Boatwrong. And the fact that HCIB seemingly didn't know how to utilize him properly or develop him. More on Boatwrong and IB than Ricky.

Comment

Originally posted by proshox View Post
                            Ricky was underutilized by GHCIB, but I think his playing style helped create the offense we all despised.

This year’s team proved that FHCIB either had the chops to coach offense or was at least learning how to coach offense.

Alternatively - After watching Arkansas in the tournament - I had flashbacks to that god awful “one v one” offense I had buried deep-down in my memory bank.

As a result, I believe Ricky, TE, MU were more to blame than FHCIB for the static offense….

With that out of the way - I have no theories as to why he landed at WSU or why he actually left, but I wish him good luck in the NBA.
                            Blame IB. For one he let TE do whatever he wanted. Then of course RC was playing behind JP. I have a hard time laying it on the players when you have a coach who wasn't ready for the job who instilled no discipline or accountability.

Comment

Originally posted by proshox View Post

A coach who allows players to dictate the offense or defense is no coach at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

A coach who allows players to dictate the offense or defense is no coach at all.
                                You know .... "Let dawgs be dawgs"

Comment

Working...
                                X