Wichita State vs. #11 Houston Pregame Discussion 1-6-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pogo View Post
    This game is a toss up if the officials don't let Houston to get overly physical against the Shocks. A question for our in house ref ShockRef, what happened to the new/old rules about hand checking and bumping the ball handler off his path. Shocks will be in an uphill battle if the officials allow the game to be played very physical. Not that WSU can't play physical as well but they are young and not schooled in the nuance's of that kind of basketball yet ie play physical just don't get caught. Go Shocks.
    You can’t let how the officials call the game decide the outcome. No good team will ever go into a game thinking “I hope the refs call everything”. Houston is going to be physical regardless of officiating, and that’s what good teams do. They play really freaking hard all the time. And if you’re Wichita state you have to play more physically in response. Not dirty, just tougher.

Against teams like Houston you need to have really heady ball handlers, guys that are strong with the ball and don’t make bad decisions. You can’t allow yourself to get sped up and you have to control the tempo.

Comment

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post

Why not let him call the game virtually from home?
      Maybe we should set up a Shockernet podcast so he can do just that through this site? :)

It wouldn't be official, but it sure would be cool.
      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Maybe we should set up a Shockernet podcast so he can do just that through this site? :)

It wouldn't be official, but it sure would be cool.

Comment

Quotables: Isaac Brown Pre-Houston

Wichita State men's basketball interim head coach Isaac Brown spoke to media ahead of the Shockers' matchup with Houston set for Wednesday night. He spoke about the leadership in the locker room, what makes Houston so good and what it will take to beat Houston.

Pretty lengthy Q&A. Coach Brown does a decent job with this.

My favorite response:

… getting one defensive rebound from the center position:
          "That's an amazing stat. I noticed that after the game. I was so locked into the game and just making sure the guys were executing the right things, but after the game I saw it and I went to Morris, I went to Poor Bear. I went to Josaphat and I said, 'This just won't get it done.' There's no way we can play our game when our bigs only get one rebound. That's just not good enough. And in order for us to go down to Houston, I've already told those guys, between our bigs, we need 10 to 12 rebounds in that game and we haven't done that this year, but we just keep trying to emphasize that in practice. We're working on check outs 24/7. We're working on techniques. If you miss a check out practice, you're being held accountable. Now we can put you on the sideline and run you a little bit. We've just got to keep getting better at that. But I think our bigs have to get better at rebounding. We're not rebounding at a high level like we need to. I think those guys can rebound at a high level. We've just got to start taking it from practice into the game."
          Houston is a really tough team to try to reverse this trend.

Comment

Opening line +11.5, thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post
              Seems a little high, but maybe not totally out of whack.

Comment

If we limit turnovers, box out every possession and shoot a decent percentage we can win. Doing two of those three against Houston is a lot to ask. Boxing out every possession is 100% within our control.

Even if we manage to get close to that goal they will still grab their share of offensive rebounds and will probably beat us on the boards. We know they are that good.

The zone worked really well against USF. If Houston has a weakness it’s their outside shooting. Maybe we’ll see a lot of the zone but that could lead to even more offensive rebounds.

There’s a lot of season to go so a win or loss tonight won’t make or break the conference race but obviously a win would put us on the inside track to a top 3 finish, national ranking and potential NCAA bid.

Comment

Trey and Dexter are key today. If Trey can hit 35+% from three and Dexter can stay out of foul trouble and hit his open looks it will be huge.

I think Ricky has the physical tools necessary to get to the rim and possibly get Houston in some foul trouble.

Alterique, Mo, and Poor Bear need to stay under 3 turnovers a piece.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                    Trey and Dexter are key today. If Trey can hit 35+% from three and Dexter can stay out of foul trouble and hit his open looks it will be huge.

I think Ricky has the physical tools necessary to get to the rim and possibly get Houston in some foul trouble.

Alterique, Mo, and Poor Bear need to stay under 3 turnovers a piece.
                    I really hope Trey only shoots 3s if it's off a pass and he's wide open. I cringe watching him dribble and take step back 3s.

Comment

I really hope Trey only shoots 3s if it's off a pass and he's wide open. I cringe watching him dribble and take step back 3s.
                      The last time he dribbled and took a step back 3, he was called for traveling, so he only needs to take the open 3's.

Comment

I don't know. That seems about right. The o/u seems low at 135.5 though. I fully expect Houston to put up 75 to 80. I think we get at least 65. But Vegas be smart and stuff.

Comment

100%

The less offense he tries to create himself the better. I do think opposing teams will live with him getting open looks in an attempt to lock down other guys like Tyson, Gilbert, and Dexter. He just needs to make them pay when he’s open.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

The last time he dribbled and took a step back 3, he was called for traveling, so he only needs to take the open 3's.
                            I didn’t think that was actually a travel. Especially considering an Ole Miss player did the exact same thing later in the game with no whistle.

Comment

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post

Why not let him call the game virtually from home?
                              Because there would be times he can't see the game when ESPN+ pauses or craps out.

Comment

Maybe it helps to think positive thoughts all day long?? I mean, at least the colors are similar....

Comment

Working...
                                X