No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs. #11 Houston Pregame Discussion 1-6-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not going over all the little stats I usually would look at in prep for a game. Looked at a few. Houston is like WSU in that it does not have a lot of size. I mean, if you lined up our players back to back with Houston players, they would be pretty similar. WHen the balls is in play, however, the Houston players "play bigger" than their size. And I would say that Houston plays more physical than the Shocks. I am in NO WAY meaning the Shocks would do well to try and match their physicality. Being on Houston's home court, those calls will not go WSU's way. Period. End of story - end of ballgame. I would say that Houston is also quicker on the perimeter and in help defense. So they get hands in the passing lanes and they get hands on interior shots from dribble penetration - leading to blocks and easy transition offense. In summary: they get after it on both ends of the floor. There's not a lot NOT to like about the way the Cougars play.

Being younger and still a little inexperienced, I think the Shocks play better when they are sped up a little. I'm hoping we can find a way to speed up our game on offense and score in transition, and at the same time, slow Houston down on their end in a half court game, and prevent them from scoring in transition as much as possible. The way I see it is this: Houston is good at "chaos" basketball. If the Shocks were used to "play angry", I would say Houston does well when they can create chaos. The only way I can see a WSU victory is to keep the slashers from crashing the offensive board, get a few easy buckets on our end to boost confidence, and keep those turnovers down. That's a tall order, something we don't have a lot of practice at yet.

Comment

Best way too stop their bigs is get them in foul trouble and have them on the bench. Be aggressive but controlled. Wsu has more heart and determination this year then the last 2 we have a shot to win this. I just want our guys to be competitive

Comment

I’ll tell you what that video did for me.... there was legitimate talent( likable or not) on that team...

Comment

It also kinda sucks this game is on ESPN+. Not to be an old guy complainer but it seems like the quality of the broadcast is a step below normal ESPN channels. And it would be much more beneficial for us if it were nationally televised (unless we get our ass kicked)

Comment

I sure hope MU and our big men don't throw the ball away for fastbreak layups when they are double team in the post. MU was absolutely terrible against Mississippi. Houston will turn all those dumb cross court passes into dunks. Yikes

I also hope MU doesn't put too much pressure on himself and play horrible because he is playing in his hometown. We have seen this movie before with Zach Brown in Houston and MM in New York. Just play within yourself. Go Shocks.
            Last edited by TheShocktocles; January 5, 2021, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWillShockU View Post

Not a surprise but he is spot on with his analysis of our team. I think we give them a battle and it comes down to rebounding. We can’t win if they get multiple shots off of offensive rebounds. I like our chances. I really really like our team. I just wish Jo B could have gotten more playing time against Ole Miss. I am predicting a 3 point win.

We also play a zone 50 percent of the game.
              Kevin Sampson has a very accurate assessment of our team. But it also means he has game planned to stop us. Hope we have done something to stop them too. Go Shocks.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                  https://youtu.be/rXEgnMuMjBw

Video of Kelvin Sampson's Media time prior to this game. Talks about WSU early on in the video and how he sees WSU is different this year vs last year.
                  This really worth watching. Sampson gives the Shox some serious props. He thinks our team more resembles his squad than any other team in the league.
                  Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

This really worth watching. Sampson gives the Shox some serious props. He thinks our team more resembles his squad than any other team in the league.
                    I think they resemble us.

Comment

This game is a toss up if the officials don't let Houston to get overly physical against the Shocks. A question for our in house ref ShockRef, what happened to the new/old rules about hand checking and bumping the ball handler off his path. Shocks will be in an uphill battle if the officials allow the game to be played very physical. Not that WSU can't play physical as well but they are young and not schooled in the nuance's of that kind of basketball yet ie play physical just don't get caught. Go Shocks.

Comment

The streak of 1,319 comes to an end.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                          This game is a toss up if the officials don't let Houston to get overly physical against the Shocks. A question for our in house ref ShockRef, what happened to the new/old rules about hand checking and bumping the ball handler off his path. Shocks will be in an uphill battle if the officials allow the game to be played very physical. Not that WSU can't play physical as well but they are young and not schooled in the nuance's of that kind of basketball yet ie play physical just don't get caught. Go Shocks.
                          I agree. If they "let em play" our chances are reduced

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                            The streak of 1,319 comes to an end.

Well that freakin' sucks!!
                            Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Well that freakin' sucks!!
                              Why not let him call the game virtually from home?

Comment

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post

Why not let him call the game virtually from home?
                                Agreed. I’ve been trying to find out an answer to this since I heard the news. ESPN broadcasters often call the games remotely. Is it a “copyright” issue? Rebroadcasting another media outlet’s product? Hope somehow this can be reconsidered.

Comment

Working...
                                X