No announcement yet.

OSU Game thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We were down three. We had to shoot a three. Everybody defended the line, and every defender was taller and longer than our guys.

Comment

• Not quite sure why C-Jack only played 14 minutes. I don't think it was foul trouble. He played 9 minutes in the 1st half and picked up 1 foul. He only played 5 minutes in the 2nd half. He did pick up two quick fouls at the 7:55 and 7:12 to play marks in the 2nd half but they didn't sub him out until the 6:11 mark and he did not return.

Granted he was not successfully hitting the boards against OSU like he had been but other than Trey, Ricky and Jo niether was anyone else. He only had 1 rebound but he did have a block and a steal and no turnovers while making 1 of 2 shots.. Maybe his defense was subpar. I would have to watch the replay to have any opinion on that. Or maybe the Coaching staff just forgot about him like IHCIB said they did with Poor Bear in the ORU game. You would of thought his effort in ORU and Mizzou games where he played 18 and 21 minutes would have earned him a bit more of time on the court. I could see it if Trey Wade was killing it but he really isn't especially on offense.

After 3 games here is the statistical comparison between Trey and C-Jack:

FG: Trey 7-24 (29.2%); C-Jack 10-17 (58.8%)
      3FG: Trey 1-12 (8.3%); C-Jack 1-3 (33.3%)
      FT: Trey 3-3 (100%); C-Jack 4-6 (66.7%)
      Pts Per 40 Minutes: Trey 8.3; C-Jack 18.9
      Rebounds: Trey 5O + 8D = 13; C-Jack 6O + 10D = 16
      Rebounds Per 40 Minutes: Trey 6.0; C-Jack 12.1
      Turnovers: Trey 1; C-Jack 4
      Assists: Trey 2; C-Jack 1
      Blocks: Trey 3; C-Jack 2
      Steals: Trey 0; C-Jack 2

Admittedly stats don't tell the whole story and it is only 3 games. Also their is something to say for experience so I am not necessarily promoting the idea that C-Jack should be starting or getting more minutes than Trey. However, about the only place Trey has a stat advantage of C-Jack after 3 games is in turnovers. It is very possible that C-Jack has some defensive deficiencies vs Trey that the stats don't reveal and that the coaches are seeing. Also I don't see these guys in practice. Maybe Trey plays better than C-Jack in practice.

Now if these statistical trends continue 10 games into the season and there are not glaring deficiencies in C-Jack's defense vs Trey's defense then I may have to question who should be getting more minutes at the 4.

Really hoping that Trey starts playing better because his experience should be valuable.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 13, 2020, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• Our team rebounds were not good the first half but we competed on the boards better (pretty even) the second half.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Not quite sure why C-Jack only played 14 minutes. I don't think it was foul trouble. He played 9 minutes in the 1st half and picked up 1 foul. He only played 5 minutes in the 2nd half. He did pick up two quick fouls at the 7:55 and 7:12 to play marks in the 2nd half but they didn't sub him out until the 6:11 mark and he did not return.

Granted he was not successfully hitting the boards against OSU like he had been but other than Trey, Ricky and Jo niether was anyone else. He only had 1 rebound but he did have a block and a steal and no turnovers while making 1 of 2 shots.. Maybe his defense was subpar. I would have to watch the replay to have any opinion on that. Or maybe the Coaching staff just forgot about him like IHCIB said they did with Poor Bear in the ORU game. You would of thought his effort in ORU and Mizzou games where he played 18 and 21 minutes would have earned him a bit more of time on the court. I could see it if Trey Wade was killing it but he really isn't especially on offense.

After 3 games here is the statistical comparison between Trey and C-Jack:

FG: Trey 7-24 (29.2%); C-Jack 10-17 (58.8%)
          3FG: Trey 1-12 (8.3%); C-Jack 1-3 (33.3%)
          FT: Trey 3-3 (100%); C-Jack 4-6 (66.7%)
          Pts Per 40 Minutes: Trey 8.3; C-Jack 18.9
          Rebounds: Trey 5O + 8D = 13; C-Jack 6O + 10D = 16
          Rebounds Per 40 Minutes: Trey 6.0; C-Jack 12.1
          Turnovers: Trey 1; C-Jack 4
          Assists: Trey 2; C-Jack 1
          Blocks: Trey 3; C-Jack 2
          Steals: Trey 0; C-Jack 2

Admittedly stats don't tell the whole story and it is only 3 games. Also their is something to say for experience so I am not necessarily promoting the idea that C-Jack should be starting or getting more minutes than Trey. However, about the only place Trey has a stat advantage of C-Jack after 3 games is in turnovers. It is very possible that C-Jack has some defensive deficiencies vs Trey that the stats don't reveal and that the coaches are seeing. Also I don't see these guys in practice. Maybe Trey plays better than C-Jack in practice.

Now if these statistical trends continue 10 games into the season and there are not glaring deficiencies in C-Jack's defense vs Trey's defense then I may have to question who should be getting more minutes at the 4.

Really hoping that Trey starts playing better because his experience should be valuable.
          I thought Jackson’s defense was pretty poor yesterday. He lost his man more than a few times. I like everything else he does on the floor but he’s looked lost, especially on defense, more than anyone else so far IMO. He has all the desire and tools to be positive on that end he just needs more time.

While I haven’t been that impressed with Trey Wades defense either he has been better than Jackson in that one and only aspect. Everything else I would prefer Jackson over Wade so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post

First off your statement led off with a reference to taking a three on the last shot. You changed direction in the next sentence. So how is anyone to know which you were alluding to. How is Argh's last comment close to Cohenism which is another term just invented. I would like to know (and perhaps others as well) what a Cohenism is so as to not make the same mistake and risk your wrath. As far as some things getting old you do have a tendency yourself to grasp onto something and drive it into the ground. Most of them either isolate or denigrate those you have a problem with or just a good old fashioned vendetta. Your latest is "dawgs are gonna dawg". Just wondering if this is in reference to Rashard Kelly's tweet about IHC IB and his feelings that he would let them have more freedom in offensive sets. As always Go Shocks and have a great day
            I did not separate every point with a paragraph. I see now how it could have been confusing but I guess I was hopeful that humanity would trust that I know that when down 3 points at the end of a game, 2 points wouldn’t suffice.

Aargh implied that by letting players do whatever they wanted and by being “nice” to them, that at least they aren’t gonna transfer. The nice guy, let a player do whatever they want even though it is a losing proposition strategy was a Cohen staple. Sorry if that wasn’t obvious to some.

Yes, of course that’s what it’s a reference to. And that’s where the team comes off looking undisciplined. I think other more respected posters than me have said the same as such. Streetball and no coaching might work in the NBA and with a bunch of 5 stars. It ain’t gonna work here. It appears there’s no fear at all for any player to do whatever they want without any repercussions. That is a strategy that won’t work. I’m not sure if you’ve been paying attention to the offense lately or not.

Go Shocks and have a fantastic day.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I thought Jackson’s defense was pretty poor yesterday. He lost his man more than a few times. I like everything else he does on the floor but he’s looked lost, especially on defense, more than anyone else so far IMO. He has all the desire and tools to be positive on that end he just needs more time.

While I haven’t been that impressed with Trey Wades defense either he has been better than Jackson in that one and only aspect. Everything else I would prefer Jackson over Wade so far.
              I have a feeling that playing time for Coach IB is controlled by how you are playing defense. If you are not playing good defense, then you will probably see less playing time. Go Shocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

I have a feeling that playing time for Coach IB is controlled by how you are playing defense. If you are not playing good defense, then you will probably see less playing time. Go Shocks.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

And that would be consistent with what the Shocks pretty much have always done under Gregg Marshall. Obviously, Isaac Brown has a temperament and demeanor quite different but Coach Brown no doubt absorbed a lot of good lessons from his 6 years under Coach Marshall.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 13, 2020, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Disagree. This hot noncon start will be their high water mark. They'll flounder in conference. Wasn't all that impressed with them as a team other than some raw lotto talent. Was much more impressed with Mizzou
                    Agree that OSU is suspect...probably mid tier at best in the Big 12.

Comment

• Not sure how many have access to the Eagle but Taylor Eldridge wrote a really good article detailing the game plan on Cade Cunningham that the Shox put on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                        Not sure how many have access to the Eagle but Taylor Eldridge wrote a really good article detailing the game plan on Cade Cunningham that the Shox put on.
                        Paywall. Not giving a red cent to that paper.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• My thoughts:
                          • Really miss coach Marshall's set plays. Shox have no idea what to do with under 10 seconds on the shot clock and an inbounds. Happened at least twice Saturday.
                          • DD did a great job on Cade. Cade is a good player but not seeing transcendent #1 overall pick there. He got frustrated easily. In the end though, he made the dagger.
                          • DD should not have been the one to take that last shot. No way, no how. He has been ice cold and until he shows he can make that, the ball should have gone to someone else, most likely TE.
                          • Jo Bilau has HUGE upside in my opinion. Dude made a difference right away on offense and defense.
                          • I like our group of new guys, especially the Freshman.
                          • There are no moral victories. Losing pisses me off. Shox should have won that game and had it right there for the taking.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                            My thoughts:
                            • Really miss coach Marshall's set plays. Shox have no idea what to do with under 10 seconds on the shot clock and an inbounds. Happened at least twice Saturday.
                            • DD did a great job on Cade. Cade is a good player but not seeing transcendent #1 overall pick there. He got frustrated easily. In the end though, he made the dagger.
                            • DD should not have been the one to take that last shot. No way, no how. He has been ice cold and until he shows he can make that, the ball should have gone to someone else, most likely TE.
                            • Jo Bilau has HUGE upside in my opinion. Dude made a difference right away on offense and defense.
                            • I like our group of new guys, especially the Freshman.
                            • There are no moral victories. Losing pisses me off. Shox should have won that game and had it right there for the taking.
                            Judging the reactions of the OSU players, they were pretty thrilled with getting out of here with the W.

Comment

• If that game was played under normal circumstances (8 or 9 games into the season, at a packed IBA, full roster w/ practice time) it’s probably a win.

As others have said, Porter and Bilau are going to be big pieces once they are a full go. Hell, if we they could have each played 10 minutes that game we might have won.

Ricky Council is going to help us this year on both ends.

I don’t think Poor Bear is ever going to be ready for prime time. Big Mit, aside from just being an easy guy to root for, would certainly be contributing more if he had stayed than Poor Bear.

I’m going to rewatch this game and focus on defensive rebounding. Are we struggling because we’re too small or because we aren’t checking out every possession? At this point I believe it’s the latter.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Paywall. Not giving a red cent to that paper.
                                it is something like 5 bucks for 3 months of Taylor only access (well sports only). While I agree, not really wanting to support the Wichita Eagle overall ... I think subscribing to a Sports only subscription sends a message that Taylor is well worth whatever they are paying him.

Comment

Working...
                                X