Matt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wxkid23
    I agree that this is a situation that you really need to look at your future.

It's up to Matt though in the end.
    Most of it is. Coach doesn't have to play him if he feels he is in jeopardy or the doctors don't want him to.

Comment

WuDrWu, you nailed it..., well said! I was having basically the same discussion with my son, and told him that if I were MBs dad my 2 cents would be to call it a career. Kind of like in "We are Marshall" when the asst. coach tells the injured player that he has done enough. MB has already earned the respect of all.

Comment

May the good Lord bless and keep Matt safe and guide him to the correct decision. First and foremost, Matt is a class act off the court which even makes his game on the court even all the more impressive. Matt has blessed us all with fond Shocker memories we will always treasure. He has earned our respect through how coachable he is, he is a team player first and foremost, and he gives it 110%. He never backs down and exemplifies a true warrior in a fierce battle when he is playing the game he loves. He will make a very fine Coach because he understands this game as displayed on the court.

No. 22 will always be a Shocker that we will be extremely proud of both now and in the future. We will never forget his herorics versus Creighton here our Sweet 16 Year. How did he keep draining those unbelievable 3 point plays at crunch time, and even the 4 point play. Wow!!! More importantly, we will remember Matt as a fine upstanding young Man that has represented our Program with every ounce of his being with dignity. We are with you Matt, no matter what!!!!!!! We love you man!!!!!!!
        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
          Originally posted by Maggie
          Originally posted by Rosewood
          How about: Do what the doctors tell you to do.
          It is that simple.

I don't want to get into a pissing match about this, but no it is not.

Matt will score 100% on his test whether it's today, tomorrow, next week or next month. The point is that the NEXT concussion IS going to be more problematic.

We all know that he is going to listen to his family and the doctors. I simply don't want to see this outstanding young man needlessly risk his future at this point. The odds are stacking up against him with each injury. I'm simply saying that the risks far outweigh the benefits at this point.
          I would hope that the doctors would advise MB of everything you stated in very blunt terms. I would also hope that the doctors would not clear him to play if they think the long-term risk is too high no matter what he scores on his test. Because likelihood of MB getting a 4th or 5th concussion is fairly high at this point.

My point was without knowing the specifics of MB's condition; I have to trust that the doctors are going to do the right thing for MB's long-term health.

Comment

While I agree that Matt should probably hang 'em up, we need to remember that it is also ultimately his decsion. I hope the doctors advise him of the risks, rather than tell him what to do. And I hope everyone involved tries to talk some sense into him. But if he listens to all of that and still says "I'm playing", we all should respect that decision, even if we don't agree with it.

But Matt, please, please, please don't do anything foolish.

Comment

Question: Can the doctors keep MB from playing in this situation even if he is otherwise healthy?

Because my gut feeling is that MB will decide to play when the symptoms subside regardless of the risk. I admit I am conflicted on whether or not MB should be able to ultimately make this decision. If I were in his shoes, I would want that right. However, when I was MB's age I know I probably would choose to play regardless of the long term risks.

I for one will not pass judgment on MB regardless of what decision is made; he will have my support either way.

Comment

In spite of all the confidentiallity rules (HIPPA?) about disclosing medical information I think that the coaches and trainers are also advised. Matt can say he is playing but someone else looking at all the data could tell him that he isn't.

Comment

Its like in the Mighty Ducks movie where Charlie realizes that he can do more for the team as a coach.

All kidding aside, I dont see MB hanging it up unless multiple people on the medical staff tie him to a chair 15 min before the game starts. I want to see him on the floor, but he is an asset on the bench as well.
                  That rug really tied the room together.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                    While I agree that Matt should probably hang 'em up, we need to remember that it is also ultimately his decsion. I hope the doctors advise him of the risks, rather than tell him what to do. And I hope everyone involved tries to talk some sense into him. But if he listens to all of that and still says "I'm playing", we all should respect that decision, even if we don't agree with it.

I actually disagree. He is a competitor and the type of guy that would put himself on the line for his teammates. Those are admirable traits, but when you are his size they can get you hurt. He would have to be told that he can't play anymore, because given the option to weigh the risks on his own, he will play. When I was his age, I would have played despite the risks, as would most competitive people his age.

My position might be different if playing was going to be his livelihood, but it isn't. He is not good enough to play professionally. I might even have a different opinion if this was going to be his only chance to play in the dance or something like that, but he has already played in a sweet 16 and this is a bad team. He wants to coach, and finishing this year will not help him with that.

He needs to take the difficult step of moving on to the next stage of his life a couple of months earlier than he wants to, whether he does that willingly or not.

Comment

Originally posted by McShocker

I actually disagree. He is a competitor and the type of guy that would put himself on the line for his teammates. Those are admirable traits, but when you are his size they can get you hurt. He would have to be told that he can't play anymore, because given the option to weigh the risks on his own, he will play. When I was his age, I would have played despite the risks, as would most competitive people his age.

My position might be different if playing was going to be his livelihood, but it isn't. He is not good enough to play professionally. I might even have a different opinion if this was going to be his only chance to play in the dance or something like that, but he has already played in a sweet 16 and this is a bad team. He wants to coach, and finishing this year will not help him with that.

He needs to take the difficult step of moving on to the next stage of his life a couple of months earlier than he wants to, whether he does that willingly or not.
                      It is Marshall's program and if he were to say that he won't play Matt, I would respect that. But if he is going to leave it up to Matt (which it sounds like he is, pending the "test score"), and Matt makes his own choice in the matter (he's an adult and it's his life, not your's, mine, the doctor's, his parent's, or anyone else's) we should respect that. You don't have to agree (heck, I wouldn't agree), but again, it's Matt's decision.

Comment

Originally posted by McShocker

It is Marshall's program and if he were to say that he won't play Matt, I would respect that. But if he is going to leave it up to Matt (which it sounds like he is, pending the "test score"), and Matt makes his own choice in the matter (he's an adult and it's his life, not your's, mine, the doctor's, his parent's, or anyone else's) we should respect that. You don't have to agree (heck, I wouldn't agree), but again, it's Matt's decision.
                        I understand your point, but sometimes 22 year old adults need older, wiser adults to take decisions out of their hands. It wasn't that long ago that I was 10 foot tall and bulletproof, like most other young, male adults.

Comment

Oh Internet, how you like speculation.

Does anyone here know how bad these concussions really have been? There are very different levels of concussions. The concussion I got as a kid that knocked me out cold was a lot worse than one I received in high school where I didn't even pass out.

Also, just because the word "concussion" has been tossed out there doesn't mean it is a concussion. This goes back to what I was saying in terms of different degrees. Sometimes it is just easier to say "yea, concussion." I've seen it happen it sports (after the first Superbowl win for Elway, they said he got a concussion from his late game hit. A couple years ago when the concussion discussion came up, he said in an interview that it actually wasn't technically a concussion.)

My point is that it seems silly to be asking Matt to hang it up (well, especially when he will never ever read this but that is a different thing all together).

Just relax. Matt will get good information, there is way too much of a liability not to. All things will be considered. So don't worry if whatever happens is different then what you want because I'm sure the people involved will really know what is going on.

Comment

Wasn't he knocked out cold last year? Any concussion after that can make things worse, no matter how severe it was.

Comment

McShocker – Now that I am older and wiser, I tend to agree with you but I will also understand if MB insists on playing. As you said MB is an adult. Marshall could sit him and let him stew on the bench – but I doubt that happens. The only person(s) that could possibly keep MB off the court (other than himself) is/are the doctor(s).

Does anyone know if the doctors can refuse to medically clear MB based upon the risk of future head trauma? Because when it comes down to it that is the issue. Eventually, the symptoms will get better and MB will pass whatever test they give him.

P.S. Rosewood is correct: We don't know how severe MB's various head injuries were (and never will know unless he calls it quits) so if it is decided that he will play – we cannot second guess that decision. He is also correct about the liability implications for the university.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
                                Wasn't he knocked out cold last year? Any concussion after that can make things worse, no matter how severe it was.
                                I seem to recall that he was knocked out last year, which is why I think people are expressing such concern for the kid's wellbeing.

Comment

Working...
                                X