Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts after first game in the Post-Marshall Era?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

He also found CJ for the wide open 3 late in the game.
    I couldn’t remember who got him the ball. That was a clutch shot. AG has definitely improved the pg position.

Comment

The audio replay of Mike Kennedy's broadcast is up on goShockers.com now if anyone wants to listen to IHCIB's post-game interview as well as Tyson's Etienne post-game intereview.

IHCIB's interview starts at the 3:17:45 mark

Video: WSU MBB vs Oral Roberts. Men's Basketball vs Oral Roberts on 12/2/2020

I listened to the post-game interview again because I wanted to confirm something I thought I heard last night.

IHCIB did in fact state that Trevin Wade has only been back about 2 weeks after having been out around 24 days. Makes Trevin's performance even more impressive.

I thought IHCIB's first post-game interview was very good and he made some very good points.

Comment

When there are only 8 guys suited up, there are going to be defensive breakdowns because everybody is playing to avoid fouling.

When there are only 8 guys suited up, two of them have never played a minute of D1 ball, and a third player has never played a game with the 5 guys experienced in the system, you need to expect some ugly things are going to happen.

No comments on Brown calling timeouts when ORU was going on runs?

Trevin Wade has some quick on quick feet and knows how to use them to stay in front of his guy.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Tyson Etienne began his 2nd half offensive explosion at around the 10:44 mark after the Shocks had fallen behind by 9 at 52-61. At the 4:54 mark the Shocks lead by 78-73 after 2 Tyson free throws.

During that 6 minute and 10 second stretch the Shocks scored 26 points with Tyson accounting for 17 of the those points hitting 5-8 FG's (including 3-5 treys) and 4-4 FT's. The other 9 points were provided by the Wade brothers. Trey had 3 points on an And 1 and Trev had 6 points on 3-3 FT's and a trey. So combined the T-Boys were 7-10 on FG's (with 4-6 treys) and 8-8 FT's.

I think that counts as on
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 3, 2020, 11:03 AM.

Comment

I found a couple things to be positive about (outside the win); we finished the game after they came back to tie/take the lead late. That's a positive. Guys seemed more willing (?) to be aggressive on offense; seemed not to fear the hook. Perhaps that was due to a thin bench...

All were learning their positions/roles, INCLUDING our new iHC. But, in general, not a specific criticism, an assistant coach takes his first HC job with a program like ORU or a two directional school, not a program like WSU. I don't know if Jans could've done much better last night, but I am still hopeful that whomever takes the reins next year has all the tools necessary to develop the team.

Comment

When Udeze (a lesser extent Poor Bear) realizes he can get ten points a game without forcing a few shots - things on offense will look much smoother.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

How many players did WSU play with last year generally? I bet Marshall only played 7-8 for large majority of minutes.
                Still, last night we had two players leave the floor with cramps, only about 5 minutes apart. I was surprised to see MoRude check-in instead of PoBear, though.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I was disappointed with the number of cutouts in the stands. I thought there'd be more but maybe there's a cardboard shortage in Wichita.
                  Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
                    I was disappointed with the number of cutouts in the stands. I thought there'd be more but maybe there's a cardboard shortage in Wichita.
                    Aren't they charging like $500 a pop for those things? Kind of a steep price in this day and age right now, especially when it involves not even seeing a game.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I found something to be positive about. We won!

​​​​​​.....and..... Despite being down half the team; missing a HoF level coach RIGHT before the season; pandemic; recent death of University President; recent firing of University President; first game of season; first game of D1 for some players; first game ever for HCIB; playing against ORU who already worked out kinks in their system; players playing ISO ball and out of position, for a Frankenstein monster of defense and offense (nobody's fault); short short bench; no crowd support; poor practices leading up to the game (4 on 4 come on).

Despite all that we won.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
                        Yes and those promotions really sucked the life out of them to boot.

Comment

The biggest negative I saw -- out a night of net positives -- was the lack of guys getting on the floor for loose balls. You would see it once in awhile on Gregg's teams, but that guy was usually headed to the bench soon afterward (a luxury we admittedly didn't have last night). We had three plays at least where an ORU guy was on the floor after a loose ball, and WSU players were waddling in trying to scoop it up and run. That's not valuing possessions, and I hope it's not a new thing with us.
                          “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
                            The biggest negative I saw -- out a night of net positives -- was the lack of guys getting on the floor for loose balls. You would see it once in awhile on Gregg's teams, but that guy was usually headed to the bench soon afterward (a luxury we admittedly didn't have last night). We had three plays at least where an ORU guy was on the floor after a loose ball, and WSU players were waddling in trying to scoop it up and run. That's not valuing possessions, and I hope it's not a new thing with us.
                            There was a big deal made by former players about getting pulled after every mistake. I would assume IHCIB is just letting dawgs be dawgs.
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I noticed that late in the game, Billy was MUCH more active in the huddle. I suspect we have a 1¢ Mike Miller dynamic right now.
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
                                Yep. Not a good omen for this season I'm afraid.

But we asked for the nice guy approach so this is what we're gonna get.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X