Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts after first game in the Post-Marshall Era?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we ready for a sub 10 win season? With all the uncertainty, it’s been pointless to look very far ahead. However, I did a little of that today and it’s scary. As it stands now we only have 24 regular season games (instead of the normal 30), three non con games left where we will be heavy underdogs, and 20 conference games. Yikes! This may be the most difficult schedule in WSU history. We may be favored in only 6 or 7 games this year. We need three buy games added to the schedule ASAP!

Comment

Hard to watch without Gregg Marshall pacing the sidelines flicking his wrist and shaking his watch.

But congratulations to HCIB on his first Division One win! Not bad to be at 1,000%.

Tougher game on Sunday.

But always good to see a win.

Comment

Originally posted by MadDog View Post
        Are we ready for a sub 10 win season? With all the uncertainty, it’s been pointless to look very far ahead. However, I did a little of that today and it’s scary. As it stands now we only have 24 regular season games (instead of the normal 30), three non con games left where we will be heavy underdogs, and 20 conference games. Yikes! This may be the most difficult schedule in WSU history. We may be favored in only 6 or 7 games this year. We need three buy games added to the schedule ASAP!
        ESPN is predicting "a sub 10 win season" for the Shockers. Difficult non-conference games leads to conjecture of ORU being only victory with losses to Missouri (playing better than expected), Oklahoma State and Ole Miss; in the AAC predicting victories over ECU (2), Tulsa, USF, UCF and Tulane (2). However, Ole Miss has yet to play a game so who knows how good they will be; Sunday's game against Missouri will be telling - a flip of the coin game but not optimistic without 10,500 Shocker fans cheering.

In the AAC the Shockers could better ESPN's projections adding wins over Tulsa, USF, Cincinnati, Temple and SMU - resulting in a 12-8 record. Should IHCIB and the Shockers improve as the season progresses possible road victories IMO against SMU, Cincinnati, UCF, Temple and a home court victory over Memphis, which translates into a second place finish at 17-3. Time will tell how the season plays out but I am praying HCIB and his Shocker team delivers a great season.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Aren't they charging like $500 a pop for those things? Kind of a steep price in this day and age right now, especially when it involves not even seeing a game.
          Edit: Lasso beat me to it on noting its only $50 or $125 depending on placement.

I imagine they are reviewing / approving each photo submitted, but if one of Marshall sneaks through it will be both funny and a new low for athletic department competence. I suppose they’d also frown on the likes of Jans and Forbes.

Over/under 2.5 attempts by 76 to get Richey cutouts, followed by email complaints to ADDB, Pres. Muma, the KS Board of Regents and Gov. Kelly after the orders are rejected? We kid because we love.
          Last edited by shox526; December 4, 2020, 05:51 AM.

Comment

“I’m going to do my job and my job is to do everything that other people don’t want to do." - Clarence Jackson

Love It

Comment

I’m reserving judgement on this team for now. This team did not play with Porter and Bilau available. That will be the same team that plays on Sunday, I think. Without Porter and Bilau, this team is not at full strength. After they play, then evaluate the team and see how WSU does.

Comment

Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post
                “I’m going to do my job and my job is to do everything that other people don’t want to do." - Clarence Jackson

Love It
                Fantastic quote. And that’s the exact reason why the final four team and subsequent few years were so good. We had about six of those guys. Right now looks like we might only have one or two.

Comment

Originally posted by calfan View Post
                  I’m reserving judgement on this team for now. This team did not play with Porter and Bilau available. That will be the same team that plays on Sunday, I think. Without Porter and Bilau, this team is not at full strength. After they play, then evaluate the team and see how WSU does.
                  I agree with you.

If every team just plays each game on a straight line from Week 1 to Week 20, and predicting is all 100 percent, we don't need to watch. That's why they play the games. Teams improve and digress. This team isn't without the talent to be a Top 40 Team, but coaching and grind it out attitudes play a part in January and February. I will be watching to see how it turns out.

Comment

Right now, in my mind, much hinges on Bilau. We are relatively weak at center compared to just about
                    every top 100 team out there. We need a much more dominant figure both defensively and offensively
                    around the basket. Wade is an undersized four which makes matters worse as he has not shown any
                    post up ability whatsoever either and if he can't at least be a perimeter threat on offense he isn't helping
                    much. Then there is DD. Very good players generally show up for every game and he has not shown
                    that..........we need for him to be that very good player most every game. Not worried about our guards.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                      Right now, in my mind, much hinges on Bilau. We are relatively weak at center compared to just about
                      every top 100 team out there. We need a much more dominant figure both defensively and offensively
                      around the basket. Wade is an undersized four which makes matters worse as he has not shown any
                      post up ability whatsoever either and if he can't at least be a perimeter threat on offense he isn't helping
                      much. Then there is DD. Very good players generally show up for every game and he has not shown
                      that..........we need for him to be that very good player most every game. Not worried about our guards.
                      The best players help the team in other ways when they're shot isn't falling. DD has the tendency to hang his head and let the rest of his game suffer. He needs to realize that we don't need him to be a star every night, just help the team. McDuffie had some of this in him as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

The best players help the team in other ways when they're shot isn't falling. DD has the tendency to hang his head and let the rest of his game suffer. He needs to realize that we don't need him to be a star every night, just help the team. McDuffie had some of this in him as well.
                        While i agree overall, we do need to give DD credit for securing some key rebounds late in the game even though he had struggled all game offensively.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

Think he'll do much better once the O gets into a rythem. Have a feeling he's a spot-up shooter for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

While i agree overall, we do need to give DD credit for securing some key rebounds late in the game even though he had struggled all game offensively.
                            ... and he snagged a loose ball from a 'scrum' that might have sealed the win.
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Allow me to clarify my point. Most of our posters have always viewed DD as some sort of special player, a great player destined
                              for the NBA. To be that kind of player you have to be CONSISTENTLY good, very good, in fact. DD has never been that kind of
                              player........yet. With his abilities I would expect to see a minimum of 10ppg and 8 boards a game. I'd also like to see more energy
                              and enthusiasm. He should be our leader this season along with AG. Only one game but for our team to compete with the likes
                              of Houston and Memphis I'm looking for much more out of him. He has to elevate his game consistently. If he can and Bilau is a
                              very pleasant surprise defensively and on the boards we could finish in the top four of the conf. btw, DD last season was only
                              a 35% shooter with 5 boards per game
                              Last edited by asiseeit; December 4, 2020, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post
                                I think our starting 5 is better than last years
                                I think I agree.

Losing JE hurts but Gilbert is light years better than Grant Sherfield (game and attitude)

Comment

Working...
                                X