Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

With players not using eligibility this year, Udeze and Poor Bear both have two years of eligibility remaining after this year. For eligibility purposes this year, their actual Jr. year, doesn't count. Next year will, effectively, be their Jr. years. Bilau has 4 years of eligibility after this year, but there is no classification below Fr.
    Well, yeah, that's just what I said, but not what you said the first time. You were equating our 4 bigs as 2 sophomores and 2 freshmen in your post, which would also imply that there is only 1 year difference between them, not 2 years. Just say that this is a throw away year. Juniors will still be juniors and freshmen will still be freshmen come next season. Simple.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
      My gut tells me no way AG stays and it is a toss up on Trey, but all of that can change.
      With Trey, it may come down to how much he wants to play with his brother. Seemed like a big deal for this year.

If AG has more grad school to finish (assuming he wants to finish it), that may keep him here as well. As AG is playing right now, I'm not sure how good the pro money attraction would be.

Comment

• Or if AG stays, and lil Wade wants playing time, he might move on and Trey go with him

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
          Or if AG stays, and lil Wade wants playing time, he might move on and Trey go with him
          I'll not think about that.

Comment

• Here's a take: I think Jans would be a helluva hire, proven guy coming back home. Not to mention a SERIOUS X's and O's coach that knows Shocker basketball about better than anybody.

So IHCIB kicks arse this year. GREAT! That's what we expect at Wichita State, and there is no reason the pedigree on the bench isn't fully capable of taking over when the time comes.

So IHCIB does great, he's first on the list for when HCCJ retries and is ready to hand the reigns over to HCIB in 5-7 years.

Let's keep this train rolling.

Comment

• And I felt bad instantly after posting the above, because shouldn't IHCIB be given the chance to be HCIB right away if he does great? Glad I don't have to make such tough decisions.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                Or if AG stays, and lil Wade wants playing time, he might move on and Trey go with him
                Not for sure on this...but it seems like I read that Trey couldn’t “go with him.” If he wants to get his extra year, it has to be at WSU.

Could someone confirm or deny that for me?
                78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                  what

Not for sure on this...but it seems like I read that Trey couldn’t “go with him.” If he wants to get his extra year, it has to be at WSU.

Could someone confirm or deny that for me?
                  Here’s what I found...kinda right with a slight difference.
                  —————
                  An NCAA spokesperson told the Union-Tribune on Wednesday night that “the additional eligibility is only at the current school” but clarified that Thursday morning.

“The eligibility is available at another school,” the spokesperson said in a subsequent email, “but the scholarship will count against team limits. If a student-athlete stays at their current school but has exhausted eligibility, their aid doesn’t count against team limits.”

78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Here’s what I found...kinda right with a slight difference.
                    —————
                    An NCAA spokesperson told the Union-Tribune on Wednesday night that “the additional eligibility is only at the current school” but clarified that Thursday morning.

“The eligibility is available at another school,” the spokesperson said in a subsequent email, “but the scholarship will count against team limits. If a student-athlete stays at their current school but has exhausted eligibility, their aid doesn’t count against team limits.”
                    I'm shocked. SHOCKED! I tell you. The NCAA made a sensible ruling.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

I'm shocked. SHOCKED! I tell you. The NCAA made a sensible ruling.
                      Agreed...but the "ruling" doesn't apply to Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, North Carolina or Larryville. Just so we're all perfectly clear. Lol
                      FINAL FOURS:
                      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                      Number of Times Ranked: 157
                      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                      #3 - Dec. 2017
                      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                      #2 ~ March 2014
                      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• IB is already shown to be a better coach than Cohen, and we gave him 3 years....

Just sayin.
                        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                          IB is already shown to be a better coach than Cohen, and we gave him 3 years....

Just sayin.
                          I'd say he was better than mumbles on his worst day. But Cohen was a nice guy.

Didn't he go back into insurance options?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

I'd say he was better than mumbles on his worst day. But Cohen was a nice guy.

Didn't he go back into insurance options?
                            I don't know, but when you say 'back' to insurance that just makes him being our coach worse than I knew....

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

We all know of our dearth of bigs' is not Brown's fault, but him making a concerted effort to fix it would go a long way whether he politic's for the job or not, because it's the right thing to do, for the sake of WSU basketball. No?

And what makes you think there's gonna' be "a coach to be named later?" He could just as well say "you can be the difference in winning the AAC next year instead of finishing 2nd." Don't be so negative arghh.

He's just stating reality. This is obviously a unique season for a multitude of crazy circumstances. I'd rather have IBs focus on this season than wasting time on a hypothetical recruiting trail. One of two things will happen:

IB will become permanent coach in which case he'll land better recruits after the interim tag is removed.

Someone else is named HC in which case I'd rather that individual bring in their own players.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockAzs View Post
                                Here's a take: I think Jans would be a helluva hire, proven guy coming back home. Not to mention a SERIOUS X's and O's coach that knows Shocker basketball about better than anybody.

So IHCIB kicks arse this year. GREAT! That's what we expect at Wichita State, and there is no reason the pedigree on the bench isn't fully capable of taking over when the time comes.

So IHCIB does great, he's first on the list for when HCCJ retries and is ready to hand the reigns over to HCIB in 5-7 years.

Let's keep this train rolling.
                                If WSU brings in Chris Jans, I don't think Isaac Brown will be replacing Chris Jans when he retires. For one thing, Isaac and Chris or both 51 years old. Isaac is 25 days younger than Chris. So not sure why Jans would be ready to turn over the reins to Issac in 5-7 years unless he is taking another job somewhere. In any case, if Isaac is not good enough to lead the Shocker program now after 20 years in coaching I don't think another 5-7 years will make that much difference. Assuming Coach Brown has aspirations to be a head coach I would not expect him to be around that much longer if he does not get the WSU gig.

While I am pulling for Coach Brown 100% he is only 8 games (excluding the D2 practice games) into the season. The Shocks have done pretty well at 5-3 and have not been totally out of any of their games. The teams has some holes and some weaknesses but they also seem to have a collective desire to win. Perhaps that is just very good team chemistry. Coach Brown deserves a lot of credit for that especially coming off of last year's turmoil plus the issues Covid has wrought on be able to practice and field a full roster. 16 games to go assuming they all get played. If the Shocks duplicate the results of the first 8 games they will finish the regular season at 15-9 (13-7 in AAC play). Is that good enough? Might come down to how the team performs in the AAC Tournament and beyond, if there are any games beyond that. If the Shocks advance to the NCAA Tournament I don't see how you don't give him a shot.

I think this is a team that is capable of winning any of their 16 remaining regulars season games. It is also capable of losing any of their 16 remaining games. As others have mentioned we will have a much better idea where this team and this Coach stand after the next 8 games.
                                Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 12, 2021, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X