Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
    Hypothetically, can someone please tell me why, if fHCGM did something more than what he said in his statement (lied and I don't care the reason for it), and such act(s) could have been deemed a "fire with cause" act, that he should have gotten a dime more than what he had already been paid?

Second, if it was not deemed a "fire with cause" act, I'm still not sure why he should get anything more, or feel that he should get anything more, simply because he lied to the fans and players as a representative of WSU. Don't get all emotional about this as I'm simply looking for logical reasons of 1+1=2, not 1+1=3.

I'm also not excusing poor actions by players.
    Even if WSU knew nothing, you also have to realize that it isn't just WSU deciding to fire with cause and it is over. UConn is still in a legal fight with their previous coach and their fire with cause. It could end up costing them more than the buy out.

If WSU would have fired with cause Marshall would have sued. Did WSU fell confident enough to prove their case in court? Baker actually didn't see Marshall strike him. Was there conflicting stories in the investigation? Was it a hit or push? Was it this or that?

Is it worth a 7.25 million dollar gamble?

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Yep. At least the actual punch part. Shaq said it happened on the court after the hard foul. Ron said it happened in the tunnel or hallway after Shaq was kicked out. Unless there were two incidents at the same practice, there are inconsistencies. If it happened in the tunnel how could there have been 7-8 witnesses?
      Is this the "single punch" theory?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

Is this the "single punch" theory?
        It’s not really a theory at this point. It’s simply the narrative that has the least inconsistencies.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I still believe Shaq was seeking payment for his story, but not from the media. I think he was looking for hush money.
          Hmmmmmmm.......

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            He said Marshall followed Shaq onto the concourse, which implies they were in the practice gym. I expect only a few players had the correct angle to see through an opened door or door window.
            Did he say concourse or tunnel? I envisioned them walking through the tunnel off the main court, but I probably heard it wrong.
            Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• The theory that has the least inconsistencies is that Marshall hit Shaq and several players anonymously confirmed that to ******* and likely to the law firm investigating the allegations. The details of where and when it happened are not consistent. The part that's consistent is that Marshall hit Shaq.

If there's nothing to the allegations Marshall gets $15 mill, or at least more than $7.5.

The theory that has the most inconsistencies is "I never laid a hand on a player or an assistant". That one is contested by several anonymous players and that statement caused Baker to go on record in support of Shaq.

Linsted's silence on the subject of his situation is pretty much a guarantee that the allegation is true. Assistants rely on recommendations from former coaches and their demonstration of loyalty to coaches to stay employed.

What this discussion is coming down to is a discussion of whether the ends justify the means. The ends are national prominence. The means are some questions about possible abuse of players. Conclusions of individual fans is probably going to come down to the level of abuse players should tolerate if that leads to more wins. What constitutes "abuse" is subjective. It's going to vary among players. To further complicate matters, what constitutes "abuse" among fans is going to have a lot of variations.

What constitutes "abuse" to the mother of a 16-year-old HS Jr is probably why the best option for WSU was to guarantee paying Marshall nearly $8 mill in order to have access to living rooms of recruits.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Did he say concourse or tunnel? I envisioned them walking through the tunnel off the main court, but I probably heard it wrong.
                Concourse.

Taylor Eldridge wrote an article about that segment of the podcast and it's basically a transcript and so it's a good reference instead of going back and listening to the podcast. The article is at https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...247424395.html
                Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• FYI - here's a tweet from Taylor that appears to infer he'll be doing an interview with Ron. People could try tweeting him or emailing him to see if he would ask Ron certain questions.

Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                    The theory that has the least inconsistencies is that Marshall hit Shaq and several players anonymously confirmed that to ******* and likely to the law firm investigating the allegations. The details of where and when it happened are not consistent. The part that's consistent is that Marshall hit Shaq.
                    Except that is not true. We have three stories on record- Shaq, Marshall, and Ron. Shaq says he was hit twice before he left the court, ******* says he got 8 guys to confirm that. Marshall says he never struck a player, but he didn’t say what happened. Ron says he didn’t see it because it happened in the concourse, but a couple guys said they saw it and Shaq said he got hit.

That is ALL we have to go on. I think ******* embellished the story, but I think 8 guys said Marshall hit Shaq because Shaq told them Marshall did.

If there's nothing to the allegations Marshall gets $15 mill, or at least more than $7.5.
                    And if the allegations are true, Marshall gets less that $7.5mil. Obviously, the facts differ from the article because of the reaction to Marshall getting $7.5 mil.

The theory that has the most inconsistencies is "I never laid a hand on a player or an assistant". That one is contested by several anonymous players and that statement caused Baker to go on record in support of Shaq.
                    Again, this is false. Marshall said he never physically struck a player, not that he never laid a hand on a player. That is a big difference that opens the door for the part of the articles that said Marshall shoved Shaq in the back, harshly enough that some players said it looked like Marshall punched Shaq.

Baker came out in support of the truth. He supports Gregg and Shaq.

Linsted's silence on the subject of his situation is pretty much a guarantee that the allegation is true. Assistants rely on recommendations from former coaches and their demonstration of loyalty to coaches to stay employed.
                    He was quiet because this was a giant nothing burger that was blown out of spec by one player. He was fine and Marshall was fine and they both moved on quickly. If it was true that KL made a derogatory comment about Maggie making the rounds with the team, then I would say whatever Marshall did was between men and stayed between men.

What this discussion is coming down to is a discussion of whether the ends justify the means. The ends are national prominence. The means are some questions about possible abuse of players. Conclusions of individual fans is probably going to come down to the level of abuse players should tolerate if that leads to more wins. What constitutes "abuse" is subjective. It's going to vary among players. To further complicate matters, what constitutes "abuse" among fans is going to have a lot of variations.

What constitutes "abuse" to the mother of a 16-year-old HS Jr is probably why the best option for WSU was to guarantee paying Marshall nearly $8 mill in order to have access to living rooms of recruits.
                    Again, I don’t think that is true. Listen to Ron describe it- He, Cle, and Fred fed off of it and came back for more, but different guys took it different ways and Marshall rode the high upside guys (like Cle) the hardest. Both Ron and Doug said anything verbal that was said was fine, nothing alleged crossed the line, just don’t hit the players.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Ron Baker is a good guy, wants to be a coach, he does not want to burn any bridges, so he is very diplomatic in his interview. Why does this board think there was just one assault? Ron should be asked about players & all in attendance turning their backs when it gets crazy &/or physical attacks occur. No one wants to be involved or draw ggg's ire and it also gives people plausible deniability that they did not see (because they turn their backs). And maybe if they don't say anything & ignore they won't be singled out also. And the best players probably not at as much of a risk and may not be able to relate to those that are singled out. But by making examples of some players, it intimidates all players. If it was just one instance of GM just losing it, wouldn't a lot of his players & ast. coaches over 13 yrs. have come to his defense, wouldn't he still be the coach? Baker is right, we must let it go and focus on uniting again.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichita View Post
                        Ron should be asked about players & all in attendance turning their backs when it gets crazy &/or physical attacks occur.
                        With all due respect, there is zero chance any players "turned their backs" or were asked to "turn their backs" so as not to see abuse. That's complete conspiracy theory bullcaca.
                        Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

With all due respect, there is zero chance any players "turned their backs" or were asked to "turn their backs" so as not to see abuse. That's complete conspiracy theory bullcaca.
                          KU fans aren’t the sharpest knives in the drawers.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

This topic has and will continue to be debated to death.
                            I get that, all time winning coach showed the door (albeit walking out with bags of cash).
                            The guy who took the program to heights only dreamed about by fans.
                            Especially appreciated by those who remember the dark years of the 90's.
                            Very dark years.

Will the program success drop off?
                            I don't think so... but that's the wishful thinking approach, here on Thanksgiving Day.
                            A whole lot more than just a great big delicious cooked bird today (still very important!) depends on whoever is picked to guide the ship through this debacle.

I appreciate everything HCGM (and Lynn) did for the program and city. We probably won't realize the extent of just how much for a few years.
                            However...
                            Everything must come to an end and IMO, the Marshall period had run its course in Wichita.
                            Between his antics, the family spoofs (some of which were Jerry Springer-like) and the over inflated egos and general attitude they were bigger than the school.
                            It was time to move on.

RB had the best quote...the issue has been a smog over the town.
                            It's time for a fresh shot of clean air and move forward to a new leader.

That is all.
                            Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Pretty well summed up

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

This topic has and will continue to be debated to death.
                                I get that, all time winning coach showed the door (albeit walking out with bags of cash).
                                The guy who took the program to heights only dreamed about by fans.
                                Especially appreciated by those who remember the dark years of the 90's.
                                Very dark years.

Will the program success drop off?
                                I don't think so... but that's the wishful thinking approach, here on Thanksgiving Day.
                                A whole lot more than just a great big delicious cooked bird today (still very important!) depends on whoever is picked to guide the ship through this debacle.

I appreciate everything HCGM (and Lynn) did for the program and city. We probably won't realize the extent of just how much for a few years.
                                However...
                                Everything must come to an end and IMO, the Marshall period had run its course in Wichita.
                                Between his antics, the family spoofs (some of which were Jerry Springer-like) and the over inflated egos and general attitude they were bigger than the school.
                                It was time to move on.

RB had the best quote...the issue has been a smog over the town.
                                It's time for a fresh shot of clean air and move forward to a new leader.

That is all.
                                We've been on the same page for like a year now. I'm ready for 2021 so I can go back to telling you you're full of ******* on the regular.
                                Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Working...
                                X