Potential Transfers into program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

I was actually thinking of Bilau, but more is always better.
    I have high hopes for Bilau as well as I have made clear in my posts. But high hopes aside we really do not know how effective Bilau will be in his 1st year of D-1 basketball and, personally, I don't think Bilau, Wade and Poor-Bear Chandler are enough to share 80 minutes a game at the 4 and 5. That would be an average of 27 minutes per game. If that is all we have they won't be able to play very aggressively for fear of foul trouble plus even if they aren't concerned with foul trouble it is hard to say how effective this group will be. I think we need at least one more, if not trwo more, front court player(s), preferable a high quality grand transfer or juco. We had 6 front court players (not counting Bilau) on this past season's rosster. Jaime, Trey, Mo, Isaiah, Asbjorn and Deantoni.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I have high hopes for Bilau as well as I have made clear in my posts. But high hopes aside we really do not know how effective Bilau will be in his 1st year of D-1 basketball and, personally, I don't think Bilau, Wade and Poor-Bear Chandler are enough to share 80 minutes a game at the 4 and 5. That would be an average of 27 minutes per game. If that is all we have they won't be able to play very aggressively for fear of foul trouble plus even if they aren't concerned with foul trouble it is hard to say how effective this group will be. I think we need at least one more, if not trwo more, front court player(s), preferable a high quality grand transfer or juco. We had 6 front court players (not counting Bilau) on this past season's rosster. Jaime, Trey, Mo, Isaiah, Asbjorn and Deantoni.
      I think we had one too many posts last year. Three seems to be the optimal number, or at least its historically worked well for us. IMO we have two guys currently on the roster, Poor Bear and Bilau, who will get minutes at the 5 next year. I think we definitely add one more big man in the form of a grad transfer or JUCO. If we add anymore than that I would take it to mean that Bilau will prob not see minutes at the 5. Just my take, will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I think we had one too many posts last year. Three seems to be the optimal number, or at least its historically worked well for us. IMO we have two guys currently on the roster, Poor Bear and Bilau, who will get minutes at the 5 next year. I think we definitely add one more big man in the form of a grad transfer or JUCO. If we add anymore than that I would take it to mean that Bilau will prob not see minutes at the 5. Just my take, will be interesting to see how it shakes out.
        I am looking at the 4/5 positions in combination and referring to them as front court players. It would be nice if all our guys could be used interchangeably although that is probably a bit of a fantasy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I'd say the chances of that happening are < 5%.
          Even if the NCAA approved all seniors coming back for next year, they'd find a reason that WSU doesn't qualify.

Also, how long until we are investigated for having a McD's All-American on the squad? There's a KU lawyer out there, somewhere, looking into it.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I am looking at the 4/5 positions in combination and referring to them as front court players. It would be nice if all our guys could be used interchangeably although that is probably a bit of a fantasy.
            I’m with you, I love roster versatility.

Seems like we’ve always had at least one guy who only plays the “5”. I’m thinking like Echinique, Orukpe, Midt, Stutz, Coleby, etc. Then we have the guys who can play both like Shaq, Willis, Hall, Poor Bear, etc.

I’m guessing Bilau is more in the mold of the latter group.

Can’t wait to see what type of big we are able to land in the upcoming weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

Thanks for asking; we are preparing to drive to our mountain cabin . Hope to leave on Wednesday.

Comment

• I’m starting to look at the 1/2 being interchangeable and the 3/4 being interchangeable.
                Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                  I’m starting to look at the 1/2 being interchangeable and the 3/4 being interchangeable.
                  I disagree on both fronts. Tyson would have gotten killed as a PG candidate this year. 3/4 are such different positions and body types. The 3 is more interchangeable with a 2 than a 4. A 3 is still more of a guard than forward. A 4 is traditionally a bigger and taller player geared for physical play underneath, but having the skills to roam the perimeter.

Comment

I’m starting to look at the 1/2 being interchangeable and the 3/4 being interchangeable.
                    as we saw last year, the 1/2 certainly are not interchangeable. Some 2s can fill in at 1 in a pinch, but we need at least two true PGs on the team.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

I disagree on both fronts. Tyson would have gotten killed as a PG candidate this year. 3/4 are such different positions and body types. The 3 is more interchangeable with a 2 than a 4. A 3 is still more of a guard than forward. A 4 is traditionally a bigger and taller player geared for physical play underneath, but having the skills to roam the perimeter.
                      Dex is a freak and can play 2-3-4, but not a lot of guys can do that.

Comment

Tyson would have gotten killed as a PG candidate this year.
                        I don't know if we know that for sure.

He was such a weapon n the catch-and-shoot that it would have been kind of malpractice to make him operate off the dribble.

Grant was billed as a quick point who could get into the lane and create at will. I am not so sure that Tyson wasn't quicker than both our first and second options at point.

Comment

• I think it all just depends on players’ skill sets, right? I mean some guys are probably more equipped to rotate between the 2 or 3, like probably Chaunce or Ricky. Craig Porter looks like more of 1 & 2. And JaDun appears to be a 3 capable of playing the 4 in a small ball lineup. And obviously Dex can do 2, 3, or 4.

I don’t think it’s necessarily “3 is only interchangeable with 2”, etc.

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of sometimes having two PGs on the court together, and sometimes having two wings together in the small ball situation. It’s not my favorite style, but as has been mentioned, Dexter, Zach Brown, Evan Wessel, and Ben Smith all played some or a lot at the 4.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• New school basketball is 3 positions. Point, Wing, Frontcourt.

Wichita State still plays 5 position basketball especially since we have had an old-school, post-up. back to the basket center.

Loyola Chicago went to the final four essentially playing 4 guards and a 6'8 "center"

There are lots of ways to play.

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of sometimes having two PGs on the court together, and sometimes having two wings together in the small ball situation. It’s not my favorite style, but as has been mentioned, Dexter, Zach Brown, Evan Wessel, and Ben Smith all played some or a lot at the 4.
                                Not sure we can do that in the AAC though.

Comment

Working...
                                X