2020-21 Annual "Transfer" Guess-a-thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

How is that not a thing now? Are there circumstances where that could be abused?
    Currently, unless granted a waiver. everyone except graduates with eligibility remaining must sit a year. That includes recruited walkons. Should you accept a scholarship to play for a school and the scholarship is not renewed, if you transfer, you sit. This is unfair. I believe all P-5 schools are now required to give four year scholarships. That is a conference rule and pretty much everybody else offers one year renewable scholarships. However, those four year P-5 scholarships can be cancelled due to any misconduct including something as minor as missing a curfew.
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Hate to sound like a hater and pile on, but the current group of transfers gambled and lost. Oh well, they'll have a year to work on their game (and attitude).
      Somebody’s dad probably has a call in to the NCAA.

Comment

• Until they all get waivers.
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
          Until they all get waivers.
          Yes, they could all apply for Hardship waivers. Which means a lot of it may come down to whether WSU objects to any of it. If WSU really did show ES the door, then he will likely get a waiver.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
            Heck now that ES isn’t playing next year, they might win that 25 games...
            Really? You think? I realize your sarcasm button was being held down as you typed that, but seriously....

Comment

• It’s gonna be interesting to see how the transfer rule plays out. On one hand, you have star players at smaller schools getting “recruited” to play on a bigger stage, on the other hand you have the freshmen and sophomores disgruntled on the bench that will likely and move down a level for more playing time. We have to be ready for both scenarios and try to snag some ACC type bench guys that could make an impact on our team.

Comment

• ES is almost certain to get a waiver. He has two areas where an appeal could be granted.

1) With CV on the loose, it's better to be near family.

2) He needs the support system of his family for his mental health issues..
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Even setting that aside, I just think transfer at will is a bad idea. Transfer when coaches change sure. But free transfers + Name and likeness payments just means you now have college free agency. It's just every offseason.
                  This is absolutely true. You can either do the name/likeness thing or have transfers without penalty. But implementing both just creates a structure that further favors the big boys. Pro athletes are paid but they're also under contracts, so they can't just pick one team for a year and leave once they're unhappy.
                  "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Transfers without penalty will be a net negative for us and for the sport and for the athletes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      It’s gonna be interesting to see how the transfer rule plays out. On one hand, you have star players at smaller schools getting “recruited” to play on a bigger stage, on the other hand you have the freshmen and sophomores disgruntled on the bench that will likely and move down a level for more playing time. We have to be ready for both scenarios and try to snag some ACC type bench guys that could make an impact on our team.
                      Did I just hop in a time machine and get sent back to WSU MBB 2004?

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Did I just hop in a time machine and get sent back to WSU MBB 2004?
                        We lose out on recruits to the SEC and ACC all the time. Not that hard to make the correlation. Guy signs with a school like VA Tech over WSU, doesn’t get playing time, regrets decision, transfers to WSU. I know a lot of guys on here like to think we’re on the same level as Duke but 18 year old kids don’t see it that way.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

Really? You think? I realize your sarcasm button was being held down as you typed that, but seriously....

My response was completely sarcastic.

Comment

We lose out on recruits to the SEC and ACC all the time. Not that hard to make the correlation. Guy signs with a school like VA Tech over WSU, doesn’t get playing time, regrets decision, transfers to WSU. I know a lot of guys on here like to think we’re on the same level as Duke but 18 year old kids don’t see it that way.
                            Yep, we are "at this level" as one coach once said. Think small time, then you are small time and will always be small time.

Comment

I don't think anyone on here thinks we're in the same league as Duke, but you're welcome to keep building up that strawman.

There's not a huge gap between WSU and the lower rungs of the ACC in recruiting draw. That was my point but you chose the high dive and belly flop instead with the Duke thing. FFS one of our transfers that couldn't cut it here just ended up at Pitt.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

I don't think anyone on here thinks we're in the same league as Duke, but you're welcome to keep building up that strawman.

There's not a huge gap between WSU and the lower rungs of the ACC in recruiting draw. That was my point but you chose the high dive and belly flop instead with the Duke thing. FFS one of our transfers that couldn't cut it here just ended up at Pitt.
                                Yes, we have beat out multiple mid tier P5s in the last few years for recruits.

Comment

Working...
                                X