WSU at SMU Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post

We’re also a miracle comeback away from the NIT.
    Don’t you dare bring a negative counterpoint to the table.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post

Tournament success supersedes conference success 10000% of the time. The only fans that would argue otherwise are KU fans.
      If you had gone 100% I don’t think I would have been convinced. The extra 9900% really opened my eyes. I guess I am a KU fan.

You’re right, success in the tournament is going to overshadow conference success in the eyes of the general public. A lot of people don’t tune in to CBB until march madness. It is the most talked about, visible event in the country for three weeks. It’s also a little bit of a crap shoot. Sometimes really good teams have a bad game, teams shoot out of their mind, etc.

Conference championships matter to the players, coaches, fans, and people who follow CBB closely. Also, I think success in conference more often than not correlates with success in the tournament.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

If you had gone 100% I don’t think I would have been convinced. The extra 9900% really opened my eyes. I guess I am a KU fan.

You’re right, success in the tournament is going to overshadow conference success in the eyes of the general public. A lot of people don’t tune in to CBB until march madness. It is the most talked about, visible event in the country for three weeks. It’s also a little bit of a crap shoot. Sometimes really good teams have a bad game, teams shoot out of their mind, etc.

Conference championships matter to the players, coaches, fans, and people who follow CBB closely. Also, I think success in conference more often than not correlates with success in the tournament.
        I appreciate a response that makes me chuckle (in a sincere good way -- we all cheer for the Shox).

I don't think it overshadows conference success... the name of the game is winning a national championship. I have this discussion so much with my KU co-workers, it makes me sick. How many of those conference championships would you trade for one NCAA tournament win? If I was a coach, I'd say all of them (if my bonus wasn't tied to conference titles). At the end of the day, what matters is winning on the biggest stage possible, let alone just getting to the dance. Honest to god, I put zero stock in conference championships-- what I care about is making the NCAA tournament. If that makes me a minority on this board, so be it.
        Last edited by WichitaStateGuy; March 3, 2020, 04:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post

Ive never said 3G should be fired, clown. I presented a Jeremiad that our trajectory has flattened and the current crop of players and our current coaching philosophies dont augur for marked improvement relative to our conference’s high performers. Our conference ‘s best team, Houston-also young-is projected a seven seed. Cincinnati and WSU are bubble teams, our conference leader is NIT bound. I do have higher expectations than ankle biting that crowd and always being a game or two from the bubble. Don’t you? Or maybe you’re cool playing the UNI role to Kelvin Sampson’s Houston?

Baylor and KU are potential number one seeds, WVU a 7, Texas Tech an 8, Oklahoma a 10, and Texas on the bubble. If our conference had two number one seeds I could get down with third place.

As as far as HCGM not winning the MVC until year five, he had a complete rebuild. He came into the AAC with an NBA player and NCAA tested talent. Good enough for 2ndin conference and a four seed, for all the good that did us.

The man needs X and 0 help and recruiting help and someone to stand up to him. Any good coach, or any leader for that matter, needs help. If he can swallow his massive ego enough to admit that, then we can move into the next tier.
          Well stated BOBB; you have characterized my position well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

Then you changed your position.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

but BOBB never mentioned good press conferences.

lol
              Last edited by MelvinLoudermilk; March 3, 2020, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post

but BOBB never mentioned good press conferences.
                He could fart in the microphone for all I care as long as he’s improving our players and game management.
                Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Then you changed your position.
                  No I have not changed my position; apologies if I failed to make clear to you the four points BOBB posted that reflect my thoughts:
                  1. "...our trajectory has flattened and the current crop of players and our current coaching philosophies don't augur for marked improvement relative to our conference’s high performers.
                  2. Our conference ‘s best team, Houston-also young-is projected a seven seed. Cincinnati and WSU are bubble teams, our conference leader is NIT bound. I do have higher expectations than ankle biting that crowd and always being a game or two from the bubble. Don’t you? Or maybe you’re cool playing the UNI role to Kelvin Sampson’s Houston?
                  3. As as far as HCGM not winning the MVC until year five, he had a complete rebuild. He came into the AAC with an NBA player and NCAA tested talent. Good enough for tied for 2nd in conference and a four seed, for all the good that did us.
                  4. The man needs X and 0 help and recruiting help and someone to stand up to him. Any good coach, or any leader for that matter, needs help. If he can swallow his massive ego enough to admit that, then we can move into the next tier."
                  I too never called for Marshall to be fired as I do not think that will ever happen unless he morphs totally into Bob Knight's last few seasons at Indiana. What I thought I posted is that I have had my fill of Marshall and look forward to his retirement at age 60 or sooner if he chooses to retire earlier and WSU hiring a young Head Coach who can lead the Shockers to a National Championship as Jay Wright has done at Villanova.

I did make predictions for which Ashockalypse labeled me as the biggest moron or the biggest #%Y#ing troll on this board. In this regard, as I posted earlier I will start a thread at the end of this season to review whether I am the biggest moron or if Ashockalypse is. Had the Shockers not pulled out the miracle win at SMU on Sunday Ashockalypse would have already won the inaugural year of this annual thread.

Comment

• Shocker1976
                    -Would you have wanted Jay Wright to retire in 2012 when Villanova went 13-19 and missed both the NCAA and NIT tournament?
                    -How disappointed were you when the Shockers pulled out the miracle win on Sunday? Follow up, did you have to delete an entire thread you had qued up to gloat about the loss or just a post?

Comment

No I have not changed my position; apologies if I failed to make clear to you the four points BOBB posted that reflect my thoughts:
                      1. "...our trajectory has flattened and the current crop of players and our current coaching philosophies don't augur for marked improvement relative to our conference’s high performers.
                      2. Our conference ‘s best team, Houston-also young-is projected a seven seed. Cincinnati and WSU are bubble teams, our conference leader is NIT bound. I do have higher expectations than ankle biting that crowd and always being a game or two from the bubble. Don’t you? Or maybe you’re cool playing the UNI role to Kelvin Sampson’s Houston?
                      3. As as far as HCGM not winning the MVC until year five, he had a complete rebuild. He came into the AAC with an NBA player and NCAA tested talent. Good enough for tied for 2nd in conference and a four seed, for all the good that did us.
                      4. The man needs X and 0 help and recruiting help and someone to stand up to him. Any good coach, or any leader for that matter, needs help. If he can swallow his massive ego enough to admit that, then we can move into the next tier."
                      I too never called for Marshall to be fired as I do not think that will ever happen unless he morphs totally into Bob Knight's last few seasons at Indiana. What I thought I posted is that I have had my fill of Marshall and look forward to his retirement at age 60 or sooner if he chooses to retire earlier and WSU hiring a young Head Coach who can lead the Shockers to a National Championship as Jay Wright has done at Villanova.

I did make predictions for which Ashockalypse labeled me as the biggest moron or the biggest #%Y#ing troll on this board. In this regard, as I posted earlier I will start a thread at the end of this season to review whether I am the biggest moron or if Ashockalypse is. Had the Shockers not pulled out the miracle win at SMU on Sunday Ashockalypse would have already won the inaugural year of this annual thread.
                      Dude, you talk too much.

Comment

You also said you wanted replace Gregg Marshall with Bob Richey as you spouted about better press conferences.

When Marshall is gone we can sure as hell get a proven recruiter and bigger name coach than Bob Richey.

Good grief.

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post

You also said you wanted replace Gregg Marshall with Bob Ritchie. When Marshall is gone we can sure as hell get a proven recruiter and bigger name coach than Bob Ritchie. Good grief
                          This is true and IMO in three years Bob Richey will be one of the hottest young coaches in D1 basketball. I live in South Carolina, so I have some familiarity with Coach Richey; my major concerns are will he still be at Furman in three years and will he be willing to relocate from South Carolina to Kansas. FYI Richey was born and raised in South Carolina similar to Marshall, so I have hope he will be the second head coach to leave South Carolina to lead the Shockers.

Comment

This is true and IMO in three years Bob Richey will be one of the hottest young coaches in D1 basketball. I live in South Carolina, so I have some familiarity with Coach Richey; my major concerns are will he still be at Furman in three years and will he be willing to relocate from South Carolina to Kansas. FYI Richey was born and raised in South Carolina similar to Marshall, so I have hope he will be the second head coach to leave South Carolina to lead the Shockers.
                            I guess living in the same state as a coach now makes people more qualified to judge how good a coach is...

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I guess living in the same state as a coach now makes people more qualified to judge how good a coach is...
                              Sarcasm? Where do you live? Does not living in South Carolina make you more knowledgeable regards Bob Richey? How about you offer an opinion regards replacing Marshall when is no longer the coach at WSU?

Comment

Sarcasm? Where do you live? Does not living in South Carolina make you more knowledgeable regards Bob Richey? How about you offer an opinion regards replacing Marshall when is no longer the coach at WSU?
                                My opinion is we will worry about that when we know what coaches are available multiple years down the line when Marshall finally retires. It will likely be someone with lots of experience.

Also where you live is irrelevant to judging a coach at this level. Their histories and experience are all pretty well known

Comment

Working...
                                X