X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

He did practically not play today....

So..... Maybe that counts!
    Stevenson still hasn't had his "come to Marshall" meeting yet.

Comment

• nm
      Last edited by mattdalt; March 2, 2020, 08:26 AM. Reason: not worth posting

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric View Post
        I think it means that GS has a family member that is a pain in the ass for the coaches.
        not sure it's JUST a family member.....maybe a mentor as well...

Comment

• Sherfield seemed engaged the last quarter

Comment

• GM said in the post game press conference that on Friday in practice GS played the best basketball he has played since he has been here and continued to rave about his play in the SMU game saying he had a lot to do with the great game DD had.

Comment

• Taylor has a pretty good story on what went on with Grant Sherfield the last week:

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                Sherfield seemed engaged the last quarter
                I thought he had some good minutes and good energy during the first part of the game. I thought that players like JB, Wade, and Eric, , maybe even Dexter and Jamie had no energy starting the game. I thought that Grant and Tyson gave some quick energy entering the game. However, the energy didn't seem to last long for the team and as usual, when things went bad, the lack of experience and lack of leadership reared it's ugly head again until good things started to happen at the 13:00 minute mark. But you need to jump on some other players this game when it came to the lack of engagement until the 13 minute mark.

Comment

• I took a month off from SN because I was bummed about how this young team has been playing and I knew I wouldn't have anything positive to say so I didn't want to bring down the house. But of course, someone else already did that didn't they? I can at least, positively say, that my negative posts wouldn't have even come close to calling for the early retirement of what is clearly the best thing to happen to the Shocker Basketball program EVER. Good grief. But hey, I served so you all could voice your opinions!

It's pretty clear Grant needed the mentoring, coaching, lecturing, motivation and little bit of a$$ chewing he quite possibly received last week. What a tremendous game he had. And what an unbelievable come back.

Comment

• Originally posted by giskard View Post
                    Taylor has a pretty good story on what went on with Grant Sherfield the last week:
                    https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...240794576.html
                    Yes a perfect circle.

Comment

• Players develop at different paces. Some are outstanding early in HS, but that's where they've peaked and that's their ceiling. Some don't really show their potential until they're upperclassmen in college.

That's something the player cannot control. Frankamp was further ahead of his classmates in HS, but he reached a plateau earlier than some others in his age range. That's not a knock on Frankamp. He simply matured as a player earlier than others, which gave the later-maturing players capacity for more improvement in college than Frankamp had available.

As I recall Sherfield was an incredibly highly rated player as a So, but dropped in his ratings every year. That would indicate he matured early. It has to be frustrating to be able to have your will with opponents as a So in HS, and then find it more difficult every year after that.

In Jr Hi and HS, he was the go-to guy because his development was way ahead of others his age. By the time he got to WSU, others his age had caught up.

I think Sherfield is a probable all-conference player before he's done here, but he's going to have to figure out and understand the level of competition against him, which has not been an issue for him up to now.

I watched Shamet go through some ball-handling drills before a game. Shamet had some insane handles. No-look on crossovers, between the legs crossovers, and doing that with either hand at a pace where his dribbling hand was about a foot off the floor and hitting the ball hard for some very quick bounces.

I think if Grant can understand and accept the weaknesses in his game and work on those areas, that he can be an all-conference player. He's going to have to accept that he's "not all that" and has a lot of work to do. Those who succeed understand that and do the work.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                        Players develop at different paces. Some are outstanding early in HS, but that's where they've peaked and that's their ceiling. Some don't really show their potential until they're upperclassmen in college.

As I recall Sherfield was an incredibly highly rated player as a So, but dropped in his ratings every year. That would indicate he matured early. It has to be frustrating to be able to have your will with opponents as a So in HS, and then find it more difficult every year after that.

In Jr Hi and HS, he was the go-to guy because his development was way ahead of others his age. By the time he got to WSU, others his age had caught up.
                        agree

Comment

• Meaningless statistic but.........

WSU Record when the players score 12 or more points:

Grant (8 times) - 8-0

Dexter (8 times) - 6-2

Erik (13 times) - 11-2

Tyson (10 times) - 9-1

JB (14 times) 11-3

Jamie ( 13 times) 9-4

Comment

• So you’re saying when we score points we win?

In all seriousness, it’s nice to have a guy or two score above their average in a game. Especially when we have 4-5 others who score around 10 points a game.

I think we’re better off when we spread the scoring load but that’s easier said than done. Ultimately I’ll take points wherever we can get.

We’ve just struggled so much with consistency on that end of the court.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

We’ve just struggled so much with consistency on that end of the court.
                              We've been consistently inconsistent, often within the same game.

Comment

• The vast majority of Shockernet predicted a roller coaster ride of a season based on being young. We have been primarily relying on two freshmen to carry the ball up the pitch. And when it hasn't been one of the two freshmen, it's been a sophomore or two.

And yet, here they are on the cusp of being in the NCAA tournament.

Can you imagine a junior Sherfield and Fernandes?

Painful as it seems because we got our hopes up, the reality is ... it's a great time to be a Shocker!

P.S. You can call it a court, but it will always and forever be a pitch to me. Auf geht's Bayern, Shieß on toor! Sheiß on tOOr ... Sheiß on toooOOOOoooor!
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X