No announcement yet.

Wichita State At Cincy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have a major issue with last second shots because we have 1 guy who can get his own shot and he's not the guy we necessarily want shooting unless he's having one of his white hot games - Erik. In a perfect world, I'd rather have Dennis or Etienne taking the shot but they are both pure catch and shoot guys right now. JB would probably be third but he's too tentative and seems like he prefers contested shots versus wide open looks. Sherfield can't get a shot off and is not a good shooter anyway, Wade is ok but needs to be wide open and not moving. That leaves Noah and it's a lot to put on a guy that just started playing, but he was 2-2 on threes yesterday. Doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about our ability to get better in these scenarios but you gotta at least run a play that ends with a shot attempt.

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post
      Didn’t that player From Tulsa go from the paint clear down to the three point line in 3.5 seconds to beat us
      Yes. He made a much tougher contested 3 over Wade and ES missed a fairly open wide open 3 towards the end. The difference is the Tulsa guard had been making them and had confidence. TE is probably the only player in this game that I would have felt good about taking any of those last few threes and I don't think Cincinnati was going to let him.
      I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
        We have a major issue with last second shots because we have 1 guy who can get his own shot and he's not the guy we necessarily want shooting unless he's having one of his white hot games - Erik. In a perfect world, I'd rather have Dennis or Etienne taking the shot but they are both pure catch and shoot guys right now. JB would probably be third but he's too tentative and seems like he prefers contested shots versus wide open looks. Sherfield can't get a shot off and is not a good shooter anyway, Wade is ok but needs to be wide open and not moving. That leaves Noah and it's a lot to put on a guy that just started playing, but he was 2-2 on threes yesterday. Doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about our ability to get better in these scenarios but you gotta at least run a play that ends with a shot attempt.
        Somewhere Samajae is smiling...

Comment

• What I don’t understand is why we don’t try and get it down low. Three possible things can happen

1. Chance at a higher % basket
          2. Foul and FT with possible 3pt play if the ball goes in.
          3. Open look from outside (assuming Jaime recognizes the triple team and passes it out quickly).

if it was me, I would spend some time running this scenario with different variations like double and triple teams until they can get a decent shot every time.

And if they get that working they might just incorporate it into their offense as a whole instead of the “dribble here, dribble there, jack a contested 3” offense WSU is now running.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

Every projection that has come out today has WSU in the field. Most not even in the last four in. Glad to know Fever has ran the numbers and come to a different conclusion than most people that do this for a living. I guess you should do bracketology full-time since you know a lot more than they do.

Look, perhaps the Shockers won't make the tournament, it is obviously possible. But this spoiled-ass point of view is just as dead wrong as anyone that says we are definitely in, as well.

I also love how we ***** about missing wide open shots, but then also ***** about the offense not creating good looks. Which one is it?
            You're quickly becoming an annoying little gnat that's flying around but adding nothing to civilization. All you have done now in the last 24 hours is ***** and cry but have offered NOTHING as a counterpoint. Your only stickling point is "ooo Joe Lunardi has us in..oooo". You're not even looking at the quality of play or the in-game situations that have gone awry. You have added ZERO to the discussion other than being a blind homer. Congrats.

Which is it? It's obviously both. We don't have the right players taking the wide open shots (they're open for a reason) AND our offense doesn't create anything to get an easier look for a shot. Oh and a few of our shooters just aren't good shooters and one step further, their shot selection SUCKS. A 20 foot open shot is by definition harder than an uncontested layup. Did you know this? That's why teams don't shoot 55% from 3 point range. But what do we do? We take the open 23 footers, because well, we're open, and nobody wants to pass the ball.

I just love these posters out there that think questioning the way things are going and decisions being made after another demoralizing loss when our tournament lives are at stake is a bad thing and that we should be thrilled right now that Joe Lunardi still has us in his bracket, so therefore everything is rainbows and unicorns.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
              Sure am glad we have GM as our coach instead of all these brilliant basketball minds who have never won a D1 game
              coaching or probably never having played any competitive basketball themselves. How many D1 wins does GM have?
              Any of you negative posters have any? AND he runs a clean program many of us are very proud of. I am disgusted at
              the Cincy thread and what I have read but you fair weather fans just keep posting your depressing views.
              So fans aren't allowed to criticize anything? Marshall can walk on water? Is that how you see it asiseeit?

If you were coaching, Mitgard would be getting 35 minutes a game while giving up 70 points in the paint. Next time, don't question why AM doesn't get more minutes. Marshall knows what he's doing right? We don't need your brilliant mind telling Marshall how many minutes AM needs. Hypocrite.
              Last edited by ShockerFever; February 24, 2020, 01:16 PM.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                We have a major issue with last second shots because we have 1 guy who can get his own shot and he's not the guy we necessarily want shooting unless he's having one of his white hot games - Erik. In a perfect world, I'd rather have Dennis or Etienne taking the shot but they are both pure catch and shoot guys right now. JB would probably be third but he's too tentative and seems like he prefers contested shots versus wide open looks. Sherfield can't get a shot off and is not a good shooter anyway, Wade is ok but needs to be wide open and not moving. That leaves Noah and it's a lot to put on a guy that just started playing, but he was 2-2 on threes yesterday. Doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about our ability to get better in these scenarios but you gotta at least run a play that ends with a shot attempt.
                Bingo.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Who honestly believes we're going to win out to DFW?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

You're quickly becoming an annoying little gnat that's flying around but adding nothing to civilization. All you have done now in the last 24 hours is ***** and cry but have offered NOTHING as a counterpoint. Your only stickling point is "ooo Joe Lunardi has us in..oooo". You're not even looking at the quality of play or the in-game situations that have gone awry. You have added ZERO to the discussion other than being a blind homer. Congrats.

Which is it? It's obviously both. We don't have the right players taking the wide open shots (they're open for a reason) AND our offense doesn't create anything to get an easier look for a shot. Oh and a few of our shooters just aren't good shooters and one step further, their shot selection SUCKS. A 20 foot open shot is by definition harder than an uncontested layup. Did you know this? That's why teams don't shoot 55% from 3 point range. But what do we do? We take the open 23 footers, because well, we're open, and nobody wants to pass the ball.

I just love these posters out there that think questioning the way things are going and decisions being made after another demoralizing loss when our tournament lives are at stake is a bad thing and that we should be thrilled right now that Joe Lunardi still has us in his bracket, so therefore everything is rainbows and unicorns.
                    Its not just Lunardi. Its literally EVERY single person doing a bracket.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                      Who honestly believes we're going to win out to DFW?
                      Not realistic. Would like another crack at Cincy though. Houston is a death wish.

Comment

• We are at least a 12 seed in every single bracket.

We can afford going 3-1 with a road loss at Memphis.

That would get us a 4 seed in the conference allowing us to get the 5 seed Memphis or SMU in the 1st round. I think we can handle either of those teams neutral floor.

Don't expect to win against Houston so that puts us at 24-9 and a 10 seed according to Torvik's TeamCast.

Comment

• My answer to shockerfever is this. When did I ever tell GM how many minutes AM or any other player should play?
                          I have merely defended his play in response to some very low BBIQ haters who like to pick at every thing he does
                          wrong. Fans can certainly criticize all they want but lately it seems that is the only thing they are capable of and I
                          find it counter productive. I'd bet most have never played or coached at a very competitive level in their lives. I suspect
                          some may even have questionable motives regarding our program and coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slalomshocker View Post
                            GGG post game on radio "someone has to step up and hit a shot. If you are going to shoot the 3, you have to make the 3. But we have to find someone to make a shot. We shot what, 27% from 3, that's not going to do it"

Really? That's how you are going to open your post game radio comments after you literally did zero coaching the last 3mins of the game? For 37mins you watched your team miss wide open 3 after wide open 3. Yet here it is, ~3min to go, down by 2 on consecutive possessions....result: Missed 3pt shots both times. Fast forward and the game is tied at 60 on consecutive possessions.... result: Same thing, no offensive plays ran to get anything at or going to the rim. Missed 3s and game lost. That said, the couple times we went towards the rim, we missed the layup, but at least you had a chance. and then there's 3.5sec.... man....I'm not a $3mil coach, but.... Stevenson & Etienne cross screening for each other just above the FT line, to get a shooter moving the right direction.... you know, like most coaches do it..... and how Tulsa did it... But instead you chose to once again throw your players under the bus. Great coaching. Starting to think its not the players egos getting in the way.

Down the stretch just dictate your players not shoot 3s unless your name is Tyson. There was no need to keep trying to get the 3 when your team cannot shoot the 3. Drive it, maybe you get fouled (doubtful), maybe you get an easy dump off. But for the love of basketball, COACH YOUR TEAM. They need you. I did come away with 1 positive..... he realized 52 wasn't getting it done and put him where he needs to be until he can prove otherwise.
                            In the closing couple minutes of the game Stevenson shot every time he touched the ball. The only shots taken by anybody except ES were the missed follows by JE and JB on one of Stevenson's shots. With 30 seconds left, down by 2, there was a play called. Stevenson had the ball and signaled to abandon the play, and for everyone to clear out so he could go iso against Cumberland. He dribbled for 10 seconds and put up a 22' shot. At that time he was 1/7 from 3. Cumberland gave him room for the shot - imagine that. The look with 20 seconds left was no better than the look with 30 seconds left.

Stevenson dribbled 10 seconds off the clock looking for a way to get past Cumberland? When Cumberland was playing him loose and daring him to put up a 3? That's not coaching - that's a player not respecting coaching.

I suspect there was some lack of execution of the game plan in the final minutes of the game.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                              My answer to shockerfever is this. When did I ever tell GM how many minutes AM or any other player should play?
                              I have merely defended his play in response to some very low BBIQ haters who like to pick at every thing he does
                              wrong. Fans can certainly criticize all they want but lately it seems that is the only thing they are capable of and I
                              find it counter productive. I'd bet most have never played or coached at a very competitive level in their lives. I suspect
                              some may even have questionable motives regarding our program and coach.
                              I have great respect for you asiseeit and look forward to your posts, however I get tired of the posters that peak behind the "never played or coached at a high level." There are many successful coaches that never even played HS basketball, or played beyond HS basketball that have a knack for seeing the game from an analytical perspective. Mark Few, Mick Cronin, Scott Drew, Bruce Weber and Cliff Ellis either never played varsity HS basketball, or they did, but never played in college. There are many on this forum who just because we have never played or coached at a high level don't have value to its nuances and strategies. Just something to think about.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                                I suspect Marshall sees himself in the boy
                                Great, now a sexual scandal

Comment

Working...
                                X