Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wichita State at Temple Pre-Game Discussion

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

    Always liked coach John Chaney.
    Really sullied his legacy with the "goon it up" incident
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

      I'm not trying to defend what anyone did as perfect and that everything was the refs fault. That wasn't reality. Who on the team do you think is a better ball-handler in that situation? I have sometimes been critical of Sherfield because I think the ball often sticks in his hands and we don't run good offense. Not uncommon for a freshman. But I also started to give him credit that the ball really sticks in his hands, and he's often at his best when he has a jumbled court with 3 dudes chasing him.
      There aren’t too many damn people that can beat a press with a dribble, especially when that dribble is trying to split a double team and ends up going backward when they can’t. Notice very few people ever trapped Fred. He would beat you with the dribble or his mind, take your pick.

      Our 4 and 5 should be at or near full court as posted up relief to the ball handler with the ability to turn and run by their guy if they overplay. I cannot remember where exactly they were but that is the best way to beat a desperate trapping press. Hit the biggest target in an area they aren’t trapped.

      Grant will get there.

      Comment


      • #93
        First a disclaimer. I believe GM is an excellent coach and the best fit possible for WSU and WSU for him.

        If ever there was a team to play zone against it appears to be Temple. Since some of you love metrics so here are some. Temple is rated in the 54th percentile against man to man defense and in the 4th percentile against zone defense. That means 96 of every 100 teams are better against the zone than Temple. I hope GM is not too stubborn to play some.

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

          Always liked coach Bill Cosby.
          FIFY

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

            There aren’t too many damn people that can beat a press with a dribble, especially when that dribble is trying to split a double team and ends up going backward when they can’t. Notice very few people ever trapped Fred. He would beat you with the dribble or his mind, take your pick.

            Our 4 and 5 should be at or near full court as posted up relief to the ball handler with the ability to turn and run by their guy if they overplay. I cannot remember where exactly they were but that is the best way to beat a desperate trapping press. Hit the biggest target in an area they aren’t trapped.

            Grant will get there.
            I had avoided this subject till you brought FVV into it.

            FVV was the Freshman who learned in the Final Four what it was like to handle the ball against a press when fouls were being let go. That was when Malcolm was out with 4 fouls. If he could go back, Coach Marshall would have done more to prepare him for that situation.

            Coach left Grant in the game, up only a few points, on the road, getting hacked over and over again. This was the perfect time in his development to expose him to that. Grant will be better prepared having gone though it come tourney time than FVV was.

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by Topshock View Post
              First a disclaimer. I believe GM is an excellent coach and the best fit possible for WSU and WSU for him.

              If ever there was a team to play zone against it appears to be Temple. Since some of you love metrics so here are some. Temple is rated in the 54th percentile against man to man defense and in the 4th percentile against zone defense. That means 96 of every 100 teams are better against the zone than Temple. I hope GM is not too stubborn to play some.
              Don’t count on it. He hates playing zone because of the way he teaches team rebounding. If we do play zone it will be because we are behind by double digits and nothing else is working. I will happy to be wrong.

              Comment


              • #97
                Temple got their mascot name, the Owls, because they had a lot of night students.

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

                  Always liked coach John Chaney.
                  Ole John had just a 'smidgen' of a temper...

                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

                    Don’t count on it. He hates playing zone because of the way he teaches team rebounding. If we do play zone it will be because we are behind by double digits and nothing else is working. I will happy to be wrong.
                    Ohh, I don't think your wrong. Chris Jans was the only guy that could talk him to playing it occasionally it seems.

                    Comment


                    • I'd like to see a little 3-2 using JE and AM together - I've advocated it before for a couple minutes at a time when AM plays

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

                        I had avoided this subject till you brought FVV into it.

                        FVV was the Freshman who learned in the Final Four what it was like to handle the ball against a press when fouls were being let go. That was when Malcolm was out with 4 fouls. If he could go back, Coach Marshall would have done more to prepare him for that situation.

                        Coach left Grant in the game, up only a few points, on the road, getting hacked over and over again. This was the perfect time in his development to expose him to that. Grant will be better prepared having gone though it come tourney time than FVV was.
                        I was there (Atlanta) and it happened right in front of me... that play was hard to watch along with the play where Baker passed up the trey and made the 'unselfish' pass to EO under the basket.
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                          Another great GIF possibility.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

                            Another great GIF possibility.
                            That was a 'big boy' play by Grant after what had transpired earlier.
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

                              I had avoided this subject till you brought FVV into it.

                              FVV was the Freshman who learned in the Final Four what it was like to handle the ball against a press when fouls were being let go. That was when Malcolm was out with 4 fouls. If he could go back, Coach Marshall would have done more to prepare him for that situation.

                              Coach left Grant in the game, up only a few points, on the road, getting hacked over and over again. This was the perfect time in his development to expose him to that. Grant will be better prepared having gone though it come tourney time than FVV was.
                              I’ve had people ask me why Sherfield didn’t get yanked while he was struggling to make his way through the mugging. When I reminded them that 3G is always several steps ahead and was coaching the kid up for March rather than to just win the game, it was like a light turned on and they finally seemed to understand. I hadn’t even considered the FVV angle, but it fits the same narrative.
                              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by ABC View Post
                                Temple got their mascot name, the Owls, because they had a lot of night students.
                                Big if true

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X