Wichita State (#23) vs Memphis (#21) Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

So how many saw at around the 12:00 minute mark of the second half after ES knocked down a 3 for a 5 point possession and a 17 point lead, Penny looking down the bench, making a timeout hand gesture and asking his coaches if he should call a timeout?
    I missed that possession. Was sure it was a turnover cause we missed a free throw.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

I missed that possession. Was sure it was a turnover cause we missed a free throw.
      Nope, it was actually a hockey assist by JB. He missed the FT on purpose, Dex got the board and kicked it out to ES for a 4 point possession.

It was so smooth, my wife actually asked me if they planned it - ha ha.

Comment

• Everybody has already shared a lot of great insights on this game so I will try not to beat a dead Tiger:

Shox looked locked in from the get go last night. Played together as a team and it was clear that Memphis' game plan was to take Erik out of the picture. Fortunately this team has so many weapons that can step up and take the bull by the horns when needed.

The T on Wade was not deserved for sure. As someone else mentioned, in fact he should have been at the line shooting two. Having said that, it is the second game where he has gone at it with a ref and while I respect and appreciate his passion, we need him on the court and mentally in to the game. You are not going to change the refs mind so arguing or even questioning will get you nowhere. I liked seeing Tyson in there trying to calm him down. Good look from a Freshman.

The thing I think seems different about this team this year is that virtually every player seems like a lock down defender. In past seasons we have had a couple of go to lock down guys, this year the seem to be all over the court.

Precious is a HECK of a player and I enjoyed watching his game. He seems to have the right attitude and will go far no doubt.

Can definitely see why HCGM recruited Lomax. He has that toughness and hustle about him. He won't light up the stat sheet every night but he was a very valuable piece of their game last night. Any 6'0" guard who can pull down 9 boards against the Shox deserves props.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shoxthemonkey View Post

Thank you. My google-fu needs some work , I guess. I'm glad ES is a Shocker because he's the kind of cocky guy I dislike when they play for other teams.
          The Memphis bench was giving him the 'stink eye', but he was backing up his play. Watching ES is worth the price of admission.

Wearing my complaint hat, why in the wide world of sports, don't they mic-up the reporters asking the questions... jeesh, it drives me nuts not to hear the question being asked.

Thanks for posting these videos... it's 5 o'clock somewhere.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I saw the postgame press conference too and I thought Marshall looked agitated or something. Almost as if we lost the game. I agree it would be pretty frustrating. He never really expounded beyond 1 or 2 sentences for anything. Normally, he's in a better mood after a win. Especially a big win.
            You know the shocks won. And I am really happy. But I don't think the shocks played all that well. A lot of missed opportunities. I think the guys were too hyped. There were a significant number of mental errors. That might explain why Coach didn't seem that happy.

And what the heck is wrong with Tre Wade? He is a good rebounder. When he gets the offensive rebound he just need go back up with it. If he gets fouled or make the shot so be it. All that pump faking is why he gets his shot blocked or travels. And then he wants to complain to the refs after the shot is blocked and get a technical foul. He needs to stop talking to the ref and just play ball. No refs have ever changed their calls because you want to go and complain.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I saw the postgame press conference too and I thought Marshall looked agitated or something. Almost as if we lost the game. I agree it would be pretty frustrating. He never really expounded beyond 1 or 2 sentences for anything. Normally, he's in a better mood after a win. Especially a big win.
              He stopped by wife's work after the game said he was very happy and excited for the win. Had a big

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                I listened to some of Memphis' post-game on Sirius. Their radio guys were kinda of aggressive in asking one of the players if he is going to work on not having so many turnovers etc. I thought it was a bit much.
                Yeah that's a young team. We learned that stuff last year. If they stay together they could win it all

Comment

• Originally posted by Durtymofo20 View Post

He stopped by wife's work after the game said he was very happy and excited for the win. Had a big
                  That leaves a lot to the imagination.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

That leaves a lot to the imagination.
                    Well his name is Durtymofo.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

You know the shocks won. And I am really happy. But I don't think the shocks played all that well. A lot of missed opportunities. I think the guys were too hyped. There were a significant number of mental errors. That might explain why Coach didn't seem that happy.

And what the heck is wrong with Tre Wade? He is a good rebounder. When he gets the offensive rebound he just need go back up with it. If he gets fouled or make the shot so be it. All that pump faking is why he gets his shot blocked or travels. And then he wants to complain to the refs after the shot is blocked and get a technical foul. He needs to stop talking to the ref and just play ball. No refs have ever changed their calls because you want to go and complain.
                      There was plenty of jawing at officials during the game. Ol boy with the short shorts was animated with the ref about a no call, he was for sure more argumentative than TWade was. This is the same official that game us a delay of game warming. Dude had an issue with us from the start.
                      All that said, i agree its a loosing battle to argue with officials, but it appeared to be more punitive towards our players.

Nice to win a game against a top 25 team playing with so many missed opportunities and mental errors

Comment

• Originally posted by bighouse View Post

There was plenty of jawing at officials during the game. Ol boy with the short shorts was animated with the ref about a no call, he was for sure more argumentative than TWade was. This is the same official that game us a delay of game warming. Dude had an issue with us from the start.
                        All that said, i agree its a loosing battle to argue with officials, but it appeared to be more punitive towards our players.

Nice to win a game against a top 25 team playing with so many missed opportunities and mental errors
                        I hear what your saying and agree. But I really don't care if other team players argue with the refs. That's their problem. I just want our guys to not do it and better understand that it will eventually hurt the team.

Comment

He went up with it. Several times. Folks called it dumb for getting blocked or being a turnover. If you get mauled thrice without a foul call, I'd hesitate the next time as well.

Comment

I hear what your saying and agree. But I really don't care if other team players argue with the refs. That's their problem. I just want our guys to not do it and better understand that it will eventually hurt the team.
                            I care if the other team's players are allowed to argue with the refs and ours are not. That's a problem.

Gray-haired fellow last night had serious problems with WSU from before the tip. Put the ball down and started counting more than once, called a delay of game for no reason, sought out a T for no reason. Somehow had no problem with allowing Memphis 3 minutes to switch lane assignments and sub before every free throw, nor was he in such a hurry to give us the ball when Memphis didn't have their press set yet.

Comment

• I got a chuckle out of Dexter in the last couple of minutes when he hit his big free throws. I don’t know if anybody mentioned it but it was funny when he was on the line by himself and all four Shockers were back on D. After he hit the first free-throw he reaches out instinctively to slap fives and of course no Shocker is there to do it. It was very awkward. And funny. Maybe it didn’t show up on TV.

Comment

• Originally posted by bighouse View Post

I think #11 is actually Prince’s long lost son.

Comment

Working...
                                X