No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs Memphis Pre-Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don’t want to start any rumors or spread any bad vibes, but am just making an observation— Dexter has recently taken “Wichita State Mbb” out of his instagram bio and also recently deleted his twitter account. Hopefully the deleted twitter account means he’s just trying to block out the noise and is focused on getting back to how he was playing at the end of last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

Agree. Many years in the early 60s, when WSU didn't make the tourney and several teams in the MVC were ranked. Of course there are the 2,3 years when Tulsa and WSU were both ranked. And I am recalling Loyola and Ohio State coming to Wichita when I think both were ranked.
      I actually looked it up and it looks correct. This is because for most seasons in the 60's the poll only ranked the top 10. So there were a few games that we would have been ranked in the top 25 had it gone that far. Fun thing I discovered though was in 54(before the Roundhouse) there was a 4 game home stand where 3 of the games were between ranked teams.

List of games:
      11 WSU vs 10 Cinci March 4, 2018
      11 WSU vs 10 UNI February 28, 2015
      4 WSU vs 9 UAB Dec 12, 1981
      4 WSU vs 9 Loyola Feb 4, 1964
      16 WSU vs 1 Ohio St Dec 17, 1960

Comment

• Originally posted by Shoxxxx View Post
        Don’t want to start any rumors or spread any bad vibes, but am just making an observation— Dexter has recently taken “Wichita State Mbb” out of his instagram bio and also recently deleted his twitter account. Hopefully the deleted twitter account means he’s just trying to block out the noise and is focused on getting back to how he was playing at the end of last year.
        WTF

Comment

• Originally posted by Joerg View Post
          Penny is girl name. What? And Precious is girl name. Whattt?? Is this Memis team big joking?

Welcome girls to Koch Roundhouse get ready for heavy sad night.

Thanks is Joerg
          Joerg is threatening to overtake Doc as the best reason to follow SN. Over/under until it gets old... March 2021?

Comment

• shockcrazy - don't forget Michigan

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

Yep. This is the reason. If you get ranked highly because of nothing but recruiting rankings, don't be mad about getting dropped when those recruits aren't on the team.
              Really? Their entire rankings was just on recruiting? Wins and losses did not play any role. Give me a hit Man of what your smoking. Your floating away. The fact that some of you guys say they were just looking for a reason to drop Memphis shows bias. Funny thing they did not drop UNC like that when they lost their point guard for the year. They kept Roy boys in the rankings and gradually dropped them until they lost so many games it would have been too obvious to keep them in. The evidence of sucking up to the so-called power conference teams continues.

The facts remain, that Memphis lost 1 game and they dropped 11 spots. No other team has dropped that many spots for 1 loss. The reasoning by these media clowns is nothing but false pretense. It is evidence of bias. Now I am not saying Memphis should not have been dropped after the loss, but 11 spots. Bulshit I am not buying this lame reasoning. Go shocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shoxxxx View Post
                Don’t want to start any rumors or spread any bad vibes, but am just making an observation— Dexter has recently taken “Wichita State Mbb” out of his instagram bio and also recently deleted his twitter account. Hopefully the deleted twitter account means he’s just trying to block out the noise and is focused on getting back to how he was playing at the end of last year.
                Maybe social media was a part of his issue. Social media can be rancid to mental health for some folks. I'm sure he has made his decision or he wouldn't have come back in the first place.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  Can't wait to check out the Memphis "media" on twitter tomorrow cheering for their Tigers, complaining about calls, taking snipes at WSU, etc.

Really fortunate to have a professional like Eldridge out there for us.
                  "complaining about calls" reminds me of some here on ShockerNet.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post

I actually looked it up and it looks correct. This is because for most seasons in the 60's the poll only ranked the top 10. So there were a few games that we would have been ranked in the top 25 had it gone that far. Fun thing I discovered though was in 54(before the Roundhouse) there was a 4 game home stand where 3 of the games were between ranked teams.

List of games:
                    11 WSU vs 10 Cinci March 4, 2018
                    11 WSU vs 10 UNI February 28, 2015
                    4 WSU vs 9 UAB Dec 12, 1981
                    4 WSU vs 9 Loyola Feb 4, 1964
                    16 WSU vs 1 Ohio St Dec 17, 1960
                    Yep. There were several games where one team or another just dropped out of the rankings, or was ranked the week after the game. That was the case when WSU beat a ranked CU team in 2012-13 I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

It's the biggest game to date, but so was West Virginia, South Caroline, OSU, OU and VCU at the time we played them.
                      True, but this is our first game against a ranked opponent (WVU wasn't ranked when we played them). And now that we're ranked, the point still stands of the potential to get overhyped.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by shox526 View Post

Joerg is threatening to overtake Doc as the best reason to follow SN. Over/under until it gets old... March 2021?
                        Way under.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

"complaining about calls" reminds me of some here on ShockerNet.
                          Are we members of the media?
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Maybe social media was a part of his issue. Social media can be rancid to mental health for some folks. I'm sure he has made his decision or he wouldn't have come back in the first place.
                            Potentially. I'm all for giving up social media (I wish I could). But the deleting of WIchita State BB off of his bio seems pretty ominous.

I'm rooting like hell for the kid but the more and more I see it, I just don't see him finishing his career at Wichita State.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Dex has a story on his insta listing the start time of tonight's game, so I'm not worried.
                              The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• RH: 3 THINGS TO WATCH - #21 MEMPHIS AT #23 WICHITA STATE

In a matchup of two strong defensive teams, Wichita State's priorities are clear.

The Shockers need to get back on defense quickly and communicate to organize their defense and stop Memphis from running into dunks and layups or good shots early in the possession.

Wichita State can help its defense immensely by limiting turnovers against the Tigers presses and traps. The Shockers can't make soft passes or lose their dribble in bad spots to help Memphis generate steals.

Memphis builds its defense around shot-blocking and steals. If Wichita State's big men struggle to finish around the basket, it's a problem.

As things stand, this is Wichita State's final home opportunity at a Quadrant 1 win.

Home opponents must rank in the top 30 of the NCAA NET to qualify as a Q1 win. Beating Memphis is important. It would also help if No. 38 Houston, No. 36 Oklahoma and No. 31 VCU move rise into the top 30. Wichita State's Q1 win is at No. 61 Oklahoma State and the slumping Cowboys appear to be a candidate to slip out of the top 75 (where Q1 road games end).

Comment

Working...
                                X