No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs Memphis Pre-Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am feeling better about the game tonight, we could win by 10+.
    Last edited by B1ShockFan; January 9, 2020, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• I was surprised this will only be the 6th game between ranked teams in the Roundhouse history.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
        Just hope the team doesn't come out too jacked up in their first *big* game and players start going away from what makes them good by playing hero ball and forcing things. If we stay under control and run our offense, then good things will happen.
        Could not agree more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
          It will be interesting to see how our young guards handle the size and length of the Tigers and their press. I re-watched the Ole Miss game last night and there were times that our guys still lofted lazy passes that were close to being picked off. That won't cut it against the Tigers who are much more athletic and probably more so than anybody we've faced yet. WVU had the bigs but I don't think their guards were nearly what we'll see tonight. I'm not sure Memphis has come up against a defense quite as good as the Shox but on the same hand, I'm not sure we've faced an offense anything like what the Tigers bring to CKA. And I sure would like to see our bigs be more aggressive under the basket when they get the ball, especially Mo. He seems to always hesitate before going to the basket and he's not the greatest leaper. Don't think he has much of a vertical because it sure seems his shots get swatted away quite a bit down in the lane. The Memphis bigs will swallow Mo, and AM for that matter, should he get in the game, with their timidity in the lane and in traffic. And for God's sake, pass the ball out to the open shooter you guys, especially when the defense collapses on you in the lane!
          Memphis has good size in the frontcourt, and about average on the wing, i think our guards are bigger than theirs.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
            I was surprised this will only be the 6th game between ranked teams in the Roundhouse history.
            I'm dubious.
            Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by B1ShockFan View Post

Could not agree more.
              It's the biggest game to date, but so was West Virginia, South Caroline, OSU, OU and VCU at the time we played them.

Comment

• I’m prepared to lose my voice tonight. I think after the first 10 minutes we’ll have a good idea of how good we really are.

Comment

• WTF is with .01’s mustache?

Comment

• Listening to that Podcast with Taylor and the Memphis guy I wish Taylor would say Wichita St. as opposed to using "WSU" when being interviewed. Using Wichita St. just sounds better and more nationally relevant IMO.
                    FINAL FOURS:
                    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                    Number of Times Ranked: 157
                    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                    #3 - Dec. 2017
                    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                    #2 ~ March 2014
                    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

yes, the bigs have to be quick and decisive. Slow movements, double pumps, and slowly backing guys down won't cut it against Memphis.
                      That's exactly what I'm talking about. I get so frustrated watching our guys, and they ALL seem to do it, that I just want to scream at the TV. That may work against the cupcakes but as we saw in the WVU game, it don't cut it against stronger, bigger and more athletic bigs.

Comment

• Originally posted by bighouse View Post

Memphis has good size in the frontcourt, and about average on the wing, i think our guards are bigger than theirs.
                        It's not necessarily our size at the guard position as much as it's their tendency to make lazy and ill-advised passes. We seem to be getting away with it thus far, based on our TO rate avg, but my point is that probably won't be the case against Memphis tonight.

Regardless, I'm hoping the Tigers will be at full strength. I want to see just how good we are. And I think we're good.

Comment

• I don’t think they hit 80 like they did in both games last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post

I'm dubious.
                            Agree. Many years in the early 60s, when WSU didn't make the tourney and several teams in the MVC were ranked. Of course there are the 2,3 years when Tulsa and WSU were both ranked. And I am recalling Loyola and Ohio State coming to Wichita when I think both were ranked.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
                                I was surprised this will only be the 6th game between ranked teams in the Roundhouse history.
                                #ThanksValley

Comment

Working...
                                X