Wichita State vs Ole Miss Pre-Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Topshock View Post
    Apparently there is some reason he is playing very little. Guess that means GM agrees with me, right?
    If this was mentioned already, I apologize, but GM yesterday said that ECU went small a lot of the time. He countered several times with 4 guards but I would imagine that the match up in the first half when AM played was when they were playing the 7 footers. In the second half, they were going with Gardner at the 5, and Berutti at the 4 some of the time. That's significantly small.

Comment

To topshock and 12eagle - IMHO your kenpom stats and suggestion that AM was the worst defender in the country is
      a load of crapola. I've played basketball, coached basketball and watched more basketball than you could imagine and
      I know what I see. Last season I lobbied early on for AM to get more PT. He was only one of several reasons we did
      so well once he started getting time but I don't believe we would have made it to the NIT and then upset the top three without
      him. He was a significant contributor to our late season success on BOTH ends of the court. This all started with a poster
      stating how bad AM was in just 4 minutes last game. That is just BS pure and simple. The guy plays his a** off and doesn't
      seem to complain about his limited role on this year's team. It's hard to make an impact with limited time just ask NF and DG.
      Now, if I see him playing at 80% I'll change my mind but I have never seen that from him. He looks like the ultimate team player
      to me and that's why I like him and, again, the highest fg% of anyone the past two seasons combined.

Comment

Nm will repost

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

If this was mentioned already, I apologize, but GM yesterday said that ECU went small a lot of the time. He countered several times with 4 guards but I would imagine that the match up in the first half when AM played was when they were playing the 7 footers. In the second half, they were going with Gardner at the 5, and Berutti at the 4 some of the time. That's significantly small.
          I watched the replay, you...

P.S. The only reason AM stepped out of bounds was because the defender pushed him out.
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

This will be as tough or even tougher than VCU. They have size, bulk and shoot the three well. Should be a great game.
            I think our depth will be the difference and we edge out a hard fought game 73-68

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
              To topshock and 12eagle - IMHO your kenpom stats and suggestion that AM was the worst defender in the country is
              a load of crapola. I've played basketball, coached basketball and watched more basketball than you could imagine and
              I know what I see. Last season I lobbied early on for AM to get more PT. He was only one of several reasons we did
              so well once he started getting time but I don't believe we would have made it to the NIT and then upset the top three without
              him. He was a significant contributor to our late season success on BOTH ends of the court. This all started with a poster
              stating how bad AM was in just 4 minutes last game. That is just BS pure and simple. The guy plays his a** off and doesn't
              seem to complain about his limited role on this year's team. It's hard to make an impact with limited time just ask NF and DG.
              Now, if I see him playing at 80% I'll change my mind but I have never seen that from him. He looks like the ultimate team player
              to me and that's why I like him and, again, the highest fg% of anyone the past two seasons combined.
              Not to mention, he seems to be GGG's favorite whipping boy!

Comment

Picking part of a sentence from a quote when the first part says "While AM sets a good screen initially" is definitely misquoting. Are you really this stupid?
                Some people need to be asked, with others, its rhetorical. The longer the conversation, the easier it is to define. This thread has clarified plenty for me!

Comment

My analysis is not wrong and my facts are completely accurate.

You have embarrassed yourself by resorting to name calling, because you have nothing to counter the accuracy of my post.
                  Your credibility as a poster just took a serous hit. I feel bad for you.
                  Well now that you have berated me, my post was directed to Shocklates on the thread, not you, for his negative vibe. I have since edited it. Apologies for the misunderstanding. Can we still be friends?
                  Last edited by shoxlax; January 2, 2020, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                    I too have been around basketball my entire life. I played in college and was on a collegiate staff for a few years, I know basketball better than most. Your refusal to acknowledge kenpom and synergy stats is truly amazing as they have become widely accepted and used by most coaches. AM was fine last game and has been most of this year. There are 2 other players at his position that are pretty clearly better than him this year. It's a great luxury to have AM as our 3rd or 4th string center and he is really good in that role. If you want to argue that he was good last year then you need to rewrite history as he had one of the worst defensive rankings in the county and one of the worst +/- ranking on the team last year. He has been much better this year and a lot of that is the coaching staff is putting him in better situations to succeed but this means fewer min.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                      Well now that you have berated me, my post was directed to Shocklates on the thread, not you, for his negative vibe. Apologies for the misunderstanding. Can we still be friends?
                      I am quoting you so that there's no confusion on who this is aimed at: Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

For some reason, 2020 isn't starting out the best for Shockernet; come on brothers and sisters...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I am quoting you so that there's no confusion on who this is aimed at: Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
                          So I take it hamsters are attracted to elderberries. Always learning something new on Shockernet. Not necessarily useful but new.

Comment

At the risk of beating this to death I ask 12eagle and others this: who believes we would have made the NIT and beat the top three seeds
                            without AM ? Once he was given extended minutes he was a significant contributor last season. He really hasn't had
                            the same amount of minutes this season...………...yet, however, kudos to MU who has taken advantage of HIS minutes.
                            I like ALL our players / team.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

GM has done a good job this year of picking spots to play AM where he has an opportunity to be successful. That is a big reason he has had a pretty good year this year.

Comment

Kermit Davis: Wichita State similar to 'difficult SEC road game' - 247 Sports

By BEN GARRETT
                                Posted: 01/02/20, 11":00 am cst

Ole Miss head basketball coach Kermit Davis joined the SEC teleconference Thursday morning to preview Wichita State, among other topics. Here’s everything Davis had to say …

"Ole Miss head basketball coach Kermit Davis joined the SEC teleconference Thursday morning to preview Wichita State, among other topics. The Rebels are 9-3 on the season and travel to take on the No. 24-ranked Shockers (12-1) Saturday at 3 p.m. CT on ESPNU. Here’s everything Davis had to say …

Opening statement: “I think our team has had a good December. We’ve won four games in a row against teams we were supposed to beat. Obviously we’re like a lot of teams — we’ve got to improve our toughness defensively. But I do think our team is playing with better confidence. We’re starting to move the ball. We’re leading the league in assists. Over the last five games, we’re averaging around 20 assists and only about 11 turnovers, so that part is getting better. It’s a great opportunity, great challenge at Wichita State. They look like the Wichita State teams of old; teams that can sure win their league championship and obviously win games in the (NCAA) tournament. This will be the fifth team we’ve played in the non-conference that’s been ranked in the AP or coaches’ Top 25. It’s a great opportunity to get a Quadrant I win on the road, which will be difficult, but obviously we’ll be well-prepared for our league opener Tuesday night at Texas A&M.”

On the practice week after the win over Tennessee Tech: “We had to take off on Monday, so we went recruiting, but it’s been really good. Because of no school we’ve done some individual work in the mornings. We’ve been more physical. We’re trying to improve ball-screen defense. Obviously (when) you play Wichita State, it’s a rebounding game, 50/50 ballgame because of the physical nature they’ve had for many years. We’ve been fighting a little bit of the flu bug. Austin Crowley and Khadim Sy have missed a practice because of some flu symptoms, but they’re back. We need to have two really, really good days this afternoon and tomorrow.”

On if he’d rather start SEC play this week like other teams in the conference: “Yeah, probably would, just to get into it and kind of get on the same schedule. But Texas A&M plays Saturday at Arkansas, too, so there’s no advantage at all. Obviously the Wichita State game and Wichita State is going to be just like a really, really difficult SEC road game, so I don’t think anybody has any advantages. But if you had your (choice), you’d go open up SEC play Saturday.”

On the balance of the WSU roster, which features seven or more players averaging between seven and 13 points: “We’ve obviously been trying to develop our depth. It’s so critical in league play, and it seems like this year, too, we’re on that Saturday-Tuesday schedule. Wichita State has great depth. They have four true centers they play. Their bench got shorter against East Carolina; I think they have one player (who’s) maybe sick. But they really play seven guys in double figures. They’re well-balanced, good depth in the front line and about eight guys that average six and a half or more.” ..."

Comment

Working...
                                X