No announcement yet.

Coach in today's Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RDR, I hope that some day years down the road we can remind you of the "You will never be promoted" comment when the name on the door reads:

Matt Braeuer
    Head Coach
    Mens Basketball
    Wichita State University

Seriously though...I kind of took the comment the same way rjl did, a way to motivate the most competitive person on the team to take it up another notch.
    That rug really tied the room together.

Comment

I don't think a quality leader would "motivate" through the press. Completely inappropriate in my opinion. I do not believe Coach was attempting to motivate through the eagle.

Go Shocks!!!!
      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

I think coach was just trying to deal with or temper expectations for the Shocks this year. However the part that rubbed me the wrong way is the 1 time in 19 years and he hopes that he can do that. Frankly if he gets us to the NCAA once in 19 years then I doubt he will be here long enough to get us there. The people in the stands do not show up and fill the arena "for once in 19 years" If you have a TOP 40 program in attendance then it better act like one in production or the attandance will be like the 1990's. Also, he is not being paid pretty good money "for once in 19 years".

As to Matt Brauer if the previous coaching staff only wanted a floor leader with little scoring potential they would ahve stuck with Adam Liberty.

As to the players being down in talent level I think this is in reference to a big man and the lack of a true slasher. While I like the players we have there is no doubt that we could use a 6' 10" post guy. PJ does not seem to be a slasher type. Mekel can create off the dribble but many times pushes it too far. Ogirri was not going to be a slasher type.

Comment

:wsu_posters:

[Staff edit: Removed copyrighted material]

Comment

Nothing but coach speak... I'll guarantee you that his private expectations for this program are off the chart. Wasn't that comment made during the weekly Valley coaches conference call? If so, I completely understand why he might have said what he did... he understands the audience isn't WSU fans... it's Valley media and coaches. It would be interesting to hear what he tells his recruits.
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I can only imagine how good this guy is with recruits and parents. I actually think that not having the D1 background, NBA Background and whatnot may be a big help. He obviously did something right at Winthrop and every where else he has coached, so we just need to give him time, let him say what he wants (because only he knows for sure what he is saying and why), and then we'll all be happy either at the end of this year, or definitely by the end of next year.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
                I actually think that not having the D1 background, NBA Background and whatnot may be a big help.
                I agree with this thought. I think all those things bring a certain arrogance. Coach Marshall has shown he's going to game plan a strategy to win games, not earn style points.

Comment

Put me in the camp that loves CGM's straight shooter approach. I get enough corporate-PR smoke blown up my rear at work - I don't need it from CGM.

I love hearing that he expects greater talent in the future. That tells me he's nowhere near satisfied with the current setup.

Engr - Re: his quote on 1 out of 19 years, I believe he was being completely sarcastic - as in 1 out of 19 is completely pathetic and unacceptable.

And I doubt MB would disagree with anything CGM said.

Comment

Some of you may remember James Gibbs who I recall was a point guard way back when. James has 3 okay years. However, his Senior year was very solid and he was very instrumental to our success that year. Likewise, I think MB has been solid for us each year. However, his Senior year is already turning out to be his best and most consistant.. He seems to excel more in this System with more of a green light to shoot the rock and score more when needed.

MB has alot of heart and plays hard to win. It is rare to see a player that can dibble faster than most players can sprint. MB's performance versus Creighton 2 years ago was a game we will always treasure. I will never forget him drain the 3 and 4 point plays at the end to seal the deal and help us clinch the Valley title. The great news is this. MB still has more special games like that to play and he will come through.

You always like to see our Seniors go out in a blaze of glory. Paul Miller comes to mind and he far exceeded our wildest expectations his Senior year. Look for all 3 of our Seniors to have solid Senior years. If that prediction comes to past, this Season will be better then many others expected.
                    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

what i get from these comments, though i believe them to be true, is that it's kind of a slap in the face to the recruits and players. telling the media that the previous staff didnt recruit well tells arbry butler, JT durley, graham hatch, and ramon clemente that WSU could'a got better.
                      veni, vidi, vici

Comment

Originally posted by notquiteBWing
                        what i get from these comments, though i believe them to be true, is that it's kind of a slap in the face to the recruits and players. telling the media that the previous staff didnt recruit well tells arbry butler, JT durley, graham hatch, and ramon clemente that WSU could'a got better.
                        Interesting point, however I believe he's talking about who didn't make it here, versus who did. As we all know, public (media) comments can be read a taken many different ways. I'm not sure your referenced players care what coach Marshall tells the media... all they care about is what he tells them.
                        :D

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan
                          Some of you may remember James Gibbs who I recall was a point guard way back when. James has 3 okay years. However, his Senior year was very solid and he was very instrumental to our success that year. Likewise, I think MB has been solid for us each year. However, his Senior year is already turning out to be his best and most consistant.. He seems to excel more in this System with more of a green light to shoot the rock and score more when needed.

MB has alot of heart and plays hard to win. It is rare to see a player that can dibble faster than most players can sprint. MB's performance versus Creighton 2 years ago was a game we will always treasure. I will never forget him drain the 3 and 4 point plays at the end to seal the deal and help us clinch the Valley title. The great news is this. MB still has more special games like that to play and he will come through.

You always like to see our Seniors go out in a blaze of glory. Paul Miller comes to mind and he far exceeded our wildest expectations his Senior year. Look for all 3 of our Seniors to have solid Senior years. If that prediction comes to past, this Season will be better then many others expected.
                          I realize this comment might offend some of the KU haters, but MB = MT
                          The difference is that MT played with several McDonald's All-Americans.
                          I'm sure many of the older posters recall the fire and grit shown by MT on the hardwood... there are similarities between the two. As many have said before, MB will make a lot of money someday in the coaching profession... and yes, it wouldn't surprise me to see him coaching his alma mater in 10-12 years... he has the coaching pedigree to take it to a high level.
                          :good:

Comment

Actually, there are some similarities on them as players. MB is a better shooter and I like his game better then MT. MT did not need to score much with his supporting cast. I'm glad MB has more of a green light this year to shoot and score. I hope HCGM does not have to box MB's ears as I witnessed on the tube as Larry Brown did MT as he was on the bench.

As the song says---"It's along way to the top if you want to rock." MB will indeed make a fine Coach. Not many get the opportunities that MT did to make it at this coaching level. MT indeed has made the best of his contacts so far with much success. I wish MB the best in his future Coaching career with hopes that he also gets his chance to shine and meets his goals and dreams as well.
                            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

His personality seems to ressemble that of a person who doesn't pull any punches. That's simply his style. No reason keeping everyone in a yellow and black tinted haze; tell it to us like it is, HCGM.
                              KU fans are the most arrogant while KSU fans are the most delusional. ~BostonWu
                              Criticizing this team is like criticizing one of Jerry's kids. ~DaShox

Comment

I disagree about Matt shouldn't be the one scoring. He definately should be scoring because he has one of the best shots on the team, and you use the weapons you have available to you.

Typically in the MVC, teams that have excelled have been teams with great guards, ones that could score as well as dishing it off. Just where do you think SIU or Creighton would have been without Funk or Tatum last year? How about Jacobsen, Brooks?

A PG is a 'make it happen' guy, and that means anyway you can.

I don't know how many games I have watched where it was Matt's shot in the beginning of the game that 'broke the ice', especially if other players were cold starting out.

We don't have a Sean Ogirri or Kyle Wilson this year (Kyle really had a nice shot - smooth form). Mantas's shot is okay, but he launches it from in front of him, more like a set shot form. Ellis has a nice shot, nice arc, good form, very high release, and if it starts going between the rim, he will be dangerous for us. Gal has a nice shot, but has been running hot and cold.

Our offense 'works' with Matt, he is the spark of the team.

Comment

Working...
                                X