No announcement yet.

Coach in today's Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did not take it as a slight on Mark Turgeon. Anybody making an honest assessment of the last two recruiting classes would say that (for whatever reason) they just didn't pan out.

It is not going out of the way to put down Mark Turgeon. It is just being honest.

The only returning player from the junior class is Wendall and the only returning player from the sophomore class is Gal. I am sure Mark Turgeon was not happy the way those two classes turned out. I am sure he hoped for much more.

It is what it is. The lack of depth has to be very frustrating for coach.

Personally I would not have added the comment about Matt not being an all conference player. But that is coach's personality. He has heaped losts of praise on Matt many times, including the same time he made that statement. :wsu_posters:

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
      I am not wild about Coach Marshall's tendency to publicly slight Coach Turgeon and his recruits. He has done so on several occasions.

I especially did not like his comment about Matt and not being an all conference player. I think he could have gone without making that statement.

I am sure some on this esteemed forum will find his comments refreshing, but I do not. The statement about Matt does not serve any useful purpose.
      I'm in agreement. I've noticed several comments about how we'll be better once we get some good players or in future seasons. What about this season and these players? I don't think he means ill, but it comes off kind of crappy.
      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

I am not wild about Coach Marshall's tendency to publicly slight Coach Turgeon and his recruits. He has done so on several occasions.

I especially did not like his comment about Matt and not being an all conference player. I think he could have gone without making that statement.

I am sure some on this esteemed forum will find his comments refreshing, but I do not. The statement about Matt does not serve any useful purpose.
        Coach who speaks the truth > coach who blows smoke up our butts, especially when we know he is.
        The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Anybody, how does this sound?

Your wife will never win a beauty contest.

Your kids will never make the honor roll.

You will never get promoted.
          I think you're completely misinterpreting what Marshall is saying about Matt.

He's saying that Matt's been a good player in the past and up to now, but we need him to be an all-conference player.
          The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

I believe HCGM is just saying that his offense isn't supposed to be centered around a PG who has to score for his team to win. In nearly all his years at Winthrop, his assist leader rarely scored over 8 points a game. MB is a very good player and he's never been an All-Conference player, and the odds of him being one this year are slim. Exactly what HCGM stated. - The last 2 Turg recruiting classes at WSU have been rather pathetic, HCGM noticed that and stated the fact to the media. What did you want him to say? "The last two recruiting classes were great! 2 guys that actually play from two years of recruiting is what I strive for in each recruiting class!" ??
            "You can observe a lot just by watching."
            -- Yogi Berra

Comment

That's my take, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl

He's saying that Matt's been a good player in the past and up to now, but we need him to be an all-conference player.
                I really don't think GM is expecting a 5'10", 159lb PG to be All-Conference. Matt's heart and grit is All-Conference, but his game and size is what GM characterized - very good.

Comment

look either have a picture of Christina Aguilera or Jennifer Love Hewitt as your avitar, the constant flipping of the pictures is killing me

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
                    Originally posted by rjl

I really don't think GM is expecting a 5'10", 159lb PG to be All-Conference. Matt's heart and grit is All-Conference, but his game and size is what GM characterized - very good.
                    I think 5'10" is about 2 inches too tall!
                    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                    -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by rjl

Now you are on to something. In that context, I think it is fine, provided the context is understood by the listeners and readers.

Comment

I think I remember Turgeon saying similar things about another Shocker point guard several years ago. I remember Turgeon saying that Craig Steven was not the type of player he would recruit, and if Turgeon was the coach when Steven was in high school, he would not have recruited him. Turgeon was complimenting Steven, however, saying that he was such a hard worker, and brought a lot of intangibles to the team.

Obviously, Braeuer is a much better player than Steven, but I interpret Marshall's comments about Braeuer to be similar to Turgeon's comments about Steven.

They are both compliments, as the coaches, in my opinion, seem to imply that the players have gotten more out of their ability than most players do. I seriously doubt Braeuer took offense to these comments, and I don't think we should either.

Comment

Originally posted by cjp27
                          I think I remember Turgeon saying similar things about another Shocker point guard several years ago. I remember Turgeon saying that Craig Steven was not the type of player he would recruit, and if Turgeon was the coach when Steven was in high school, he would not have recruited him. Turgeon was complimenting Steven, however, saying that he was such a hard worker, and brought a lot of intangibles to the team.
                          I remember that.

I think Turgeon's comments could be described as a back-handed compliment.

Comment

"These young men are very, very nice to coach," Marshall says. "They're just great guys -- I really like them. But our talent level is not what I've been used to the last couple of years."

Adam Knapp has written a profile of Greg Marshall in this weeks Wichita Business Journal. It is a good read. I don't think he's telling Knapp anything he hasn't discussed with his players .

Comment

Originally posted by shockball
                              "These young men are very, very nice to coach," Marshall says. "They're just great guys -- I really like them. But our talent level is not what I've been used to the last couple of years."

Adam Knapp has written a profile of Greg Marshall in this weeks Wichita Business Journal. It is a good read. I don't think he's telling Knapp anything he hasn't discussed with his players .

http://wichita.bizjournals.com/wichi...10.html?page=1
                              Probably a good article, but most won't be able to read it because it's subscription only.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
                                Originally posted by shockball

http://wichita.bizjournals.com/wichi...10.html?page=1
                                Probably a good article, but most won't be able to read it because it's subscription only.
                                I agree we need a summary
                                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
                                X