Erik Stevenson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

How do you define successful? Coaching a P5 School? Coaching in the Valley of Mediocrity?

Richey three year record is 23-10, 25-8, and, 25-7; with no public controversies. To me that is a successful coach.
    Did you just slam Marshall for winning in the "Valley of Mediocrity" but then prop up a guy padding wins in the Southern Conference?

You're not even consistent with your schtick.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Small interjection regarding Erik’s comments to the Eagle.

IMO, real leaders give credit to others when things go well and shoulder the blame when they don’t go well.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocktown View Post

Isn't there another valuable measurement, head to head?
        I'm not comparing to Marshall. That's not even a valid comparison. I'm just trying to define successful. Richey isn't there yet

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Making and winning in the NCAA tournament.

Bob Richey's Resume:
          NCAA tournament Wins: 0
          NCAA tournament appearances: 0
          heck lets go farther
          NIT Wins: 0
          Career Postseason wins in any tournament including pay to play tournaments: 0

You have low low low low standards for success.
          Interesting definition you have; please consider -

Jay Wright - 7 yrs HC at Hofstra - 122-85 record with no Tourney experience in his first 4 years; Year 5 NIT First Rd; Yr 6&7 1st Rd NCAA

Coach K - 5 yrs HC Army - 73-59 record with 1st Rd NIT in Year 3 his only tourney experience.

Maybe you need to rethink your definition and expectations for a young coach the Shockers should find to replace Marshall when he leaves.

Comment

• But they had postseason experience (even though limited). Not saying he's not a good coach for where his at. But Marshall was very successful at Winthrop.

Comment

Interesting definition you have; please consider -

Jay Wright - 7 yrs HC at Hofstra - 122-85 record with no Tourney experience in his first 4 years; Year 5 NIT First Rd; Yr 6&7 1st Rd NCAA

Coach K - 5 yrs HC Army - 73-59 record with 1st Rd NIT in Year 3 his only tourney experience.

Maybe you need to rethink your definition and expectations for a young coach the Shockers should find to replace Marshall when he leaves.
              I'm not planning a succession tree here.. you are. You asked if I considered Richey successful.

He is not. He might be in the future, but right now he does not fit my definition of successful. He has done absolutely nothing so far. No postseason wins, no conference championships. Really nothing...

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Did you just slam Marshall for winning in the "Valley of Mediocrity" but then prop up a guy padding wins in the Southern Conference?

You're not even consistent with your schtick.
                Read my posts Fever you will discover I have always been consistent regards Richey. Tough to draw realistic head to head comparisons but take a look at Marshall's first three years HC record at Winthrop and compare it to Richey's at Furman.

Regards Marshall's record - all achieved in second tier basketball conferences. Now that he has stepped up to IMO the 7th best basketball conference I have predicted he is unlikely to win the Conference, Conference Tournament and establish a winning record against Cincinnati and Houston (IMO Coach Sampson already owns Marshall).

Comment

Read my posts Fever you will discover I have always been consistent regards Richey. Tough to draw realistic head to head comparisons but take a look at Marshall's first three years HC record at Winthrop and compare it to Richey's at Furman.

Regards Marshall's record - all achieved in second tier basketball conferences. Now that he has stepped up to IMO the 7th best basketball conference I have predicted he is unlikely to win the Conference, Conference Tournament and establish a winning record against Cincinnati and Houston (IMO Coach Sampson already owns Marshall).
                  So he is unlikely to win a better conference than Richey ... But it's ok that Richey can't win his own second tier conference

Comment

I'm not planning a succession tree here.. you are. You asked if I considered Richey successful.

He is not. He might be in the future, but right now he does not fit my definition of successful. He has done absolutely nothing so far. No postseason wins, no conference championships. Really nothing...
                    Sorry 46 I never asked you simply posted that Richey was not successful; I asked you to define "successful" and gave you two examples of HC's at small schools who went on to win National Championship at Villanova and Duke.

Comment

So he is unlikely to win a better conference than Richey ... But it's ok that Richey can't win his own second tier conference
                      IMO if Richey gets the chance to coach at a higher level he will be at a minimum as successful a coach as Marshall.

Comment

IMO if Richey gets the chance to coach at a higher level he will be at a minimum as successful a coach as Marshall.
                        ok cool. That is your opinion as you have stated over and over.

The problem is the facts directly counter that. He's less successful in a worse conference than Marshall was successful in.

It's ok to be wrong, but the key is to admit when you are wrong and move on. Digging in your heels when you are wrong is a very bad personality trait.

Comment

Sorry 46 I never asked you simply posted that Richey was not successful; I asked you to define "successful" and gave you two examples of HC's at small schools who went on to win National Championship at Villanova and Duke.
                          Correct, after they did that they were successful. They were not before that. I know this is hard for you to comprehend. Richey isn't successful yet. The facts back that up. You can project all you want in this magical future in your head, but that's all it is. A dream. There are no facts you can lay out that say that Richey is a successful coach as of today when it comes to the important factors. You can say he's a nice guy, and he doesn't have turmoil. That doesn't make him a successful coach, just makes him a nice guy. There are lots of those in the world.

Comment

ok cool. That is your opinion as you have stated over and over.

The problem is the facts directly counter that. He's less successful in a worse conference than Marshall was successful in.

It's ok to be wrong, but the key is to admit when you are wrong and move on. Digging in your heels when you are wrong is a very bad personality trait.
                            Your opinion is the Big South is a superior conference to the Southern? OK, then different conferences and different times but one can compare Marshall's first three years coaching in the Big South to Richey coaching in the Southern Conference, please note

Marshall - 21-8; 21-9; 18-13

Richey - 23-10; 25-8; 25-7

Comment

• Seriously guys...there are multiple threads where this discussion could be taking place. Coaching criteria, future coach, future of the program, state of the program, etc. Take your pick. This thread left the team, and not in a positive way. Let it die.

Comment

Your opinion is the Big South is a superior conference to the Southern? OK, then different conferences and different times but one can compare Marshall's first three years coaching in the Big South to Richey coaching in the Southern Conference, please note

Marshall - 21-8; 21-9; 18-13

Richey - 23-10; 25-8; 25-7
                                You don't really understand this do you? Marshall wasn't successful then either. He has become successful now. Richey is not successful .. he may or may not become succesful. Period end of story. Trying to say Richey is already successful is your problem. He's not by any stretch of the truth.

Comment

Working...
                                X