No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs. West Virginia Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At least we didn't lose to a team like Bradley, Stephen F. Austin or Evansville.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Shocks will indeed improve. And seriously, this is not a bad loss at all. I was impressed with WV's poise and even more so their size, toughness and strength. They're going to end up ranked, watch.

We will learn, and this is the perfect time to have this kind of loss. And TW got abused by those big guys and got no calls, meanwhile he got called for weak fouls. Combine that with a challenging front line for ANYBODY not named Duke, and you have a perfect anti TW recipe. He's a bad bad boy, don't worry about him.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

Are you saying the three previous mentioned were stone cold winners?
        Really?
        JE is a decent 2 year player for the program, but is a 25% success rate one to base your recruiting strategy on?
        Really?
        They hired a specific guy who JOB was to reel in the overseas/international stud to assist with competing with other teams bigs.

If my company only had a success rate of 25%, we would be out of business in a month.
        if you were only successful 25% of the time at your job, how long would you have it?

That is all.
        Did we go to a final 4 with EO contributing? (He played virtually the same amount of minutes per game as Fred and started 30 games that year.) Did we get to the NIT semis with AM contributing? Is TW "Bush" Wamukota? I will concede that point.

Comment

• Even though the score was closer in the first half, I actually it showed far more flaws we'll have to fix. No Wichita State team can get out rebounded like that and expect to compete.

In the second half WVU pulled away with a string of baskets that came from a mix of clutch shots and mistakes on our end. But we weren't losing every 50/50 ball like in the first.

​You could pretty clearly see that we didn't know where out points were supposed to come from against a defense like that. We put up a lot of desperation shots instead of trusting that we'd start hitting the semi-open jump shots, and we definitely overdribbled in fear of turning the ball over on the pass. WVU never saw their defense stretched with the pass, and we rarely punished the over extension with back door cuts.

Honestly, our offense was Stevenson hitting hero ball shots. We need more contributors, and even Stevenson needs more quality looks.

This was a winnable game until started to get hot near the end, but WVU is only a good team, not a great one. Statistically speaking, they aren't one of the 25 best teams in country. If we want to be a tourney team, we'll have to lick our chops and take advantage of our next game against such a team to prove we belong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
            Game over. Lots of film for coach to look at. I’d rather win these type of games in March.
            Gotta win these types of games to get to March.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
              At least we didn't lose to a team like Bradley, Stephen F. Austin or Evansville.
              Good point, Aargh, but aren't you being a little unkind to SFA by mentioning them in the same sentence as Bradley and Evansville?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

This is far from the worst Thanksgiving tournament.

Remember 2015? 0-3 with a blowout to Iowa. That team ended up ok
                Injuries.

And we don't have 2 NBA guards on this roster.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Sounds we ought to just close up shop and get ready for next season... Jesus, this place is depressing sometimes.

Duke lost to SFA, at Home. It’s college basketball; $hit happens.

Season is far from over.
                  The Assman

Comment

• Also, our Final Four team got swept by Evansville and lost to a bad SIU team.

Teams learn and grow throughout the season.

Would you rather peak late like 2012-13? Or peak early like 2006-2007?
                    The Assman

Comment

• ES and JB all tournament team. ES no brainer but JB? Thoughts Tyson was more deserving... just my 2c

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                        Also, our Final Four team got swept by Evansville and lost to a bad SIU team.

Teams learn and grow throughout the season.

Would you rather peak late like 2012-13? Or peak early like 2006-2007?
                        I'd rather win games instead of lose them.

We don't need to play the "dark horse, cute, neat little under-the-radar" story anymore.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by bighouse View Post
                          ES and JB all tournament team. ES no brainer but JB? Thoughts Tyson was more deserving... just my 2c
                          Uh, did I miss something? 12 total points, 3-14 total shooting, 6 total turnovers, and just overall erratic SHJ-like play. How many players make all-tournament team? 20?
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Uh, did I miss something? 12 total points, 3-14 total shooting, 6 total turnovers, and just overall erratic SHJ-like play. How many players make all-tournament team? 20?
                            Thanks for reminding me that SHJ exists.

Comment

• Originally posted by bighouse View Post
                              ES and JB all tournament team. ES no brainer but JB? Thoughts Tyson was more deserving... just my 2c
                              They must include the on campus games.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I'd rather win games instead of lose them.

We don't need to play the "dark horse, cute, neat little under-the-radar" story anymore.
                                Newsflash. No one has gone undefeated in college basketball damn near 45 years. Teams lose games.

It’s not about playing the under-the-rader card anymore, but something tells me you’re smart enough to know what I meant.
                                Last edited by Shock Top; November 27, 2019, 11:43 PM.
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X