Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Are you saying:
    • Wiseman and Penny did nothing wrong and essentially a coach should be able to pay for a player to move from one town to another so he can play for him? or
    • paying for them was an illegal action and they need to pay but not the action the NCAA requires? or
    • you just hate the NCAA and are railing against them whatever they say? or
    Maybe you have another punishment should be submitted by the NCAA but a high school coach cannot be moving players for $11,000. Other family members or friends of families can pay but not coaches. Would you agree?

I don't always agree with the NCAA but a wealthy former NBA player like Penny can buy any player to his high school team and this does appear shady at the least. I'm not sure of the proper consequence but a consequence of some type seems warranted.
    I think the issue at hand is how is an amateur athlete expected to have $11k on hand to donate to a charity? The moving expense money was likely spent years ago and Wiseman has no way to get that money now (without harming his eligibility). It's just a very odd additional punishment to add.

I'm guessing the details say he can donate this money after he goes to the NBA.
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Probably the NCAA's way of saying "yeah, you need to pay it forward later, after you sign a big deal. But for now, if you could start playing again after 11 games or so and help get Memphis into the post season Tourney so we can have some interesting storylines............ and, heck, who are we kidding, we're the NCAA and we need the revenue. You can start playing this weekend. No harm, no foul."

Agreed on all fronts that if this had been any other non-major school, there would have been dire consequences for the school and the coach (who would usually be terminated) to follow up this story. But for now, as Punxsutawny Phil would say..."You're hypocrites, all of you (in the NCAA)."

Comment

• I don't like it when the NCAA gets creative. I like it when the NCAA follows their own rule book as closely as possible.

Anybody can help a family move, and if more people did this, society would be awesome. However, if you are a booster and you help someone move, you disqualify those kids from playing at the school(s) you are connected to.

They should make him sit this year out (losing one of his 5 years to play 4) and make him ineligible to play at Memphis in the future. Memphis should lose a scholarship for two years. That would be a worse result for WSU and the AAC, but it would be more reasonable and in line with the rules. Sure, he would just end up at Kentucky, but the key here is that Memphis should not benefit from Penny's generosity, and Memphis should take a hit on the head for not following the rules.
        Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• I think the $11,000 issue is a "Look, Squirrel" issue.

Comment

• I'm still trying to figure out why Penny paid a guy he didn't even recruit. Per Penny, he doesn't really know how he ended up on his team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post

I think the issue at hand is how is an amateur athlete expected to have $11k on hand to donate .
              Probably will be able to pay it with all the other illegal inducements his family may have accepted. Worst case, there will be a Memphis bank that will lend them the money for a future millionaire and to get him back on the court for Memphis.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                I'm still trying to figure out why Penny paid a guy he didn't even recruit. Per Penny, he doesn't really know how he ended up on his team.
                HaHaHaHaHa!

Comment

• 11 games is a joke, but then again so is the NCAA. Have a feeling this is just the beginning of these types of issues with Penny and Memphis.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
                    Why are they appealing? Do they think he should not be suspended? Or are they challenging the number of games he is suspended? Does anyone know?
                    Probably because in today's society, even being caught red handed, if you don't appeal you are admitting that you are knowingly guilty. He will plead innocence and take the slap on the wrist.

Comment

• The NCAA wants Wiseman in their tourney. The 11-game suspension lets them claim they're enforcing their rules, but ensures Wiseman gets some games under his belt before the NCAA promotes his entry in their tournament.

Probably give Memphis something like an 8-seed because their W/L record isn't going to be that great without Wiseman. Then give some undefeated mid-major a 1-seed in their bracket.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                        The NCAA wants Wiseman in their tourney. The 11-game suspension lets them claim they're enforcing their rules, but ensures Wiseman gets some games under his belt before the NCAA promotes his entry in their tournament.

Probably give Memphis something like an 8-seed because their W/L record isn't going to be that great without Wiseman. Then give some undefeated mid-major a 1-seed in their bracket.
                        LOL I see what you did.

Comment

• This may have been addressed earlier so my apologies. How can the player be found in violation of NCAA rules, but not the coach? This is not computing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                            The NCAA wants Wiseman in their tourney. The 11-game suspension lets them claim they're enforcing their rules, but ensures Wiseman gets some games under his belt before the NCAA promotes his entry in their tournament.

Still too soon, man. Still too soon.
                            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatWhiteBuffalo View Post
                              This may have been addressed earlier so my apologies. How can the player be found in violation of NCAA rules, but not the coach? This is not computing.
                              Actually the player was found ineligible. The school will be found "in violation of NCAA rules" at some point in the future. Memphis/Penny have damaged their program by committing a level 1 violation.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Actually the player was found ineligible. The school will be found "in violation of NCAA rules" at some point in the future. Memphis/Penny have damaged their program by committing a level 1 violation.
                                Exactly. Ineligible players can't play, regardless of whether it is their fault they are ineligible or not. What SHOULD be questioned is why an ineligible player be allowed to play AT ALL, and why the games he has played in aren't vacated. That seems like the precedent to me. Or has the ncaa declared him eligible and just punishing the school for playing him when they THOUGHT he was ineligible? Once again, ncaa actions seem random and haphazard.

Comment

Working...
                                X