No announcement yet.

James Wiseman ineligible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Wiseman" (in quotes because - was it really him or did Memphis sue themselves and put his name on it?) sued Memphis and the NCAA and found a judge who ruled that Memphis had to let him play until the court case was settled. Somehow that case was withdrawn after two games - maybe "Wiseman" ran out of money when the NCAA ruled he had to make an $11,000 charitable donation.

The plot failed when Memphis (with Wiseman's sudden "eligibility") lost to Oregon.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      "Wiseman" (in quotes because - was it really him or did Memphis sue themselves and put his name on it?) sued Memphis and the NCAA and found a judge who ruled that Memphis had to let him play until the court case was settled. Somehow that case was withdrawn after two games - maybe "Wiseman" ran out of money when the NCAA ruled he had to make an $11,000 charitable donation.

The plot failed when Memphis (with Wiseman's sudden "eligibility") lost to Oregon.
      Bingo on all counts.

It's not like Wiseman dreamed up that suit on his own. Memphis gambled that they'd assert their dominance over Oregon and cement themselves as a Top 10 team in the minds of voters and selection committee members before sitting Wiseman. It backfired cause they aren't as good as they think they are (shocking).

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
        What SHOULD be questioned is why an ineligible player be allowed to play AT ALL, and why the games he has played in aren't vacated.
        He was allowed to play because Memphis choose to commit a level 1 infraction. Memphis had held him out for the exhibition game and was trying to negotiate with the NCAA to determine how much he had to sit out - but the then went off the deep end and chose to play him when the NCAA wouldn't play ball. Very bad leadership in the Memphis Athletic department.

The games will be vacated in the future. The process will be that NCAA will formally open up a investigation for Level 1 infraction. Then the process will play out. But Sports Illistrate was told:

As one source told SI: “This would fall under aggravating circumstances. Knowingly playing an ineligible player could give a Committee on Infractions panel the leverage to apply harsher sanctions.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
          "Wiseman" (in quotes because - was it really him or did Memphis sue themselves and put his name on it?) sued Memphis and the NCAA and found a judge who ruled that Memphis had to let him play until the court case was settled. Somehow that case was withdrawn after two games - maybe "Wiseman" ran out of money when the NCAA ruled he had to make an $11,000 charitable donation.
          The lawsuit only stopped Memphis from declaring Wiesman ineligible. Memphis was not required to play him (no court can tell a coach who he has to play).

Comment

• Traditional amateurism is dead and the sooner schools adjust the better. The NCAA is always the whipping boy of the media and the athletes but this is a misplacement of anger because it’s the professional franchises mainly the NBA & NFL that are really the “bad guys” because they love having a FREE minor leagues which is why we have this mess. Okay, large TV contracts which force the NCAA to try and stay the course is definitely a factor in as well. But anyways, these are hundred million dollar to multi billion dollar companies (pro teams) onto themselves and they won’t fund a minor leagues. The NBA is trying but they have a long ways to catch up because of our culture.

We want stud athletes to go to our schools over the minor league pros because minor league sports don’t drive the same passion as our higher education system’s teams which super weird to actually think about. So let’s think about it again...our higher education system provides the most passionate sport’s fan bases, crazy uh?

The NCAA is severely understaffed and has limited power because that what the schools want! The NCAA are the schools!! (or at least the power 5 schools if you need a villain) If they wanted a “clean” and “pure” game they would have power to make it so but they don’t and they don’t.

This is simple a optics shell game to try and hold on the the past in the name of the student athlete...give me a break!

I’m not happy with how slimy Memphis and Penny look but they are playing the shell game which is encouraged by nearly everyone around the sport because there is overwhelming narrative of “let’s stick it the mean old NCAA who wants to stop this innocent victim’s god given right to play the game he loves.” And the masses eat that crap up which is crazy too! This is the very definition of propaganda everybody...

Bottom line this will continue to happen in this current climate until the schools stop paying for pro teams’ minor leagues.
            If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

• I'm having a hard time of having any sympathetic feelings towards the NCAA. The NCAA demonstrated for years that they selectively enforce their rules depending on if the school is a blue blood or not. There is no doubt in my mind that the NCAA is a corrupt, greedy, hypocritical organization.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Napoleon Dynamite View Post
                  I'm having a hard time of having any sympathetic feelings towards the NCAA. The NCAA demonstrated for years that they selectively enforce their rules depending on if the school is a blue blood or not. There is no doubt in my mind that the NCAA is a corrupt, greedy, hypocritical organization.
                  It's a business to make money. Though they have to pretend to play fair and Neutral. All about the Benjamins!

Comment

• Penny is just another example of the **** you movement towards anything that projects authority and accountability. No my rules; not my daddy; not my fault. Penny needs to be dealt with quickly and severely. But of course the NCAA will likely cave to the impending BLM protests denouncing any punitive action as racist.

T

Comment

• Originally posted by Napoleon Dynamite View Post
                      I'm having a hard time of having any sympathetic feelings towards the NCAA. The NCAA demonstrated for years that they selectively enforce their rules depending on if the school is a blue blood or not. There is no doubt in my mind that the NCAA is a corrupt, greedy, hypocritical organization.
                      I will generally tow the company line when it comes to bemoaning the NCAA considering we aren't part of the Blue Blood fraternity, but the reality is the NCAA does enforce a massive set of rules and NCAA sports are about the best sports we have left. Yes, a few top program cheat, but they do so at great cost and effort. UNC had some players taking a fluff course or two and they had to fight like hell for years in the courts to avoid a death penalty. The ChicKUns have lost players and more may be coming. LuLville lost a Hall-of-Famer coach and more. The bottom line is this: when you're being totally honest, the NCAA has a lot of teeth and Penny is being amazingly brazen. If you have UNC money, you might be able to stave off an execution. Does Memphis have UNC money?

T

Comment

• I heard on television they lost their appeal. That's no surprise.

Comment

Working...
                        X