James Wiseman ineligible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post

I think the rules state ineligible, but I am tempted to say eligible because there is little question about his eligibility if he goes to Kentucky, Duke or UNC.
    He's would be technically ineligible at those schools also.

But if he doesn't go to Memphis, this never sees the light of day.

Comment

• Instead of throwing $100k at a single junior, to try and pursuade them to come to your school, it's become apparent the much better use of your money is to throw $10k at 10 different highly touted 8th graders (that need help of course!). I mean if we do that, there's NO WAY we could possibly know what college they will go to, so it's gotta be completely above board, and at least a couple of those grateful kids will follow us around until college right?

Penny has discovered a much better system!
      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker(1) View Post
        A friend of mine was a football player (not even a star position player, a lineman for a Big 12 program a while back and he would tell me stories about boosters walking into the locker room after a big game (usually a win) and just tossing money around to EVERY player in the locker room. A story as old as time.
        Without naming names, I recall a star Big 12 football player jokingly say he took a pay cut when he went to the NFL. A shirttail relative of mine (funny, he was also a non-star lineman) played football at a lower level Big 12 program several years ago; when they played at a certain school, he was enamored with the vehicles parked near the practice facility in the players parking lot; he said it reminded him of a luxury car dealership.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

It's completely naive to think the Penny was just helping him out and had no intention of eventually getting the Memphis job and bringing him on, or at a minimum bringing him to Memphis East to win a high school championship.
          And it’s completely cynical and arrogant to say with 100% certainty that Penny wasn’t just trying to help him out. Especially when you’re so far removed from the situation. We don’t know what actually happened or what lies in the heart of a person yet many speak as though they do, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Life isn’t black and white.

Rules and laws on the other hand are typically black and white although even that is up for debate. So, regardless of intentions, I agree that what took place was some kind of violation.

But some of us are acting like Penny/Memphis personally came to their house and murdered a loved one. I get way too riled up about silly stuff to, don’t get me wrong, this just doesn’t happen to be one of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

And it’s completely cynical and arrogant to say with 100% certainty that Penny wasn’t just trying to help him out. Especially when you’re so far removed from the situation. We don’t know what actually happened or what lies in the heart of a person yet many speak as though they do, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Life isn’t black and white.

Rules and laws on the other hand are typically black and white although even that is up for debate. So, regardless of intentions, I agree that what took place was some kind of violation.

But some of us are acting like Penny/Memphis personally came to their house and murdered a loved one. I get way too riled up about silly stuff to, don’t get me wrong, this just doesn’t happen to be one of them.
            You clearly haven’t been to the AAC message board. Your defense of Memphis and Penny would probably wane slightly.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

You clearly haven’t been to the AAC message board. Your defense of Memphis and Penny would probably wane slightly.
              Just took a peek over there. Yeah, there's some serious delusion over this whole deal. Especially since Penny was already a booster, and was already jockeying for the head coaching job LONG before 2018.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Now that he has free time, James has been auditioning for nativity scenes that need another Wiseman

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I have not. I’ve never been an opposing team or our conference message board visitor.

And for the record I’m not defending Penny.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                    Now that he has free time, James has been auditioning for nativity scenes that need another Wiseman
                    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• When will he be eligible? Needs to be a poll. I say before Jan 1.

Comment

• The way the NCAA works, I'm guessing, wait what's today? Anyway, the day after tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

It's completely naive to think the Penny was just helping him out and had no intention of eventually getting the Memphis job and bringing him on, or at a minimum bringing him to Memphis East to win a high school championship.
                          Obviously he helped him out so he could play on he high school team. To say he did it because he thought the Tubby would be fired and he would get the job at Memphis s a huge stretch and a little crazy. The fact is Penny is very rich and what he gave to Wiseman for the move was very little in his world. He also has a history of helping many kids that had no future in basketball.

As of now, after the fact, it is technically against the rules so a few game suspension I would be OK with.

Comment

• It’s really Penny’s fault at the end of the day. Penny recruited him and paid him to play for the HS team. Penny then parlayed his HS connections to land the Memphis job and brought his AAU players with him, including one or two that had been given impermissible benefits. Penny should’ve known that he was doing something shady, but then again, he doesn’t think he needs to read the rule book. Why Penny hasn’t been suspended is beyond me.

Comment

• The NCAA statement said they considered Penny a booster prior to his coaching at Memphis because he donated $1 million to Memphis to build the Penny Hardaway Athletic Hall of Fame.

He then pays a kid to move from Nashville to Memphis. $11,000 to move. Him going to Memphis would look shady and against the rules if Penny wasn't the coach. Certainly doesn't look good with him as coach.

Comment

• I think, in these circumstances, he should have told the family, "If I help you move to Memphis to be closer to your daughter, just know you cannot play at Memphis or for me if I coach anywhere." He is a booster due to his alumni status. He should've known. Or, when he took the job, someone in the athletic dept should've informed him. The amount of his gift or his wealth is not the issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X