No announcement yet.

James Wiseman ineligible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memphis East may have to forfeit state title. Forfeiting championships seems to be a tradition in Memphis.....
    The Memphis East High School basketball team is in danger of being stripped of its 2017-18 title because James Wiseman and another player were ruled ineligible.

Comment

• He shouldn't play. Period. NONE of these guys should be playing in college. When my kids went thru the NCAA clearinghouse, there were a lot of questions that I seem to have forgotten they had to answer. But at the top of the list were questions regarding relationships with coaches, and specifically that the HS coach is not the same as the club coach, oh, and a lot of questions about whether or not you had received monies or benefits of ANY KIND during your amateur-high school status. That's it. Violation. Period. End of story.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker(1) View Post
        He shouldn't play. Period. NONE of these guys should be playing in college. When my kids went thru the NCAA clearinghouse, there were a lot of questions that I seem to have forgotten they had to answer. But at the top of the list were questions regarding relationships with coaches, and specifically that the HS coach is not the same as the club coach, oh, and a lot of questions about whether or not you had received monies or benefits of ANY KIND during your amateur-high school status. That's it. Violation. Period. End of story.
        If you cannot take any money at all or you lose your amateur status, then there should be a direct path to the NBA Draft from HS.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post

If you cannot take any money at all or you lose your amateur status, then there should be a direct path to the NBA Draft from HS.
          Not disagreeing, but there are other professional avenues as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Not disagreeing, but there are other professional avenues as well.
            If the NBA doesn't provide for players to be drafted out of high school, play for money won't end with earnings off of likenesses and such. It is going to progress until money is being paid to all players.

In football, the offensive linemen, etc. will argue that they deserve pay also and all of the monies for advertising, etc. is going to the Quarterbacks, Receivers, and Running backs. And the defense will argue, that most of them are being left out also. This really will be less about basketball and even less about the other minor sports, but the emphatic amount of changes will most affect those other sports. If non P5 schools want to continue to offer girls sports, soccer, and track and field, they will have to find even more big bucks. The P5 schools will continue to make their television contract money off of football and their minor sports will continue to exist.

Comment

Agree to agree. But the NCAA has no control over that. They should have control over the amateur athletics within their purview.

Comment

Not saying I agree or disagree.

What most are saying is one school that disagrees with rules shouldn't get an unfair advantage over the schools that also disagree with the rules but still knows they have to follow them

Memphis got where they are because they are cheating. Wiseman was the key piece to getting most of the rest of their recruits. Penny doesn't buy Wiseman, they end up with an average recruiting class.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                  Yes, I'm sure it was all altruism. Had nothing to do with getting the number one player in his class to the high school and aau team he was coaching. And procuring that number one player I'm sure had nothing to do with Penny getting the Memphis job.
                  I can confirm this because in the history of the NCAA that kind of self-serving thinking has never happend. It's always altruistic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

Agree completely. ^^ Not a big Penny fan, but in this case he helped out a kid before he had any idea he would be the Memphis coach. Why crucify the kid for that? A few games suspension seems appropriate to me.
                    It's completely naive to think the Penny was just helping him out and had no intention of eventually getting the Memphis job and bringing him on, or at a minimum bringing him to Memphis East to win a high school championship.

Comment

• I always thought rules were rules. The rules are listed on NCAA websites, across pages of material within the NCAA rulebook, filled on the interior pages of many basketball, football and various programs at each sporting event. When you become a booster, you are given rules that you have to follow concerning recruits. Things you can do. Things you can't do. Things you can say, can't say. Moving expenses that you can't pay. And straight up checks and cash from shoe companies that corral these athletes (I struggle with calling them student athletes) into attending certain institutions. The rules are being broken. Anymore they're more like guidelines, not actually rules that have to be followed. And the guidelines are being modified as this unfolds across the country at small and big schools alike, and NOBODY IS DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT. The rules continue to favor big boys. Coaches still coach. Players still get paid. The goverment (probably) isn't getting revenue from these benefits. I don't know what the answer is, but the whole thing is BROKEN. Period. End of story. There are programs out there that flat out should have been SHUT DOWN, yet their football and/or basketball programs are currently ranked in the top 10???!!! It's actually filthy disgusting to watch everybody within the NCAA turning to look the other way when something goes awry.

Comment

• A friend of mine was a football player (not even a star position player, a lineman for a Big 12 program a while back and he would tell me stories about boosters walking into the locker room after a big game (usually a win) and just tossing money around to EVERY player in the locker room. A story as old as time.

Comment

• Would Wiseman still be ineligible if he committed to another school?

Comment

Would Wiseman still be ineligible if he committed to another school?
                            As I read it, he should be. He took impermissible benefits. That should impact his eligibility.

The fact that it was a Memphis booster and he eventually went to Memphis means something should also happen to the Memphis athletic department and/or basketball program.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

As I read it, he should be. He took impermissible benefits. That should impact his eligibility.

The fact that it was a Memphis booster and he eventually went to Memphis means something should also happen to the Memphis athletic department and/or basketball program.
                              I think the rules state ineligible, but I am tempted to say eligible because there is little question about his eligibility if he goes to Kentucky, Duke or UNC.

Comment

I think the rules state ineligible, but I am tempted to say eligible because there is little question about his eligibility if he goes to Kentucky, Duke or UNC.
                                I say follow the freaking rules. Punish Memphis. Punish Kentucky. Punish Duke. All the whataboutism is annoying.

Comment

Working...
                                X