James Wiseman ineligible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
    If he was eligible to play for Penny in high school then I see no reason he would be ineligible for Memphis. The NCAA would have to prove that his assistance was to entice him to go to Memphis. He wasn't the coach of Memphis and at the time had no idea he would be considered for that job. He was just trying to stack his high school squad.
    The issue is that Wiseman accepted money solely for basketball reasons. Therefore he not an amateur. I actually don't think the NCAA is accusing Memphis of any wrong doing. They are just saying that Wiseman is no longer an amateur and can't play in the NCAA.

But now that Memphis has decided to play him anyways... THAT is a reason why Memphis will get in trouble

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

Could not agree more; GS is head and shoulders ahead of those two.
      Well maybe not a complete head and shoulders, but at least 2"!
      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Wooglin View Post
        The TSSAA (Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association) questioned his eligibility to play for Penny at Memphis East. The article states he was found ineligible to play due to a previous "prior link" to Penny. Also, Ryan Boyce (Fr. 6-5 SF) also was found ineligible. Obviously they appealed the HS ruling and won because it was determined that the TSSAA "was not clear in its application" (a technicality) but this HAS to have been on the NCAA's radar for at least 2 years.
        Nearly every state has a rule that a coach (and his close associates) can't coach a kid in high school and also in club (because then the kid is potentially getting trained for the high school team outside of the allowed practice calendar). I bet that's what is involved in that discussion, and if so, it wouldn't have any bearing on NCAA elegibility. I don't KNOW that's what was involved, as I haven't looked into it at all, but that's what my best guess says.

Comment

With Memphis thumbing their nose at the NCAA and allowing Wiseman to play....They potentially could be banned from post season ?? Thoughts ??

Comment

Originally posted by moshock View Post
            With Memphis thumbing their nose at the NCAA and allowing Wiseman to play....They potentially could be banned from post season ?? Thoughts ??
            I agree. I think they will get post season sanctions this year.
            Livin the dream

Comment

There is no doubt that the NCAA is going to come down hard on Memphis. They have to let KU know how upset they are with them

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

The issue is that Wiseman accepted money solely for basketball reasons. Therefore he not an amateur. I actually don't think the NCAA is accusing Memphis of any wrong doing. They are just saying that Wiseman is no longer an amateur and can't play in the NCAA.

But now that Memphis has decided to play him anyways... THAT is a reason why Memphis will get in trouble
                I like to play devil's advocate sometimes.

His family received money for moving expenses. Now maybe that's just a shell way of paying him, but they did actually have to move. But it's a far cry from what KU and Adidas were up to.

My main contention is if this behavior makes him ineligible at the NCAA level, it should have made him ineligible for high school (you know, where Penny was the CURRENT coach).
                You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                  This is exactly what Memphis fans wanted when they fired Tubby. They were just hoping they’d get an NCAA tourney run first that they could vacate later.
                  You'd a thought they'd have learned with Calipari.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post

I like to play devil's advocate sometimes.

His family received money for moving expenses. Now maybe that's just a shell way of paying him, but they did actually have to move. But it's a far cry from what KU and Adidas were up to.

My main contention is if this behavior makes him ineligible at the NCAA level, it should have made him ineligible for high school (you know, where Penny was the CURRENT coach).
                    By rule, it should have made him ineligible in high school. But the failure of the high school regulators to enforce their rules is not a basis for the NCAA to not enforce theirs.
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by shocksrbest View Post

You'd a thought they'd have learned with Calipari.
                      They did. They had a lot of fun. And then blamed the NCAA after they did something. Memphis and their fans wanted this. They ran off a good and clean coach so they could cheat and win more. They just thought they'd get to have fun before they got in trouble again.

We'll see if the NCAA has the stones to enforce blatant violations.

Comment

You hate to see it happen

Comment

I want us to have a shot at him.

Comment

Just checkin' in.

I mean, it's not like I was planning on resurrecting the Dirty Penny thread or anything...

"If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by.”

T

Comment

I was gonna bump it but the thread is locked.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Perhaps they should unlock it since, you know, cold was right.

It ain't trolling if it's true. That's on Memphis. I don't spend much time over there. Very anti-wsu moderation.

Comment

Working...
                                X