2019-20 Coach's Shows with Gregg Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

The second year JE is much improved over the first-year JE. I'd gladly take a JuCo who could come in and do what JE is doing this year, but it doesn't work that way. Might as well take a Fr who can contribute in years 2, 3, and 4 instead of a JuCo who's likely to contribute in year 2 and then graduate.

JE first year (18 minutes per game)

9.2. ppg
    54% FG
    38.7% 3pt
    6.0 Rebounds
    1.4 Blocks
    .4 Assists

(you wouldn't take this from a JUCO in his first year??????)

JE second year (22 minutes per game)

11.3 ppg
    50% FG
    23.5% 3pt
    6.4 Rebounds
    1.3 Blocks
    .5 Assists

And that is with a lingering foot injury in year 1 and a hand injury in year 2. After his foot injury subsided, JE was a big reason we made the run we did in the second half of the season last year.

I couldn't disagree with you more. If I can get one of these every 2 years....SIGN ME UP NOW.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post

Not sure your KenPom numbers back your claim, SB.

Yes, the 2013 Valley had two top 20 teams vs. one at this point for the 2019-20 American. But the MVC also had only those same two in the top 60, whereas the American has five, plus a sixth tied with the rank of the Valley's #3. Looks to me like the 2013 Valley was top-heavy, but the current American is MUCH deeper. (And of course everyone also knew that one of the Valley's top 20 teams wouldn't win two games in the NCAA.)
      Why? I didn't say it "was" but "might be". It depends how much credit you give to CU and WSU (and their final 4) and how you want to split hairs with the teams below them. The MVC KP average was 101 (bottom 4 is 167) and AAC 96 (bottom 4 is 160) - that is not "MUCH deeper" - in the big scheme of things it more similar than different.

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post

JE first year (18 minutes per game)

9.2. ppg
        54% FG
        38.7% 3pt
        6.0 Rebounds
        1.4 Blocks
        .4 Assists

(you wouldn't take this from a JUCO in his first year??????)

JE second year (22 minutes per game)

11.3 ppg
        50% FG
        23.5% 3pt
        6.4 Rebounds
        1.3 Blocks
        .5 Assists

And that is with a lingering foot injury in year 1 and a hand injury in year 2. After his foot injury subsided, JE was a big reason we made the run we did in the second half of the season last year.

I couldn't disagree with you more. If I can get one of these every 2 years....SIGN ME UP NOW.
        you think there is one out there?

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

you think there is one out there?
          I don't know, but Aargh said he was 'worn out on JuCo posts' and the first guy that came to my mind was JE which I pointed out to Aargh. Hypothetically, If the new player came in and duplicated JE’s first season for us Aargh would not be interested. He said the new player would have to play like JE is in his second season.

you can see the stats for JE’s first and second seasons I posted above and determine if that makes sense
          Last edited by MelvinLoudermilk; February 12, 2020, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• My mistake on JE's first year. Now that I see the stats, they are better than I recall. He is able to stay on the court fopr longer stretches this year.

There is one difference. Last year we had the unbalanced schedule that was significantly easier than the schedule we have this year. Last year we played the bottom teams twice. This year it's the top teams we play twice.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
              My mistake on JE's first year. Now that I see the stats, they are better than I recall. He is able to stay on the court fopr longer stretches this year.

There is one difference. Last year we had the unbalanced schedule that was significantly easier than the schedule we have this year. Last year we played the bottom teams twice. This year it's the top teams we play twice.
              We probably both agree that JuCo kids often do not pan out as good as JE. He’s been a real blessing

Comment

We probably both agree that JuCo kids often do not pan out as good as JE. He’s been a real blessing
                True... and 6'-11" Juco's don't grow on trees...
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Juco bigs tend to pan out better than guards though.

JE
                  Willis
                  Carter
                  Early
                  Hall

The Final four team had a collection of Juco Bigs
                  Hall
                  Lufile
                  Coleby
                  Early

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Why? I didn't say it "was" but "might be". It depends how much credit you give to CU and WSU (and their final 4) and how you want to split hairs with the teams below them. The MVC KP average was 101 (bottom 4 is 167) and AAC 96 (bottom 4 is 160) - that is not "MUCH deeper" - in the big scheme of things it more similar than different.
                    When you take just those 6 MVC teams, they average out to 57. The 7 AAC teams average out to 55. So there's not much difference between the top 6 MVC teams vs the top 7 AAC teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

JE
                      Willis
                      Carter
                      Early
                      Hall

Hall
                      Lufile
                      Coleby
                      Early
                      Damn, How did I forget those were juco guys? How dumb of me.

Good post.
                      Last edited by MelvinLoudermilk; February 12, 2020, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• the better JUCO guys we’ve had were all America level JUCO players. If we bring in JUCO guys I prefer only the top tier guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

JE
                          Willis
                          Carter
                          Early
                          Hall

Hall
                          Lufile
                          Coleby
                          Early
                          Technically Coleby was a D1 transfer from ULL.

Comment

Poo, Noah, gordon

Comment

• you don't think they are upset with their lack of PT?

Comment

you don't think they are upset with their lack of PT?
                                I'm sure they're not 'overjoyed' with their playing time (most competitors aren't), but when you read between the lines, those aren't likely who coach Marshall was referring to with his comments. I don't think any of the three have started this season.

Deep down, I'm sure Tate Busse, Jacob Herrs and Brycen Bush would like more playing time also.

Comment

Working...
                                X